Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 06-27-23, 05:36 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Just completed

"it Ends With Us" by Colleen Hoover
"it Starts With us" by Colleen Hoover

Was so happy my library had both of them. (Picked them up on Thurs.!)
I enjoyed them both very much. Very quick reads for me.

I scanned some of this thread for a few suggestions and have a couple of holds on books for when I drop the above 2 off at the library!

Now to go check out and see what piques my interest from the 500+ books in my kindle library! Has to be something there.

(that and the RIP thread got me interested in Everwood - so I watched 11 episodes of that this weekend. Can you tell it was a rainy day on Sat.?)

Cleda
Old 06-27-23, 09:27 AM  
firmiewannabe

I finished Breathe Your Last by Lisa Regan. It's book 10 of her Josie Quinn mystery series. This is a series that I've really enjoyed reading since I discovered it. Interesting cast of characters revolving around police investigations. The characters continue to evolve and grow during the series. This book surprised me at the end with the killer reveal! I stayed up late to finish it - that's a big sign that I really enjoyed the book!
Old 06-30-23, 04:49 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Just finished the audio version of "The Paris Aparment". Really enjoyed it. About to start "Bad Summer People".
Old 06-30-23, 10:33 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I am traveling and just finished a light read, When In Rome. I enjoyed it. Started a new book, Same Time Next Year. I’m liking that one a lot.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
Old 07-01-23, 06:38 PM  
difit

July New Release

Here are a few new release's for July. Happy reading!!

4th
Circle of Death (Shadow, book 2) - James Patterson and Brian Sitts
Flop Dead Gorgeous (Andy Carpenter, book 27) - David Rosenfelt
The Long Ago - Michael McGarrity
Last Rites - Sharon Sala
Hello, Stranger - Katherine Center
The Lucky Shamrock - Carolyn Brown
Doomsday Match (Dresden Codex, book 1) – Jeff Wheeler

11th
An Evil Heart (Kate Burkholder, book 15) - Linda Castillo
Must Love Flowers - Debbie Macomber
Flags on the Bayou - James Lee Burke
The Paris Agent - Kelly Rimmer
Macarons Can Be Murder (Paris Kentucky Bakery Mystery, book 1) - Rose Betancourt
The Bones of the Story - Carol Goodman
The Summer Skies - Jenny Colgan

18th
After Death - Dean Koontz
A Questionable Character (Booktown Mystery, book 17) – Lorna Barrett
Silver Nitrate- Silvia Moreno Garcia

25th
A Game of Lies (DC Morgan, book 2) – Clare Mackintosh (audio)
The New Wife – JP Delaney (audio)
Pink Lemonade Cake Murder (Hannah Swensen Mystery, book 29) - Joanne Fluke
Everyone Here is Lying - Shari Lapeña
Light Bringer (Red Rising, book 6) – Pierce Brown
You Can Die (Laurel Snow, book 3) - Rebecca Zanetti
One of us is Back (Bayview High, book 3) – Karen McManus (YA)
Murder in the Book Lover's Loft (Book Retreat Mystery, book 9) - Ellery Adams
The Little Village of Book Lovers – Nina George
Old 07-02-23, 07:26 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Thanks as always difit!

The 18th has some ones I'm interested in - the Booktown mysteries are one of the few series that I am reading, and I'd be interested in the Dean Koontz if that isn't a series.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 07-02-23, 10:00 PM  
Carol K

I've started The Theory of (Not Quite) Everything by Kara Gnoode.
Old 07-03-23, 09:39 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Sorry, I missed some replies before because a long weekend trip to visit family ended up being 10 days.

While I was away, I finished When In Rome. It was an okay light rom-com read, but the protagonist was one of those that make decisions that are SO stupid! It was worse that a Hallmark movie Then I got This Time Next Year, which I'm almost done. This one is also a rom-com, but much better written, with more poignant moments and much more enjoyable overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
I read a lot of classics in high school but didn't appreciate them until I was older. Maturity and experience, plus not being tested and assigned papers on the reading make the novels much more enjoyable later in life!
Erica, I agree that it's easier to appreciate some of the classics when we are older. There are still some types of stories I don't think I would like even now though (Red Badge of Courage comes to mind).

Quote:
Originally Posted by annette View Post
Beth - I did like it but had to read slowly as the author's sentences seemed to run on and on. Are all her books like that?
Hmm, Annette, I'm not sure I noticed that; another Austen lover might have more of a perspective than I do. But she does seem to have a specific style, and so I would guess that yes, those quirks run through her books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
This is me and my daughter! I don't like owning books (but DH is a book collector with almost 2000 books) and I own TWO books with sentimental value - one of them is Little Women. I always dreamed of passing it down to my daughter and she ended up hating the book! I was crushed! I loved that book when I was a young girl and it was given to me by my beloved aunt (my daughter is actually named after her), who wrote a special note for me in the cover.
Erica, I was named after Beth in Little Women! My mom encouraged me to read it when I was quite young. I liked it, but I never really understood at first that Beth dies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleda View Post
Beth: You made me gasp! I could never, ever, ever, ever read ahead (or read the last page first). Goes against every fiber of my being. BUT ... I probably could do more than one book at a time if only ONE was a good fiction book and the rest were other types. Never thought of that. I probably should have clarified: only one fiction book at a time.
Cleda, I laughed at making you laugh! I know, it's a terrible habit, and I try not to do it - I used to make fun of my mom for doing it. It definitely is easier to have multiple non-fiction books going; I'm not sure I have ever read multiple fiction at once. My mom does though - I was just at her house, and she had a whole basket of half-finished books.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 07-03-23, 11:05 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Erica, I agree that it's easier to appreciate some of the classics when we are older. There are still some types of stories I don't think I would like even now though (Red Badge of Courage comes to mind).

Erica, I was named after Beth in Little Women!
I didn't read Red Badge of Courage until I was an adult and wasn't crazy about it.

How cool that you were named after Beth in Little Women! Long story, but my original name was Beth (but not after a fictional character) and my mom changed my name when I was a baby but didn't tell part of my family and they continued calling me Beth for a very long time.

I'm reading These Is My Words: The Diary of Sarah Agnes Prine, 1881-1901, Arizona Territories. It took me a while to get into it. I like it now, but don't love it.

Erica
Old 07-03-23, 11:10 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Wow Erica, that's wild! My mom wanted to name me just Beth even though Beth in LW was Elizabeth. At the hospital she tried to get them to do just Beth, but it was a Catholic hospital, and my grandmother intervened, so my birth certificate said Elizabeth. But I never considered that my name and never used it - my mother managed to register for me for school as Beth, and my driver's license always said Beth. Then when I got married, I chose to use Beth plus my maiden name as my middle name (I also didn't have a middle name - everyone used to think I must be Beth Ann), so now that's my official legal name.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, off topic, off-topic, reading, summer reading