Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 08-01-23, 07:59 AM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

So I don't get this...is VF coming down? Or just rumors?

Dang girls...can't we all just get along?

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
Old 08-01-23, 08:43 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateTT View Post
So I don't get this...is VF coming down? Or just rumors?

Dang girls...can't we all just get along?
As far as I know, it's not coming down. We are all just speculating on it's demise since it isn't being maintained and hasn't been for years. We are trying to find a new place to continue when/if it does collapse.
Old 08-01-23, 08:59 AM  
donnamp

FWIW, Karla - I appreciate the effort you put into the new forum and I understand it is a learning process - I would be willing to help out as a moderator or otherwise.

I think we need to give each other some grace here - the purpose of all of this is to stay together not fight!

I understand the concern for security, etc. I am not on FB or Instagram or anything b/c I want my privacy. But isn't this board itself lacking in security since it has not been updated? I think most, if not all of the people here are not using their full names and I think it would be difficult to figure out who anyone is in real life. And you can do the same on the new forum - use a screen name, don't post a lot of personal stuff, you can share only what you feel comfortable sharing, etc.

I personally hope VF continues on as it has - it is where I'm comfortable, but I do appreciate the efforts those have made to find alternatives "just in case" and I would be happy to help with those efforts. I have zero experience about running a forum, but I think we can all learn and remain civil.....

If Karla (or anyone who is trying something new out to help VF continue into the future) has "bitten off more than she can chew" perhaps we can help her in a constructive way?

Donna
Old 08-01-23, 09:34 AM  
Leonana

Thanks for your posts lgk. I agree with both.

I assumed it wasn’t very secure here. Every time I check my phone passwords, it tells me they aren’t secure on this site.

I think lgk made some good points about having an updated VBulletin website, as did Karla when she started this thread.

So speaking generally, how would we go about it? We would have a monthly fee, so would need some sort of contributions, perhaps similar to what Wendy provided.

However, if it’s too complicated to figure out, we could stay at ProBoards. Perhaps set up a poll?
Old 08-01-23, 02:04 PM  
Karla25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
Thanks for your posts lgk. I agree with both.

I assumed it wasn’t very secure here. Every time I check my phone passwords, it tells me they aren’t secure on this site.

I think lgk made some good points about having an updated VBullwrin website, as did Karla when she started this thread.

So speaking generally, how would we go about it? We would have a monthly fee, so would need some sort of contributions, perhaps similar to what Wendy provided.

However, if it’s too complicated to figure out, we could stay at ProBoards. Perhaps set up a poll?
First of all, I want to thank you all for the kindness and support shown on this thread and for the uplifting private messages that I have received.

I love this forum and the people in it. I’ve learned so much from the information on this site and have been gifted DVDS from members which have allowed me to experience many different types of exercise. The thoughtfulness and generosity of the members here is amazing.

Leanora, I also agree with lgk. It would be much easier to transfer the data to an updated VBulletin. We would be able to keep our forum in its current form. I think an updated VBulletin is our best option. I’m also not sure how to go about it though.
Old 08-02-23, 02:20 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

I’ve been at VF since before it was here on VBulletin, and have met Wendy. VF has been the only site where I have felt comfortable posting all those years. The reason that I have felt comfortable was because of the way Wendy set up and enforced rules that kept the site civil and focused on fitness. The moderators were of great help as well.

Wendy has computer expertise and running VF was a job (I don’t recall what else she did, but I recall she spent a lot of time setting up and maintaining VF). Wendy also made it a point to never allow personal attacks among members and would close threads immediately if that happened. She was strict about enforcing the rules that she established about keeping the topics about fitness and not allowing discussions about diets or politics, although she did allow for some off topic threads. All of this moderation required a lot of time and energy, as well as the technical know-how.

I think it is a great idea to migrate this site to another related site, but it clearly needs to be done by someone with expertise. The other issue is that Wendy owns this domain and has to agree to the migration. As far as I know, no one has been able to reach her.

The issue of security is a huge one. It worries me that this site isn’t secure, so besides wanting VF to stay alive, I want to move it as soon as possible so that everyone’s data becomes more secure.

In conclusion, to keep this site going will require expertise. Wendy needs to be involved, so someone needs to be able to reach her.

Maybe if we start a thread all about diets, Wendy will show up?
Old 08-02-23, 05:22 AM  
SFR
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitBoop View Post
Maybe if we start a thread all about diets, Wendy will show up?
I was thinking the same thing.

Post title: Which diet is better for weight loss, vegan or carnivore?

Post content (something like): Wendy, your subscribers want to make sure this forum survives so it needs to be on updated software. Also, we want people who want to join to be approved. How can we help with this?

Then someone needs to report the post.
Old 08-02-23, 06:30 AM  
donnamp

I agree re: having moderators on a forum - and I think a number of us (myself included) have agreed to serve in that role - it can be a big job to keep things running smoothly.

I agree also that having some sort of expertise either in running a forum or technical/software would be helpful, but I don't think lack of experience should discourage someone from trying - if you don't try -you don't learn and grow.

The security issue with this site- doesn't thrill me - but I don't know that there is a lot of info that is stored here that is sensitive and that if compromised would result in disaster - there is no personal data - no credit cards, addresses, etc. You can put a b'day in or location but you can chose not to or make something up. I think when many of us joined VF 20+ years ago we were not as aware of those issues as we are now. Now I know, I make up b'days/locations/etc. for anything that doesn't require the true data.

Anyway - I don't think lack of experience should deter Karla or anyone else from trying to set something up for us. I would like to think that we can work together - and maybe someone with that technical experience will come on board to help.

I think Karla's ProBoards site looks good and if I'm not mistaken she has added some screening questions for new members. I number of us have volunteered to monitor that site. I have no experience with this but I'm willing to learn.

I also think that people are not flocking to forums the way they did 20+ years ago - so I think there are probably fewer "demons" out there to stalk the site. I think most people are using FB, Insta, etc. for communications now.

Everything on this site is public - you may not be able to post without being approved but you can read and see everything.

Donna
Old 08-02-23, 08:09 AM  
Buzzer

This is Wendy's Linkdin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/wendy-kremer-553b481a
This is, I believe, her Husband Ian: https://www.linkedin.com/in/iankremer
This is Wendy's Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/wendynkremer/?hl=en
Wendy's Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/people/wnkremer/

Ian, who from what I can tell is Wendy's husband, his twitter which was still active in January: https://twitter.com/LEAD_Coalition

I'm just posting this because I did a quick google search and this is what I came up with. Wendy doesn't look like she's been active anywhere since 2015, however Ian is still active on his twitter at least. If anyone wants an alternative way to get ahold of her, or to possibly ask her husband what's going on, these might be a good way to start. I sent her an email through VF, however I think she no longer uses that email, doesn't check it, or is ignoring the emails. I have no idea which.

I haven't tried to get ahold of her through these channels yet. However, anyone that is interested can either search for themselves, or use any of these links and see if you get anywhere. Hopefully someone who knows her personally can get ahold of her.

If you think this is invasive of her privacy, or in some other way gross or intrusive, I'm sorry and please don't roast me. I just know people are frustrated with not being able to hear from her, so I am offering possible alternatives to help save the site.
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 08-02-23, 08:51 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

My post earlier about needing expertise was with regard to the migration and maintenance of this website. I agree that it does not take a high level of expertise to start and maintain a different website, and I am thankful to those, like Karla, who have made the effort to do so. We are eventually going to need an alternative if or when VF goes away.

I hope that Wendy is okay. Several people, including myself, have tried to reach her in various ways, to no avail. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, this domain is being renewed, so it isn’t totally abandoned.

By the way, I tried to do a Google search of a VF topic, and my computer would not let me visit the site due to the expired security certificate.

Tags
forum alternative, forum issues, proboard, vf roost, vf site issues