Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 09-14-22, 11:16 AM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
I realized I lied. I thought about pulling Very Valentine of my TBR shelf, but instead I decided on the Sequel to Crazy Rich Asians, China Rich Girlfriend.
The CRA trilogy is my comfort reading. I enjoy all three books.
Old 09-14-22, 02:34 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I finished A Place Beyond Courage by Elizabeth Chadwick, an excellent book about John Marshal in the 1100s during the war between Stephen and Matilda.

I am almost done with Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel. She creates a compelling and believable world (to me). I recently discovered her and enjoy her books.

I'm reading The Mother of All Christmases by Milly Johnson. It took me longer to get into this book than it usually does for me with her books, but I'm into it now and am enjoying it.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Old 09-14-22, 05:13 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercat View Post
The podcast Reading Glasses recently did an episode about preferred reading positions, including chairs and pillows
Neat!
I've been hunting for a recliner (or something) and can't settle on anything specific. Straight up recliners don't seem to be my thing. Ordered a swivel glider yesterday, just to have a comfy chair, but it won't be here for a while.
Old 09-14-22, 06:29 PM  
Sollamyn

I just finished Where the Crawdads Sing and I have Look Homeward, Angel by Thomas Wolfe ready to go.

Question: Has anyone here read Look Homeward, Angel? I bought it last month when I was on vacation in Asheville. My companion and I toured Thomas Wolfe's home and museum. We were so impressed, even though neither one of us knew that much about him. So, anyway, I bought the book at the museum and I am a bit intimidated by it. Anybody have an experience with this book they would care to share?

The Wolfe book will probably take me a month to read, if I get through it at all. So I don't have anything else in my TBR pile right now.

Donna
Old 09-15-22, 08:31 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dena View Post
OMGosh, I'm so glad I'm not the only one!

Yes, I did quickly peruse the first novel to refresh my memory. The sequel was just plain boring, IMO. I skipped ahead and read a couple more chapters, hoping it would pull me in but no such luck. It's like The Family Upstairs on ZzzQuil.
Oh jeez. I don't think I'll even bother with it then. I have so many other books in my TBR pile anyway.
Old 09-16-22, 08:45 AM  
SpiritYogi

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post
Oh jeez. I don't think I'll even bother with it then. I have so many other books in my TBR pile anyway.
I certainly don't want you to take it off your reading list altogether. Who knows, maybe you'll enjoy it. If you do decide to read it and find that you can't get into it after a few chapters, at least you'll have the support of two others here who have read it. LOL On the other hand, maybe you'll be able to stick with it longer and talk us into trying it again because it actually does get better.
Old 09-16-22, 08:53 AM  
Carol K

I finished Babysitter by Joyce Carol Oates. It's adapted from the case of a real-life serial killer in the Detroit suburbs during the mid-70s, about 10 years before my husband and I met there in that exact same area. Neither one of us had ever heard of that serial killer, but all the streets and neighborhoods were familiar. It was an intriguing and scary story with an ambiguous ending. I have now started House of Fortune by Jessie Burton, sequel to The Miniaturist.
Old 09-16-22, 09:16 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dena View Post
I certainly don't want you to take it off your reading list altogether. Who knows, maybe you'll enjoy it. If you do decide to read it and find that you can't get into it after a few chapters, at least you'll have the support of two others here who have read it. LOL On the other hand, maybe you'll be able to stick with it longer and talk us into trying it again because it actually does get better.
Yeah I will probably get around to it eventually. No rush though. LOL. If I do find it gets better as it goes along I will definitely report back
Old 09-16-22, 05:03 PM  
BunnyHop

My latest audiobook obsession is All the Young Dudes, fanfic set in the time of Remus and Sirius at Hogwarts. It's HUGE, but somebody's made audio recordings of the first three books. So very good! I hear it's got more than 500K pages, and if the end is anything like as good as this beginning, I'll be enthralled to the end.
Old 09-16-22, 07:13 PM  
annette
VF Supporter

Yesterday I finished Joy Fielding's newest The Housekeeper. I liked it as it was fast paced and to the point. Sometimes I need that; the last book I read was way too detail oriented for my current mood. Will start The German Wife by Kelly Rimmer tomorrow.

Tags
audiobooks, books, fall reading, kindle, off topic, off-topic, reading