Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 11-30-23, 06:57 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

Eventmom, I also agree about chairs and instructors in general being a pet peeve!! I do a lot of barre type work and am typically able to sub with my couch until I get something better. But sometimes chairs drive me nuts when used in different ways!!

Also just wanted to add the comment that I acquired TA Precision Toning recently and oh, my, I really, really liked this one and found it very challenging. She says something like this is supposed to be a prep for Meta which I can totally see. But oh, my!!! Just sayin'....these workouts are no joke![/QUOTE]

I'd rather do meta than precision toning -- honestly it was a tough one!
Old 11-30-23, 08:11 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eventmom View Post

I'd rather do meta than precision toning -- honestly it was a tough one!
Oh, really? Is Precision Toning worse than Meta then? This makes me feel much better because it really humbled me and kicked my booty the other day. I still want Meta but I'm also kinda afraid of the later levels, hah!!

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
Old 12-01-23, 03:14 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

Precision Toning is a TA I got rid of! It just seemed not that TA too me.
Old 12-01-23, 09:45 PM  
Colleen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by monterey vidiot View Post
Colleen, where did you find your chair?
I have the Ingolf chair from IKEA. This is a good height for me (I'm 5'3").
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/ingolf-...hite-70103250/

If I need a barre only for standing work, I typically just use a folding stepladder that I bought at Home Depot many years ago. It's about the same height as my chair. It has two steps, and the second step is a bit higher than the chair seat. It's sturdy but lightweight and works great for barre workouts and Classical Stretch. I also use it for its intended purpose.

Until I got the chair, I used the stepladder plus the high step for workouts that had both barre and seated exercises. This worked well for most things but I often had to move one or the other out of the way during workouts (small workout area). It's nice to have a two-in-one prop instead, and now I can enjoy the chair work.

If I had a nickel for every time I've had to prove that exercise can work without pain, I'd be a very rich woman.
- Pilates teacher Brooke Siler
Old 12-02-23, 11:57 AM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Colleen, a stepladder is a brilliant idea!! Hmm...I have one but I'm not sure it's tall enough. But why didn't I think of that??? I could even put weights on it to make it more stable. Thanks for sharing the chair info!

Eventmom, I just did Precision Toning again yesterday because I really like the burn (I think?). Can you explain what you mean by 'it seems not that TA' to you? Being new to TA, I'm very curious and want to pick your brain!

Old 12-03-23, 06:15 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittybug View Post
Eventmom, I just did Precision Toning again yesterday because I really like the burn (I think?). Can you explain what you mean by 'it seems not that TA' to you? Being new to TA, I'm very curious and want to pick your brain!
it's been years but I think she uses 5 pound weights and also so much quad work! I liked TA b/c she didn't overwork quads - mine had gotten huge and her workouts helped that.
Old 12-03-23, 07:30 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Eventmom, thank you! You're right, she does use 5-pound weights at the very end of the arm section on this one. And I know what you mean on the quads...actually, that move of squatting down to your heels she does is the one I cannot/will not do even with healthy knees (I have an injured knee right now) and I don't prefer that over her other stuff. I've been modifying that move into more of a squat that's not quite as quad intensive or knee unfriendly. That's not my favorite part of this workout for sure but I really like her floor work for the glutes in this one. I mean, I think? Ouch!! Thank you for the clarification...makes total sense!!

Old 12-03-23, 10:41 PM  
Colleen
VF Supporter

I'm pretty sure that I got the stepladder-as-barre idea from VF ages ago. I remember going to Home Depot to shop for a barre that could also be used as a stepladder. I did some barre moves in the store to make sure that it would work for me. People probably thought I was a bit crazy.

Thanks to Eventmom and others for all the info. I tried a few Tracy Anderson strength workouts years ago and I liked the workouts but I didn't do more because I didn't like her as an instructor (I like more instruction, or at least good cuing). I'm interested in VFer's experiences with this type of strength workout.

If I had a nickel for every time I've had to prove that exercise can work without pain, I'd be a very rich woman.
- Pilates teacher Brooke Siler
Old 12-04-23, 01:27 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen View Post

Thanks to Eventmom and others for all the info. I tried a few Tracy Anderson strength workouts years ago and I liked the workouts but I didn't do more because I didn't like her as an instructor (I like more instruction, or at least good cuing). I'm interested in VFer's experiences with this type of strength workout.
you might try Hamelin d'Abell. He cues but he's not chatty. Fairly similar to TA but tends to build cardio into his workouts. https://www.hamelindabellmethod.com/
he has lots of free workouts on youtube and Vimeo so you can test drive for free.
Old 12-12-23, 06:35 PM  
moonbeam31

I just don't know why in the world her rose quartz weights have to be 2.8lbs?

Tags
barlates tighter assets, tracy anderson, tracy anderson meta, tracy anderson method