Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 06-21-23, 06:59 AM  
bubbles76

Barlates Recommendation - Anyone have these?

I'm thinking about purchasing the following Barlates sets from Mary's:
  • Barlates Fusion Flow Series 3 dvd Set - includes Fusion Flow, Dynamic Flow, and Enery Flow sets
  • Barlates Bounce Series - includes Bounce, Interval, and Express sets
  • Barlates Beginners Series - includes Beginners Pilates, Loops, and Intervals sets

These are all DVD-R. I'm pretty convinced on the Barlates Strength and Barlates 1000 Reps sets, but waffling on the other three. I had the Bounce set before, but traded it for something better without really trying it . Any thoughts on these sets before the week is out and the sale is over?

Thanks!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
Old 06-21-23, 08:59 PM  
Colleen
VF Supporter

I do Barlates regularly and I've done all of the workouts in the Fusion Flow, Dynamic Flow, Energy Flow, and Beginner series. I don't have the Bounce series (no rebounder). They are all keepers for me - but I tend to like most of her workouts (unless it's a type of workout that I don't like).

I've used the Fusion Flow and Dynamic Flow workouts on days in between harder workouts and/or in combination with Classical Stretch or yoga. I've also used them for lunch break workouts on work from home days. The Fusion Flow series is easier than Dynamic Flow. Dynamic Flow Functional is the hardest one and a good intro to her tougher flow workouts.

The Energy Flow workouts are harder than the ones in Fusion and Dynamic Flow. Band and Sculpt are flow workouts with resistance. They are easier than the other two Energy Flow workouts (but not easy). Barre is a barre-based fusion workout. Functional is a mostly bodyweight functional training workout. She describes it as prep for her Endurance workouts - she uses a chair for balance for the lower body work and eases into the tougher combinations. Before you know it, you’re doing handstands.

Barlates beginner workouts are easier than Barlates workouts labeled intermediate or advanced but they are not that easy. I use them when I want a workout that has a slower pace and fewer reps than her harder workouts. I've also done Beginner Loop with a heavier loop when I still want to work hard but at a slower pace. The Pilates series has Pilates-inspired mat workouts and it's easy to modify up if you're familiar with Pilates. Beginner Intervals has short work intervals (30 seconds) and there are no tricky combinations. Ramp it Up and Compound Moves are low impact barefoot workouts. Ramp it Up is like a basic intro to her functional training workouts. The other two workouts have some impact which I didn’t find hard to modify to mostly low (I don’t like to do a lot of jumping).

If I had a nickel for every time I've had to prove that exercise can work without pain, I'd be a very rich woman.
- Pilates teacher Brooke Siler
Old 06-22-23, 08:32 PM  
bubbles76

Thanks Colleen! Would you say her Fusion workouts are truly a blend or more cardio focused? Closer to Ellen Barrett fusion or Jessica Smith fusion?

Okay, seems like Beginner is back on the list. You described what I was looking for perfectly - Barlates but with a slower pace and fewer reps lol!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
Old 06-22-23, 11:14 PM  
Colleen
VF Supporter

The Fusion Flow workouts are a blend, with some more cardio-focused than others. I’d choose Easy Cardio or Band if I wanted a workout with more cardio. I’d choose Dynamic or Mat if I wanted a mobility and dynamic stretch workout with less of a cardio effect.

The Dynamic Flow workouts are also a blend. Sculpt focuses more on unweighted lower body work, balance, and stretch/mobility than on cardio. The others are more cardio-driven but also include strength and stretch/mobility elements.

In general, Linda’s flow workouts are more challenging for agility, coordination, and balance than the ones that I’ve done by Jessica and Ellen. Linda doesn’t build choreographed routines like Ellen does. So, more like Jessica than Ellen in terms of workout design.

If I had a nickel for every time I've had to prove that exercise can work without pain, I'd be a very rich woman.
Old 06-23-23, 12:57 PM  
Hsim

I have the Fusion Flow Series but I am not sure that I have the set with the additional workouts. I occasionally do the easy cardio and the band one. I save these workouts for when I am starting over, recovering or just not feeling it.

I am glad to have this in my collection, I broke my ankle a little over a week ago and plan to use these when the boot comes off and I can start weight bearing.
Old 06-23-23, 09:16 PM  
bubbles76

So sorry you broke your ankle Hsim! I've never broken a bone, but am fearful that I might, as I'm quite clumsy. Do take it easy getting back to workouts. I'm glad you have these in your collection to ease back in to training.

Thanks for the additional insight Colleen. I'm still thinking. These are available for free online, but since Linda's gone to paying for some content I'll wonder if she'll pull these? Or will they have ads throughout, like I heard some people say that some of Jessica Smith's have (when those same ones only previously had ads in the beginning and end). Having them on physical media will solve that. Still, when I went to look at some of my past purchases I see I have some virgin workouts that I bought over a year ago. And I just MADE a purchase! Sigh! What to do...
Old 06-24-23, 05:16 PM  
Colleen
VF Supporter

Hsim - Sorry about your ankle!

Linda’s YT membership is a new thing that she started this year. According to the coffee talks on her channel that I’ve watched, she plans to continue producing a mix of free workouts that everyone can access on YT and pay workouts that are for members only. The workouts that she’s uploading to the members-only section of her channel are the pay workouts (what she used to call her “non YT” workouts).

The free workouts are still accessible to everyone. The new free workouts that she’s produced since starting her YT membership are released to the members-only section of her channel first and then move to the free section about a week later. Given that she’s still producing free workouts, I wouldn’t expect her to change the availability of the free workouts.

I buy the Barlates downloads because I prefer to own the workouts. I’ve occasionally done a Barlates YT workout to try before I buy and I’ve watched some of her coffee talks and clips for the pay workouts. So far, I’ve seen ads only at the beginning of her videos.

So, I’d recommend trying out the free content and then buying the ones that you want at the next sale. There will always be another sale.

Old 06-25-23, 01:36 PM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen View Post
So, I’d recommend trying out the free content and then buying the ones that you want at the next sale. There will always be another sale.
Thanks Colleen! You've successfully talked me out of buying for the moment . There will always be another sale

Tags
barlates, barlates beginners, barlates bounce, barlates fusion flow, linda wooldridge