Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 11-05-22, 09:30 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by severin817 View Post
I definitely do metabolic and weight training videos. Are more interested in slow and heavy type work or higher reps? Also, what length of workouts do you like to do?
I usually like workouts in the 20 to 30 minute range. I enjoy both slow & heavy and higher reps. I'm not a huge fan of split workouts but I know with shorter workouts it's sometimes necessary. I prefer total body strength work as a rule.
Old 11-05-22, 09:33 AM  
severin817

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post
I usually like workouts in the 20 to 30 minute range. I enjoy both slow & heavy and higher reps. I'm not a huge fan of split workouts but I know with shorter workouts it's sometimes necessary. I prefer total body strength work as a rule.
That's helpful. Thank you!

Although it's more difficult to get a more comprehensive full body workout done in 20-30 minutes with the right programming it can be done.

Thanks for your suggestions!
Old 11-05-22, 09:42 AM  
severin817

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venus View Post
Hi Laura!

I tried the 20 Minute Bodyweight Legs & Glutes Workout. I didn't use dumbbells and got a great workout.

What I liked:
-brief preview and outline of the workout at the beginning
-workout started right away
-brief warm-up and cool-down included
-the exercises performed (the order, the giant sets, the mix of standing and floor, the 45 seconds on/15 seconds off)
-length of the workout
-guidance and form pointers throughout (kept me focused)
-the timer during the exercises
-video quality (I agree that it's very well done/polished!)
-the background (not stark or cluttered)
-your demeanor (friendly, but focused) and clothing (not distracting, and purple!)

Suggestions:
-I like when the thumbnail and title match more closely. I track my workouts and it makes it easier (less confusing) to find a video if I want to repeat it. For example, the thumbnail could have said "20 Minute Bodyweight Legs & Glutes".
-The stated time (20 min) doesn't match the video length (23 min). I would prefer the workout is actually 20 minutes, or if it says "23 minute workout" instead. I know the time is probably rounded for search purposes and many channels do this, so not a big deal. Just a pet peeve.
-I may be in the minority, but I would have liked the workout without music. I had a bit of a headache and the beat was distracting at times. I had the volume low (just loud enough to hear the instructions), so it wasn't too uncomfortable.

The suggestions I made aren't deal breakers for me. I enjoyed the workout, and I will gladly repeat it; it was fun and effective. I thought it would be easy/light, but I did get sweaty and felt worked, but not exhausted, by the end.

I love bodyweight and lower body workouts. I would like to see more of both or either, perhaps all standing and all floorwork lower body workouts?

Thank you for posting about your channel! You have a lot of videos posted already. I only browsed a bit, but definitely want to try more workouts. I'm not into HIIT so much, but I would like to try your bodyweight, boxing cardio, low impact cardio, core, and dumbbell strength workouts! I tend to prefer 15-, 20-, 25-, and 30-minute workouts.

You might want to post in Share the Wealth:

Share the Wealth - November 2022

Thank you so much for the in-depth feedback. Super helpful!

You're right about the search purposes. I rounded it to 20 minutes because no one's searching for a 23 minute workout. What I could do is put the actual time on the thumbnail. Or just make sure I actually keep it 20 minutes.

I'm sorry the music was distracting. I'll look at lowering the volume of the music on workouts where I'm not using the beat. I added that music in after, in the editing process.

I like the idea of doing separate floor work and standing workouts. I'm a big fan of add-on workouts. I'll add that to my list.

Thank you for your suggestions!
Old 11-05-22, 09:44 AM  
severin817

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
I like to use short weighted workouts as addons

I don't remember seeing any Pilates on your playlists, but if you're certified in that OR if you've developed a Pilates-inspired kind of workout, I'd love some of those, too.
Hi Demeris!

I had a certification in mat pilates but never actually taught a pilates class. But I'm definitely open to do pilates-inspired workouts. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 11-05-22, 09:45 AM  
severin817

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negin View Post
Your channel looks great, and I'm about to subscribe. Thank you for this!
Your voice is lovely and the production quality looks fabulous.
Thank you so much! I appreciate that.

Let me know if you have any suggestions for workouts or feedback.

I really want my channel to be community driven.
Old 11-05-22, 10:43 AM  
Karla25

Your stretch video looks fabulous I'm going to try it tonight. I hope you will make more of them! You look a bit nervous in it -reminds me of Karen Voight in her first stretch video. I guess it takes time to relax and feel natural in front of the camera. You're much braver than me People will love you, so don't worry if you're not perfect. Everyone has flaws.

I would like to see gentle weight workouts that include unique arm movements with some easy balance work. I've found that doing the same type of workouts (like only doing Margaret Richard or Cathe) can lead to injury, so I change things up a lot. Also, doing unique arm movements helps work smaller muscle groups and improves mobility.

Ellen Barrett has some good arm workouts. You can try her streaming for free for a week if you're interested in learning some of her moves. Tonique's Sculpt Dynamics has a great light weight arm workout with unique moves. Rebecca Louise also has some good, shorter-length arm workouts. Rebecca Louise Tracy Anderson has a great arm workout in her Mat workout Tracy Anderson Arm
Old 11-05-22, 10:56 AM  
severin817

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla25 View Post
Your stretch video looks fabulous I'm going to try it tonight. I hope you will make more of them! You look a bit nervous in it -reminds me of Karen Voight in her first stretch video. I guess it takes time to relax and feel natural in front of the camera. You're much braver than me People will love you, so don't worry if you're not perfect. Everyone has flaws.

I would like to see gentle weight workouts that include unique arm movements with some easy balance work. I've found that doing the same type of workouts (like only doing Margaret Richard or Cathe) can lead to injury, so I change things up a lot. Also, doing unique arm movements helps work smaller muscle groups and improves mobility.

Ellen Barrett has some good arm workouts. You can try her streaming for free for a week if you're interested in learning some of her moves. Tonique's Sculpt Dynamics has a great light weight arm workout with unique moves. Rebecca Louise also has some good, shorter-length arm workouts. Rebecca Louise Tracy Anderson has a great arm workout in her Mat workout Tracy Anderson Arm
Hi Karla!

I wasn't nervous about the routine itself but I kept going back and forth on whether I should be cueing in the video, doing a voiceover (which I ended up doing) or just have bell cues. I wanted the video to be relaxing and I wasn't sure if my voice was conducive to that.

And you're so right about feeling natural in front of the camera. I've been teaching in-person classes and zoom classes for 25 years but it feels different teaching to a camera and not having that interaction with the participant while I'm teaching. I'm so used to playing off the response from my students. I'm getting better with each video. I just talk like I'm teaching my normal classes. So you may see my personality more each workout.

Thanks so much for your feedback! I do plan to create more stretch/mobility videos in the future.
Old 11-05-22, 12:16 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Hi Karla!

I wasn't nervous about the routine itself but I kept going back and forth on whether I should be cueing in the video, doing a voiceover (which I ended up doing) or just have bell cues. I wanted the video to be relaxing and I wasn't sure if my voice was conducive to that.
I definitely prefer voice cues to bells. I can never seem to follow along without the actual verbal cues (especially for stretching).
Old 11-05-22, 01:39 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
... What is a good time length for a strength workout for you?
Something short-ish? Don't have a preference really, just like to get in some strength work before I've had the chance to talk myself out of it.
Old 11-05-22, 03:21 PM  
ellaenchanted

I like when there are rotations available. It can be from existing workouts but put into a playlist. Or for future content, doing a 4 week rotation or maybe a just having a focus (i.e. stonger. more stable core). I like how Pahla B. has her programs broken into each week being it's own mini rotation for when your the mood to mix it up.

Tags
laurawellsfitness, severin817