Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-09, 12:29 PM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

Question Does Billy Blanks ever mirror cue?

For various reasons I have a lot of Tae Bo. I thought I would try the instructional one today to see if I like it.

It was fine, but I kept fixating on the fact he wasn't mirror cueing. That is about my only workout commandment, Thou Must Mirror Cue.

I did the Instructional of The Ultimate Total Workout, VHS. He addressed the fact that he was only doing one side of the body, but he never mentioned mirror cueing that I heard.
I have the 8-minute Workout with that and the Advanced Workout, then I have the TB II, the entire set, then Billy's Bootcamp and Foundation and Energy.

My question is does he mirror cue in any of these? I don't want to open them all to check. I am sure they have more "value" if they are unopened.

Any info is appreciated.

Renda

ETA: I also have Crunch Tae Boxing, Kickology and Tae Boxing Jams. I guess this is where he got the "Bo" in Tae Bo, huh .
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-09, 12:58 PM  
Snuckles

You know, I never paid attention. Nor have I ever cared if I went the opposite direction of the people on the tape. If mirror cueing bothers you, it'll probably bother you even more when he doesn't do the same amount of reps on each side of the body. If so, send them back because you won't enjoy them. Me, I enjoy them and take them for what they are worth. I get a good workout with Billy and have a great time!
Snuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-09, 01:31 PM  
bubbles76

Of all the ones I've tried, he does not mirror cue I have not noticed the reps though.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-09, 02:34 PM  
JP44

No, Billy never mirror cues, but I just mirror him! His choreo is not at all complicated (3 sets of round house kicks, 3 sets of jab, cross, knee, kick, etc. ) so I just watch and ignore what he says about right/left. Works for me!

Joan (JP44)
JP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-09, 03:10 PM  
geojill

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP44
No, Billy never mirror cues, but I just mirror him! His choreo is not at all complicated (3 sets of round house kicks, 3 sets of jab, cross, knee, kick, etc. ) so I just watch and ignore what he says about right/left. Works for me!
That's exactly what I do. Billy never mirrors, but I just mirror him and do not pay attention to his left/right cues. It's pretty easy, actually.
Old 03-26-09, 09:28 PM  
Fitstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP44

Joan (JP44)
I've never had a problem with it either since the workouts are pretty easy to follow!
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-09, 09:52 PM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

Thanks for your information.

Maybe if I just forget the instructional workouts and go to the workouts themselves where things are not slowed down it will work. I usually have to do the workout a few times before I can forget to listen to what the instructor is saying. What happens is I get half way into a move and he says, "Now do this with your right leg," I realize my left leg is the one doing the move and next thing you know, I am on my butt.

I don't much care about repetition counts because I never can keep up with it myself and I am not so diligent that I feel uneven reps will throw off my whole physique. Mirror cueing is about my only pet peeve.

Thanks again,

Renda
Old 03-26-09, 09:58 PM  
geojill

Renda, I never worry about uneven reps. I mean, look at Billy...he certainly doesn't look uneven! As long as you're not doing just one of his videos over and over, I wouldn't worry about it. If you are, every other time just switch sides if he forgets a side. I've got lots of his videos and in doing the variety, I have never noticed any kind of lack in one side over the other on my physique.
Old 03-27-09, 07:13 AM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

Thanks, Jill.
Reps is not an issue for me, either. Once you go above 8, I get lost anyway

But my severe lack of coordination and inability to follow choreo that is not mirrored is an issue.

Everyone loves these so I really wanted to try them, especially since I have so many. But since I assessed the total cost of my collection as less than $10, I am not out much if they just sit pretty on the shelf.

Renda
Old 03-28-09, 03:45 AM  
juberann

Now that you mention it,you are right,Billy never mirror cues but,honestly,I have never noticed before. I just follow along and really pay no attention to right or left. It does bother me that he does uneven reps sometimes but,again, once I know the workout, I just compensate for that and even out the reps myself.
I love TaeBo so much that I could pretty much overlook anything Judy
juberann is offline   Reply With Quote