Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 04-19-24, 06:39 PM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol K View Post
Hope you didn't rupture your Achilles' tendon before the end of the season.
No, however I do remember the alcohol!!!!

Cleda
Old 04-20-24, 10:43 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I finished 2 books the other day (I had been reading both on and off): White Fragility and 108 Buddhist Parables and Stories.

I'm more that halfway through Holly. Honestly, the thing that bugs me the most about this book is her constant smoking - but otherwise I'm enjoying it.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
Old 04-24-24, 12:34 PM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Onward through the series

Red Knife (Cork O"connor Series Book #8) William Kent Krueger

I am currently reading the next book in the series (Heaven's Keep) and the next 3 came in to the library! So I'm set for awhile.

I also read that he's coming out with another book in the series this year (2024).

Cleda
Old 04-24-24, 01:08 PM  
Schnauzeritis

I haven't posted in awhile so I'll give an update on some of the books I've read.

Currently reading Mrs. England by Stacey Halls. Very atmospheric. I enjoy her writing.

The Giver by Lois Lowry - never read this one. Loved it. Amazing to me that this is a banned book in some areas.

The River We Remember by William Kent Krueger - Lots of characters in this one and I enjoyed all of them. I loved the last chapter in this book, it wrapped everything up.

The Secret Book of Flora Lea by Patti Callahan Henry - I liked this and enjoyed reading it but I relt it was kind of unbelievable what happened.

In Five Years by Rebecca Serle - loved it. I will ready anthing written by her.

Unlikely Animals by Annie Hartnett - quirky and fun.

Greenwich Park by Katherine Faulkner - I had this on my TBR for such a long time. Then one day after finishing a book I was desperate and downloaded it. I'm glad I did. I thought it was a great mystery.

The Trap by Catherine Ryan Howard - I enjoyed it and I thought the ending was great. Not for everyone, though.

A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman - good heartwarming book. Realized I had been pronouncing "Ove" wrong for the longest time. I still had trouble pronouncing it correctly even after listening to some of the audiobook. LOL
Old 04-25-24, 11:08 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnauzeritis View Post
The Giver by Lois Lowry - never read this one. Loved it. Amazing to me that this is a banned book in some areas.
I listened to that on audio a few years ago and really liked it. She wrote additional books because many people were unsatisfied with the ending, but I thought it was fine as it was and have no desire to read more.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Old 04-25-24, 11:34 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

I just finished The Bee Sting and I'd really like to talk with someone about the ending, so if you've read it, let me know.

I'm also one of those in 1000-th something place in holds for The Women.

Oh and maybe I'll ETA: I think Beth and I have talked about our differing opinions on 11-22-63. That is my favorite King novel.
Old 04-25-24, 01:20 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnauzeritis View Post
I missed this one when I was younger too. About 7-8 years ago, I was on a family visit and my niece had a copy - I read it in a few hours, and I really liked it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
Oh and maybe I'll ETA: I think Beth and I have talked about our differing opinions on 11-22-63. That is my favorite King novel.
Yes! I did like this book, just felt that it was kind of bloated with unnecessary detail at times.

Speaking of King, I finished Holly a few days ago. I had a few quibbles but liked it a lot; I thought it was well-paced and had good momentum.

I started a non-fiction book, about Maeve Binchy, Maeve's Times: In Her Own Words. It's a collection of essays that she wrote over her many years as a journalist and novelist, and I'm liking it so far.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
Old 04-29-24, 02:13 PM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardnas View Post
I am reading the third book, Before Your Memory Fades, from the Before the Coffee Gets Cold (5 book) series by Toshikazu Kawaguchi. I have been reading a lot of Japanese authors lately and appreciate their style of simplistic writing with few words but many lessons. Each book has 4 or so short stories -all take place in the same cafe where one can time travel until their coffee becomes cold, but they cannot change the past or future. Interesting concept, fast reads, heartwarming & heartbreaking, I am enjoying this series.

ETA: just noticed there is a 5th book coming in Nov!
I didn't realize this was a series as well. Somewhere along the line "Before the Coffee Gets Cold" was listed as if you like this, we recommend that! So I put it on my To be read list. I knew I heard of it somewhere.

Cleda
Old 04-29-24, 02:23 PM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

On a total reading spree

Holy mackeral! I can't believe I'm on such a reading spree. Warm, sunny mornings help. (Enjoying my coffee as I read and read and read!)

I think I skipped checking in since it's always the same. Cork O'Connor Series, Cork O'Connor Series, Cork O'Connor series. How many are there anyway? (19 to date! a new one coming out this year or so I've read). But onward:

Heaven's Keep (Book #9) ~ William Kent Krueger **
Vermillion Drift (Book #10) ~ William Kent Krueger
Northwest Angle (Book #11) ~ William Kent Krueger
Remarkably Bright Creatures ~ Shelby Van Pelt (don't fall over - not a Cork O'Connor series book! )

** This is the first of the series that dragged for me. At least the first 1/2 to 3/4 of the book. I was a little disappointed. But then Book #10 picked up again and the next 2 went FAST.

I was all set to dislike Remarkably Bright Creatures since it's gotten rave reviews, everyone loves it, etc, etc. It's like the movie everyone likes? It gets too hyped up and I'm like, "MEH". Well, I must say I thoroughly enjoyed this book and read it in less than 24 hours and have recommended it to my IRL friends for reading. I also am such a sap. I was crying at the end. (Doesn't take much!) So this was a great change of pace.

I've been scouring everyone's lists and authors and what they've read and have put several "to be read"s on my list at Goodreads!!!

I have 4 books in transit to me so these will go back and 4 more will be in. I did order a Hannah Kristen one, so we'll see. Oh and I just checked. They are all in - so I can finish the book I'm reading and go pick these up. YAY .....

Onward.
Cleda
Old 04-30-24, 06:15 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post

Speaking of King, I finished Holly a few days ago. I had a few quibbles but liked it a lot; I thought it was well-paced and had good momentum.
Have not heard of this one -- I'll check it out!

Hey, does anyone have a recommendation for a mystery that somehow involves cooking (that's not a cozy mystery)? A friend is looking for a specialized gift for someone retiring.

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, off topic, off-topic, reading, spring reading