Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 01-05-06, 02:09 PM  
KarenH

Received Future Gym book and DVD

I just received the Future Gym book and DVD from New Zealand. The book is in English and the DVD is NTSC for our DVD players. This program is taken from the Swiss Cantienica program and then expanded on. The Swiss program spends alot of time on facial exercises which are not part of this program. The Body Project DVDs from Australia are only PAL and are taken from the Future Gym (FG) program and not all of the FG exercises are in the Body Project DVDs. I've been doing the Super Callanetics(SC) tape and found this to be quite different. The DVD is instructional as there are over 80 exercises to choose from. She demonstrates all of them and the total running time is about 100 minutes just to demonstrate them. For instance SC has one arm exercise while FG has a one full arm, 3 triceps, 2 biceps, and one Pecs exercise so there is alot more upper body work. For the Abdomen work, she shows so many variations of the work as well as different ways to use the arms that it would well number over 20 options. With SC you would focus on curling your butt though with FG you also do an internal curl. I would equate this with - when you go to the bathroom and try to stop the flow by pressing the muscles really hard- you are using your internal muscles. This greatly adds to the exercises. You also slightly rotate your leg instead of just doing pulses like you do in SC. After doing just the instructional today, my butt is sore. I could do about 70 pulses in SC but with the added intensity of FG, I could only do about 30. I do miss having a video to watch and mirror what is being done. But after looking at FG, with all the options to do, there is no way you could do just one or even 2 videos and be able to incorporate all the moves. So you really have to design a program that encompasses all the areas you are interested in working and then you have the option of changing the moves later on to other options. Like in SC you have one thigh stretch, but FG gives you 4 options!! So you pick and choose what you want to accomplish for the session. The book is a very detailed manual but I did need to use the DVD to really see what she was demonstrating. The price is outrageous, but I did need to get both. After just one day of instructionals, I am sore whereas with SC I think I had maxed out on it. Sorry this is so long, but I thought you might be interested in knowing what the differences are between the programs out there.
Old 01-05-06, 05:12 PM  
spacecandy

No, no it wasn't too long. I loved it and thanks so much on sharing. Can you give me the actually site you bought your stuff from Or I'll look above posts and find it. Thanks!

edit to say I found the web site but tried to email them but it came back undeliverable.
Old 01-06-06, 08:51 AM  
marie

I ordered the ebook. After reading KarenH's post I wish I had gotten the book/DVD set. The book is really detailed and she does a good job of describing the moves. I think I will be able to get the moves with some more practice. The main problem I am having right now is that I don't usually engage or pulse my pelvic floor so I just can't do that many reps before I am fatigued. And I have to learn to coordinate my muscles in a new way. I worked on the lower body exercises last night and I turned into jello-I could barely walk down the stairs when I was done

Eventually I will have to look into buying the DVD.

KarenH, will the DVD play ok in a regular (US made) DVD player and TV?

marie
Old 01-06-06, 11:19 AM  
KarenH

Yes, the DVD will play on our equipment. I just sent you a PM about it.
Old 01-06-06, 02:32 PM  
acey

Hi! I just came across this thread and I'm totally intrigued. So, if someone could clarify--there is a South African Callenetics set of 3 DVDS available from the bodyproject website, but the DVDs aren't compatible with U.S. players?

Then there is the FutureGym site where you have to buy the book as well as the DVD, and it costs about $195 Au (30% less in U.S. dollars)...? but plays fine in U.S. players.

These are totally different Callenetics systems?

I guess I would be more tempted to buy the bodyproject set of DVDs, but only if they would play at least on my computer.
Old 01-06-06, 02:46 PM  
Karyn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by acey
Hi! I just came across this thread and I'm totally intrigued. So, if someone could clarify--there is a South African Callenetics set of 3 DVDS available from the bodyproject website, but the DVDs aren't compatible with U.S. players?

Then there is the FutureGym site where you have to buy the book as well as the DVD, and it costs about $195 Au (30% less in U.S. dollars)...? but plays fine in U.S. players.

These are totally different Callenetics systems?

I guess I would be more tempted to buy the bodyproject set of DVDs, but only if they would play at least on my computer.
I've been following with interest and I'm a bit confused too. Trying to workout with my computer isn't an option so the DVD would have to work in my DVD player. Thanks for any clarification.
Karyn
Old 01-06-06, 05:56 PM  
akaAnnie

I have the 3 South African Callanetics DVD's from Bodyproject. They play on my DVD player and with my TV set. Just put them in and push play. I tried them on two of my neighbors DVD players/Tv sets and they played fine in each instance. I live in the boonies and no one has any specialized equipment.

The only problem I encountered was with my Playstaion 2. It wouldn't play on that. I believe that may be becasue it is specificall programmed for only Region 1 and won't accept region free-possibly to prevent playing Japanese import games.

These look great. I hve just started with the instructional section and working on understanding the pelvic stuff. What surprised me was how much I felt the arm segment. I haven't been working my arms specifically, but I am keeping two woodstoves going so I lug a lot of wood, day in day out.

I don't think there is a problem(generally) with playing these DVD's in our DVD players with our TV's.
Ann
Old 01-07-06, 01:38 AM  
Jacqi A
VF Supporter

I have the first of the South African DVD series, ordered from Australia. It skips on my DVD (despite Israel, SA & Australia having the same PAL system) but plays OK on my computer (strangely, did skip about 3 times).

It is TOUGH & has an interesting variety of exercises & good, detailed instruction, but the set & music are plain. If you like this style of exercise, it is not boring at all - none of the exercises are very long. The "spiral" parts involve twisting the legs or arms while they are extended & these are nice additions. The pelvic floor tightening is "mula bhanda" from yoga so I didn't have any problems with that. For comparison, I have LB & BM but not the original callanetics. I like them but only the bonus segments from LB are hard enough for me. So I'm happy with this workout since it is hard enough and it isn't annoying. One complaint I have about it (& this goes for LB & BM, too) is that despite including some good, intense, long stretches, the stretching is incomplete & uneven - some areas get a lot more attention than others.

If I use this one often in the next few weeks I'll get the other two, for variety.
Old 01-07-06, 06:15 AM  
spacecandy

Question

If I order from Futuregym do I get the NTSC for USA? I asked them but they didn't understand my question.

I had asked if a person could order the dvd and counter after ordering ebook and he said yes. The dvd is $89(NZ$) = $62 (US) [which is high in my opinion] the Counter is $10(NZ$) and I didn't figure this one out.
Old 01-07-06, 12:05 PM  
acey

I emailed about the South African DVDs and plan to order them. I'm tempted by the FutureGym because of Karen's description--but geez louise, more than $100 for ONE DVD and book? Oy! Getting three DVDs for about $60 U.S. sounded far more appealing...

do those buying the FutureGym feel it's worth that hefty investment?

Tags
callanetics, wcl, world class legs