Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 10-30-15, 06:50 AM  
sherry7899

Jen-several members of Shinedown are playing a small club about 45 minutes from us. I thought of you when I saw the ad

We are seeing Loreena McKennitt tonight-can't wait!

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
Old 10-30-15, 12:26 PM  
JENILU

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Jen-several members of Shinedown are playing a small club about 45 minutes from us. I thought of you when I saw the ad

We are seeing Loreena McKennitt tonight-can't wait!

Sherry
I'm so excited for you!! Tell me how it is. I bet she sounds amazing live!!

I'm really excited about SHinedown and Breaking Benjamin. Its about 2 weeks away. And we'll be going all the way to Nashville for it. They are coming to our state, but its mid week and still far, so we decided on the weekend one. I'd love to stay and see a bit of Nashville, but he has to get back for the AL game, lol.

If You Argue for Your Limitations, You Get to Keep Them!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
Old 10-31-15, 08:27 AM  
sherry7899

Jenilu-I hope you have a fantastic time at your concert and on the trip!

Loreena was lovely! She played two sets of an hour each, with a twenty five minute break in the middle. This is my third time seeing her live (the first time was in 1994-I first heard her music RIGHT after she did a date near me for "The Visit" in 1992 and missed that show) Instead of a full band, this was a trio tour with the addition of a violinist on a few songs. Due to the smaller band, the music choice was very different-it was pretty much ONLY her Celtic inspired music, which I love, but I really missed the more Middle Eastern songs that she did with the fuller band.

She has a very dry sense of humor and is a great storyteller. After the first two songs, she paused and said that she knew everyone wanted to take pictures-I am sure she noticed the huge amount of people holding up phones/tablets-and said she would play a short song so everyone could do their photos (and hinted that photos should STOP after it). She played "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" on her harp and had the whole audience cracking up. I was glad not to see anyone taking photos during the rest of the show.
I can't see her pulling a Peter Frampton and taking someone's cell phone and throwing it after they kept taking pictures right in his face even though he repeatedly politely asked them to stop...anyway.....(google for that story)

Her musicianship is incredible on harp and piano, and her voice is so pure.

This was an East Coast tour. She is supposed to tour other parts of the USA next year.

Sherry

Old 11-01-15, 09:09 PM  
wendug

Reading about the awesome concerts people have been attending is making me feel...old! I went to concerts all of the time when I was younger, but now I hardly ever go! I have to REALLY like an artist to make an effort. It doesn't help that the concert venues are at minimum a 45 minute drive away and then paying for parking and buying tickets- well it gets expensive. But reading the posts about going to concerts has inspired me to make more if an effort. There really is nothing like listening to live music!
Old 11-01-15, 09:25 PM  
sherry7899

Wendy-I totally understand! We hardly ever go to movies or to restaurants (luckily I love to cook/bake) Concerts are our thing

Old 11-01-15, 09:37 PM  
JENILU

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
Reading about the awesome concerts people have been attending is making me feel...old! I went to concerts all of the time when I was younger, but now I hardly ever go! I have to REALLY like an artist to make an effort. It doesn't help that the concert venues are at minimum a 45 minute drive away and then paying for parking and buying tickets- well it gets expensive. But reading the posts about going to concerts has inspired me to make more if an effort. There really is nothing like listening to live music!
I usually don't like hearing people live, lol. But the acoustic versions of the ones I am going to see make me really excited to hear them live, and this is kind of a bucket list thing for me, while I can still kinda handle the crowd and noise (I hope). I think its worth it to try atleast once- and if you loved it in the past, to try it once more. Make a big deal around it since it is far.

If You Argue for Your Limitations, You Get to Keep Them!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
Old 11-01-15, 09:41 PM  
sherry7899

We make them a special experience. We took our son to see Paul McCartney on Father's Day. It was amazing! We were in practically the last row. It did not matter.He played for three hours without a break!

Old 11-11-15, 08:40 AM  
sherry7899

I wish we had HBO! They showed the U2 documentary "Innocence and Experience" on November 7th and there will be a concert special debuting on November 14th. Has anyone watched part one? I could swear I saw this listed to be on Netflix, but now I can't find it. Hopefully they will release everything on dvd.

ETA: my sister just got HBO, so I am going to try to watch it at her house

Sherry

Old 11-13-15, 06:34 AM  
sherry7899

I am talking to myself here again

I forget if there are any fans of the band The Alarm here. A Philadelphia PBS station WHYY featured Mike Peters on their "On Tour" series. They show concert footage and interview footage for thirty minutes. They do eventually put the whole show on their website. I can post it once I see it there. The show was really good.

Sadly, I found this article after watching the special. I cannot believe he is battling cancer for the third time. He went ahead with his recent US tour before starting treatment. I wish I could have made it to one of the shows, but they were on weeknights:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-o...heart-10179567

Sherry

Old 11-13-15, 06:37 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by JENILU View Post
I usually don't like hearing people live, lol. But the acoustic versions of the ones I am going to see make me really excited to hear them live, and this is kind of a bucket list thing for me, while I can still kinda handle the crowd and noise (I hope). I think its worth it to try atleast once- and if you loved it in the past, to try it once more. Make a big deal around it since it is far.
I absolutely love seeing bands live. The energy and atmosphere are amazing to me! We have also been very fortunate to meet some band members before or after shows.

Tags
music, music geek