Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 11-01-23, 11:34 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

I have fallen down the Karin Slaughter “Will Trent” rabbit hole, lol. I’m on book seven “Unseen” now.

Book six “Criminal” had long chapters that were set in the 1970’s when two of the female characters were cops and how it was back then for them. Not good! But these chapters filled in her Will Trent characters past. The bonus novella “Snatched” that was included at the end was a quick, fast paced read that had me looking for her other short stories. It’s about a child being abducted at an airport and how he and the other characters try to find her.

Book five “Fallen” was a really good book. It involves Will Trent’s partner and her mother. It was fast paced and had a pretty surprising ending. It also filled in more of Will Trent’s past. But there is some really “dated” stuff in these earlier books like them using their Blackberry’s to read emails, lol.

I bought all eleven kindle books in the series. I figured I’m going to make my way through them all!

I really like the TV series too but they used the books for inspiration only. The storylines are kind of similar to the books but some of the characters and endings are different.
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Old 11-01-23, 07:35 PM  
carly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy G View Post
I have fallen down the Karin Slaughter “Will Trent” rabbit hole, lol. I’m on book seven “Unseen” now.
I'm right behind you. I just finished the 2nd book in the series. I actually lived in the 80's in both the neighborhoods that the two books focused on. Her visual descriptions of Atlanta are very good and accurate for times.
Old 11-01-23, 08:25 PM  
Gams

I finally finished reading Windigo Island by William Kent Krueger. I obviously wasn’t feeling the love as it took me about 2 weeks to finish the last three pages. LOL

I’m onto another Jack Reacher now. Going much faster because I LOVE Jack Reacher. Like the t.v. series, too!
Old 11-02-23, 09:46 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carly View Post
I'm right behind you. I just finished the 2nd book in the series. I actually lived in the 80's in both the neighborhoods that the two books focused on. Her visual descriptions of Atlanta are very good and accurate for times.
That’s great Carly! I’ve never been to Atlanta (other than a plane layover at the airport). But that’s one of the places I’d like to visit one day.

I’m halfway through book seven and it’s faster paced than six (which was good but took me longer to get through). I think episode 11 or 12 of the TV series is very loosely based on seven.
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Old 11-14-23, 10:00 AM  
TracyQ

Since my last post…I finished the Led Zepplin biography by Bob Spitz (enjoyed it but OMG the debauchery), The Lost Summers of Newport (I thought it was pretty good nothing great) and I have just started what I believe will be my favorite book of 2023—pushing All the Light We Cannot See out of that position—Demon Copperhead, by Barbara Kingslover. It’s a difficult subject matter, drug and alcohol addiction, child abuse. It’s gripping, when I’m not reading it, I can’t stop thinking about it.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
Old 11-14-23, 10:20 AM  
Erica H.

[QUOTE=TracyQ;3013176Demon Copperhead, by Barbara Kingslover. It’s a difficult subject matter, drug and alcohol addiction, child abuse. It’s gripping, when I’m not reading it, I can’t stop thinking about it.[/QUOTE]

I am really looking forward to reading this. I have it from the library but have a few more books to read first since they will have to be returned sooner.

I'm reading Tina Turner's Love Story now thanks to your recommendation! Next will be Henry Winkler's new memoir.

Erica
Old 11-14-23, 10:37 AM  
TracyQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
I am really looking forward to reading this. I have it from the library but have a few more books to read first since they will have to be returned sooner.

I'm reading Tina Turner's Love Story now thanks to your recommendation! Next will be Henry Winkler's new memoir.

Erica
Erica—I thought of you when I was posting about Demon Copperhead. I was wondering if you had read it yet. You and I seem to gravitate toward these types of books.

I hope you enjoy Tina Turner’s book.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
Old 11-14-23, 11:09 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyQ View Post
Erica—I thought of you when I was posting about Demon Copperhead. I was wondering if you had read it yet. You and I seem to gravitate toward these types of books.

I hope you enjoy Tina Turner’s book.
I'm enjoying it much more than I expected to. We definitely seem to like the same types of books. I loved All the Light We Cannot See.

Erica
Old 11-14-23, 06:46 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Recent books I've read (or tried to read) include:

A Traitor in Whitehall by Julia Kelly - This book has been better than I thought it would be. I'm enjoying the mystery.

Murder in Chianti by Camilla Trinchieri- I really enjoyed this book on two levels. The mystery kept me engaged and I did not guess whodunnit. Plus, I enjoyed the aspect of what what it would be like to live in Italy as an expat.

Must Love Flowers by Debbie Macomber - I enjoyed this story a lot, more than some of her more recent books.

The Paris Secret by Karen Swan - This book was an "almost" for me. The story was good and I liked the characters at first. Then, they kind of became more stereotypical and the pacing of the story was exhausting.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Old 11-14-23, 06:56 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyQ View Post
Since my last post…I finished the Led Zepplin biography by Bob Spitz (enjoyed it but OMG the debauchery), The Lost Summers of Newport (I thought it was pretty good nothing great) and I have just started what I believe will be my favorite book of 2023—pushing All the Light We Cannot See out of that position—Demon Copperhead, by Barbara Kingslover. It’s a difficult subject matter, drug and alcohol addiction, child abuse. It’s gripping, when I’m not reading it, I can’t stop thinking about it.
I was listening to the Audible version of Demon Copperhead but stopped when the weather got hot and I wasn’t walking on a path near my house. I need to finish it up! The narrator is excellent.

I agree, a really great book! Kind of reminded me of “Bastard out of Carolina” by Dorothy Allison.
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k

Tags
audiobooks, books, fall reading, kindle, off topic, off-topic, reading