Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 04-07-16, 11:37 AM  
TinaT

New Computer/Some Discs won't play

I recently acquired a new computer. The main use was to use my workout dvds and if I wanted to use Youtube workouts. This is one of the latest Dell monitor/computer all in one systems. The screen is bigger than some tvs.

So I've been using my FIRM and Tracie Long workouts with no problem. But this morning I decided to really commit to using my re-acquired Suzanne Bowen workouts. But the VLC Media Player "does not support this form of disc." Anyone else have an issue with her dvds?

I'm so disappointed! This is my only area to workout in, so using one of our dvd/blue ray players ins not an option.
Old 04-07-16, 11:55 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

That would be frustrating! If all else fails you could consider an external DVD player that plugs into a USB port. My laptop doesn't have a DVDs player. I use it mainly for streaming, but may consider getting one if the DVD player on the tv dies. They aren't expensive.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
Old 04-07-16, 12:26 PM  
TinaT

I just played Tracey Mallett Booty Barre with no problem. You would think in this day of technology these issues wouldn't exist.
Old 04-07-16, 12:37 PM  
Lorelai

My computer won't play any Element dvds or Self Bikini Ready Fast. My OS is Ubuntu (Linux) so Windows 10 isn't the issue. It's frustrating!

"Practice makes progress." Jessica Smith

"There's always an option before we quit." Jessica Smith

"You don't have to be a ballerina to feel like one." Ellen Barrett
Old 04-07-16, 01:05 PM  
TinaT

I just asked Mary at Total Fitness if she's had any issues with Suzanne B. dvds. She said no, but she emailed them anyway to ask. Who else uses their computer?

Thankfully, my husband is a computer wiz and will try to get to the bottom of it when he gets home. Maybe using our external disc drive might work. Who knows....
Old 04-07-16, 01:37 PM  
starbelly

I do not have a DVD player so my computer is used for any and all disc-based media. If the VLC player cannot read it, perhaps a different player might. My EU computer (different zone) can read the Barre Amped DVDs. I rip all my DVDs so that I can use my tablet to watch them. Do you have any software to do that? It might be inconvenient, but it could also be a solution.
Old 04-07-16, 02:19 PM  
TinaT

Mary has already made contact with SB group and they're figuring it out for me. How great is that!? I think we've isolated it to the disc. My computer will play BarreAmped Bootcamp fine. But the cardio disc says there's no info to read. Yet it plays in a dvd player. Weird....
Old 04-07-16, 02:45 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

I rarely use my laptop to watch DVDs.

however, I've had inconsistencies with the 2 DVDs players in our house: one is a Sony and the other Panasonic. about 99% of my fitness DVDs work in both players, but the Panasonic sometimes won't play certain ones.

i'll leave those DVDs near the Sony player. and it's not brand-specific! for example, I have lots of Core Secrets DVDs, and just 1 of them won't play in the Panasonic.

another experience was with a Denise Austin DVD - all of her other DVDs play fine in both, but 1 of them won't.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
Old 04-08-16, 07:27 PM  
GinaXOXO

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbelly View Post
I do not have a DVD player so my computer is used for any and all disc-based media. If the VLC player cannot read it, perhaps a different player might. My EU computer (different zone) can read the Barre Amped DVDs. I rip all my DVDs so that I can use my tablet to watch them. Do you have any software to do that? It might be inconvenient, but it could also be a solution.
Do you have software that you recommend?

I have a mac and this has happened to me. I don't have any clue what causes it. If you husband figures it out will you please let me know?
Old 04-09-16, 01:33 AM  
starbelly

I use WinX DVD ripper. I know that there are some free programs out there, but this one works well, updates are free (just keep your activation code) and it even works on DVDs that are locked/protected. There are a lot of options for quality and format so you can adapt your rip for each device. I paid about 35 euros for it a few years ago and have more than had my money's worth.

Tags
dvd software for laptop, ripping dvds