Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 07-17-11, 06:54 PM  
RedPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaAnnie View Post
I'm sure younger people can progress quickly but I know Lisa Shaffer has said that not only does muscle have to strengthen but ligaments and tendons as well and it takes time and not over doing it(as in get an injury).
I remember getting that advice when I was an exercise newbie. IIRC, ligaments and tendons generally take longer to strengthen than muscle.

After reading this thread and mulling it over, I've decided to back off on RKS a bit, and follow Allan's advice upthread - I'll rotate through Disks 1-4, then start again at the beginning, adding the RKS workouts to a short bodyweight-only circuit, then see how I feel.

I'd love to get training from a certified KB instructor, but all the trainers at my gym are tools. I saw one this morning supervising a client doing fast upright rows with a KB.
Old 07-19-11, 03:08 PM  
cmiyachi

I was not thrilled with this system for myself. I know this is the way some kettlebell live workouts are done but 30 minutes of snatches?!? What a snooze fest (if I was wasn't sweating so hard).

I felt that these workouts could be on paper easily. For me, I like more variation on a DVD. That's why I like Amy Bento's workouts so much. If I want to repeat a segment I can but give me the variety please.

I also didn't like the way they wouldn't verbally cue you to start and stop a timed or counted session. You had to always look at the screen.

Nice packaging, nice production values.

Although other reviewers said the workouts were very varied I found they were not. I think I counted 8 or so total exercises (don't hold me to it). And the progressions where just doing them longer with less rest.

Again, this review is according to my workouts preferences. Other people, this system may be perfect.

I have a professional relationship with web sites that sell yoga downloads.
Old 07-19-11, 03:10 PM  
Darisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmiyachi View Post
I was not thrilled with this system for myself. I know this is the way some kettlebell live workouts are done but 30 minutes of snatches?!? What a snooze fest (if I was wasn't sweating so hard).

I felt that these workouts could be on paper easily. For me, I like more variation on a DVD. That's why I like Amy Bento's workouts so much. If I want to repeat a segment I can but give me the variety please.

I also didn't like the way they wouldn't verbally cue you to start and stop a timed or counted session. You had to always look at the screen.

Although other reviewers said the workouts were very varied I found they were not. I think I counted 8 or so total exercises (don't hold me to it). And the progressions where just doing them longer with less rest.

Again, this review is according to my workouts preferences. Other people, this system may be perfect.
Thank you for the review. I'm already convinced that I don't want or need this, but reviews like these help me confirm it.
Old 07-19-11, 03:23 PM  
akaAnnie

Quote:

I'm having a heck of a time making myself do them, I added the swing portion of #5 on to Skogg roots 2 and found myself just feeling annoyed whereas I enjoyed Skogg.
Old 07-19-11, 04:30 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Chris, I agree with your comments. This is definitely not a structured system. I mean there is no total kettlebell workout, upper body workout, lower body workout, and an endurance workout. It's 16 short drill style workouts that translates easily on paper. They could have easily put these workouts on 1, maybe two layered DVDs. There's just not a lot of workouts for the price.

For me, these will be perfect for a finisher. I've been adding either a short bodyweight circuit or kettlebell swings after my cardio workouts for quite awhile now, so these will be great when I want to do something more than swings.

Tracy's free roundabout swings workout is excellent! It might still be available to download.

What I find surprising is that no one has mentioned the supplements he is selling on his website. VFers usually get pretty upset when an instructor sells supplemens.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Old 07-19-11, 04:37 PM  
isebelleg44

I had started a similar thread and wish I waited a little longer, when more people had tried the set. I ended up ordering these last Saturday and am now regretting my purchase. This sounds like a very overpriced set. Oh well. Need to learn not to jump on any bandwagons.
Old 07-19-11, 07:07 PM  
Messe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie S. View Post
Chris, I agree with your comments. This is definitely not a structured system. I mean there is no total kettlebell workout, upper body workout, lower body workout, and an endurance workout. It's 16 short drill style workouts that translates easily on paper. They could have easily put these workouts on 1, maybe two layered DVDs. There's just not a lot of workouts for the price.

<snip>

What I find surprising is that no one has mentioned the supplements he is selling on his website. VFers usually get pretty upset when an instructor sells supplemens.
Debbie, I mentioned the supplements in another thread. I was beyond dismayed when I saw the fat burner.

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Old 07-19-11, 08:22 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Quote:
For me, I like more variation on a DVD. That's why I like Amy Bento's workouts so much. If I want to repeat a segment I can but give me the variety please.
Chris,

I like Amy's workouts, too! She keeps it interesting and has fun with it, also. If she'd only take the workouts outside (like Anthony and Lauren) though.

Pam

May Focus:
Miranda Esmonde-White Classical Stretch Season 9 (All Standing)
Sahra Esmonde-White Body Sculpting Series, Toning for Beginners, Ultimate Stretch workouts

Old 07-19-11, 08:47 PM  
icebergslim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie S. View Post
For me, these will be perfect for a finisher. I've been adding either a short bodyweight circuit or kettlebell swings after my cardio workouts for quite awhile now, so these will be great when I want to do something more than swings.
ITA. I am using these workouts as add ons, after kettlebell swings a 20-25 minute workout is perfect as a finisher. These could have gone on paper with no issue, but I like the fact that they are on discs, many need discs a visual aid to workout to. Especially those who are novices to kettlebell workouts. For me, I don't regret paying the price for these workouts, I use them and it is worth it.
Old 07-19-11, 09:43 PM  
Alan

I sort of agree with Debbie in that these aren't the greatest deal--that award would probably go to MB45 Essentials. That said, I don't necessarily mind having "paper" workouts put onto DVDs. I've done paper workouts and I do tend to drag towards the end, so a follow-along DVD might help me keep pace.

I *do* think the price on the competition KBs is very good, though. I'll probably be picking up a 16kg.

Tags
doug reinhardt, kettlebell, reinhardt, reinhardt kb system, rks, skogg system