True Biz by Sara Novic about a school for the deaf
and
Island of Missing Trees by Elif Shafak - a love story set in Cyprus and London
Old 06-23-23, 08:26 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post

I'm one of those people who reads two books at a time. I always read different types of books like 1 mystery and 1 historical fiction or 1 romance and 1 thriller, etc. I get bored with just one storyline at a time read books fast enough that I'm starting a new book.
Laura: I'm a dweller. So I focus on one book. I read, dwell, think about it, think of the characters till I can get back to read more of it. I do this with tv shows too. What might happen, what would be a good outcome, what if? etc, etc. . . . I suppose it's more hyper-focus. Which is funny. since I'm usually pretty scattered and willy nilly with just about everything else in my life. . .

Beth: You made me gasp! I could never, ever, ever, ever read ahead (or read the last page first). Goes against every fiber of my being. BUT ... I probably could do more than one book at a time if only ONE was a good fiction book and the rest were other types. Never thought of that. I probably should have clarified: only one fiction book at a time.

My library saga continues. Please feel free to skip if you so desire! (nothing really important here but the babbling of an old woman!) I stopped at the library in my work town. (So proud of my "open borrow" sticker) but it does not allow me to look up or place holds on books at that library. BUMMER. So while there I thought I'd ask about their app for borrowing. They have (drumroll please!) LIBBY. Which took 3 people to find out what it was and if I could borrow from their e books with an "open borrow" sticker. Bad news: I CANNOT ... only paper books if I stop and pick them up. BUMMER ...... They had the first of the series on e books. But I had no way of getting to it. (just out of my grasp .....) So I text my son and asked him to please get HIS library card reinstated for that county so I could borrow on his. (He has offered to do this in the past.) But alas! I left empty handed and the brain churning as to what I would do for Book #1. Buy on kindle from amazon? Wouldn't be the worst thing. Since the library addiction has begun, I have stopped buying most books ...... I'm sure I have credits. Just be patient and wait? Nah .... not my style .....

So I headed to MY library as I have 2 books on hold. (Going back to Beth's comment - I think I can do 2 books at once as one is a decluttering book - very small, supposed to be read in little chunks and I could probably do that.) ...... I went to get those 2 library books (brain still churning about what will I do for book #1 of the series?) and TO MY DELIGHT !!!! They had BOTH Of the books of the series in and on hold. They added the first one to my pile (and I'm not sure they notified me. If they did I glanced over it, thinking it was a different notification). . .

YAY!!!!!!!! I have them till 7/12 ... So plenty of time and I'm thrilled. (and halfway done with book #1).

ONWARD.
Cleda
Old 06-23-23, 10:00 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Cleda, our library started using Libby and I HATE Libby! It is infuriating to operate and doesn't work well. Fortunately, our library still has Overdrive, which I love and still use. I hope our library doesn't get rid of Overdrive. I can easily read ebooks and audiobooks from Overdrive. I love to listen to audiobooks with wireless earbuds while I cook or clean in the kitchen.

Right now I'm reading Zero Day by David Baldacci.
Old 06-23-23, 10:07 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Cleda, so glad that worked well after all that frustration!

Since support for Overdrive was discontinued I'm begrudgingly learning to use Libby. It's remarkably unintuitive.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Old 06-23-23, 06:49 PM  
difit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
I'm one of those people who reads two books at a time. I always read different types of books like 1 mystery and 1 historical fiction or 1 romance and 1 thriller, etc. I get bored with just one storyline at a time read books fast enough that I'm starting a new book.
Same here. I usually read one and listen to another, but they have to be different genre too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paine View Post
Cleda, our library started using Libby and I HATE Libby! It is infuriating to operate and doesn't work well. Fortunately, our library still has Overdrive, which I love and still use. I hope our library doesn't get rid of Overdrive. I can easily read ebooks and audiobooks from Overdrive. I love to listen to audiobooks with wireless earbuds while I cook or clean in the kitchen.

Right now I'm reading Zero Day by David Baldacci.
I agree about Libby. I had both Libby and Overdrive. I only use Libby for audiobooks and Overdrive for everything else. I loved Overdrive but unfortunately my library discontinued it in May. I don't know why. It was so much easier to use.
Old 06-23-23, 10:09 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Wow, I love libby -- use it all of the time, and never could get overdrive to work for me. Funny. I use libby with two different library systems, so I can have a lot of books on hold at once. I am making excellent use of the "deliver later" feature recently as they have seemingly all become available at the same time.
Old 06-24-23, 07:50 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Libby

The only reason I would want Libby vs. the Cloud Library my library uses is to be able to get the books on my kindle (and be able to read outside in the morning sun!) With Cloud Library, the books can only go on tablets which is not good in sunlight.

I think someone upthread mentioned that Overdrive is stopping with support?

But I also have the hard copies that I've been reading lately, so I manage!

Cleda
Old 06-26-23, 10:24 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleda View Post
I think someone upthread mentioned that Overdrive is stopping with support?
They removed the apps from the device stores a while ago and support officially stopped May 1st. Here's a FAQ from Overdrive that might be helpful:
https://resources.overdrive.com/libby-faqs/

They also offer a webinar, which I might sign up for at some point:
https://overdrive.zoom.us/webinar/re...#/registration

HTH!

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Old 06-26-23, 04:27 PM  
ardnas

Starting The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down: A Hmong Child, Her American Doctors, and the Collision of Two Cultures by Anne Fadiman.
Old 06-26-23, 04:47 PM  
Carol K

I finished The Little Friend by Donna Tartt. This may have been my favorite of her three novels. Lots of interesting characters and I had no idea what would happen. Big mystery whether she will come out with a fourth novel. I'm waiting on books on hold from the library and getting caught up with my magazines.

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, off topic, off-topic, reading, summer reading