Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 09-17-22, 01:54 PM  
Trixoo
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
My latest audiobook obsession is All the Young Dudes, fanfic set in the time of Remus and Sirius at Hogwarts. It's HUGE, but somebody's made audio recordings of the first three books. So very good! I hear it's got more than 500K pages, and if the end is anything like as good as this beginning, I'll be enthralled to the end.
Is the audiobook good quality? If so, which version are you listening to? Thanks!
Old 09-17-22, 08:52 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixoo View Post
Is the audiobook good quality? If so, which version are you listening to? Thanks!
Listening to Fleur's uploads on Youtube because it was the first I found.
She's good, but has a tendency to mispronounce words. For example, she repeatedly pronounces Andromeda as though it were written Andromedea. About halfway through she takes a moment to address that issue, asking if people have a preferred pronunciation, but the basic issue is there.

It doesn't spoil my enjoyment of the story, and in some technical ways I think hers is quite good. (Occasionally she adds sound effects or a snippet of music)

Now I'm curious to know what others there are. What a huge story to take on!
Old 09-18-22, 09:12 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I just finished She's Up to No Good by Sara Goodman Confino. It was a cute, easy to read contemporary fiction/love story/family cultural dynamics dilemma that flashes back and forward between the grandmother's tale and her granddaughter's.
Old 09-18-22, 01:16 PM  
Trixoo
VF Supporter

Quote:
Listening to Fleur's uploads on Youtube because it was the first I found.
She's good, but has a tendency to mispronounce words. For example, she repeatedly pronounces Andromeda as though it were written Andromedea. About halfway through she takes a moment to address that issue, asking if people have a preferred pronunciation, but the basic issue is there.

It doesn't spoil my enjoyment of the story, and in some technical ways I think hers is quite good. (Occasionally she adds sound effects or a snippet of music)

Now I'm curious to know what others there are. What a huge story to take on!
Thank you! I found a version on Audible, but it seemed pretty rough, so I’ll check out Fleur’s version!
Old 09-18-22, 01:48 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixoo View Post
Thank you! I found a version on Audible, but it seemed pretty rough, so I’ll check out Fleur’s version!
I guess I lucked out finding a good one on my first try.

I can't seem to figure out a way to display YT on my phone so the playlist is easy to access.

Oh, at some point she accidentally says that the beginning of a section is the start of Chapter 55, but she's wrong, but the YT site has it labelled correctly. It's just a confusing moment. Whatever chapter it's supposed to be is right in order, and a bit later you actually do get to chapter 55.

(Thought I'd spare you a moment of bafflement, LOL!)
Old 09-18-22, 05:04 PM  
Trixoo
VF Supporter

Quote:
I guess I lucked out finding a good one on my first try.

I can't seem to figure out a way to display YT on my phone so the playlist is easy to access.

Oh, at some point she accidentally says that the beginning of a section is the start of Chapter 55, but she's wrong, but the YT site has it labelled correctly. It's just a confusing moment. Whatever chapter it's supposed to be is right in order, and a bit later you actually do get to chapter 55.

(Thought I'd spare you a moment of bafflement, LOL!)
Thanks!
Old 09-21-22, 02:40 PM  
SpiritYogi

I just finished Bastard out of Carolina by Dorothy Allison, which was adapted into a movie in 1996. It was very difficult to read (due to the subject matter), but one I will never forget.
Old 09-21-22, 03:06 PM  
Carol K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dena View Post
I just finished Bastard out of Carolina by Dorothy Allison, which was adapted into a movie in 1996. It was very difficult to read (due to the subject matter), but one I will never forget.
Yes, that was a hard one.

I raced through The House of Fortune (sequel to The Miniaturist) and now I would like a sequel to the sequel.
Old 09-23-22, 09:40 AM  
SpiritYogi

In the past two days, I've read Edge of Dusk by Colleen Coble and Into the Mist by P.C. Cast.

The former was a decent story but the writing style felt like it was the author's first time writing, which it wasn't. It just didn't flow very well in some parts.

As for the latter, I noticed it on the library's new release shelf and it piqued my interest so I decided to check it out, and I'm glad I did. Not only did I enjoy it but I'm looking forward to the sequel, which will be out next year.

In between fiction novels, I've been reading Ayurveda for Yoga Teachers and Students by Siva Raakhi Mohan, which a dear friend I met here on VF sent to me. It has been very informative and enlightening and has shown me ways to bring Ayurveda into my yogic way of life. Now if only I can get my doshas in balance...
Old 09-23-22, 11:04 AM  
Erica H.

I finished This Tender Land and thought it was pretty good. Just started Lessons In Chemistry. Not the type of book I normally read but I am enjoying it so far.

Erica

Tags
audiobooks, books, fall reading, kindle, off topic, off-topic, reading