Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 05-27-11, 05:19 AM  
Cher

One of the more recent books I’ve read that I’ve enjoyed was A Race To Splendor by Ciji Ware. It’s a historical fiction set around the 1906 San Francisco earthquake.

http://www.amazon.com/Race-Splendor-...6490953&sr=1-1

I’ve also recently read Barbara Edens book which I enjoyed and would like to read Dick Van Dyke’s, Rob Lowe’s, Shania Twain’s and Steven Tyler’s but don’t know when I will actually get around to reading any of them.

I’m currently reading An Uninvited Ghost which is the second book in the series. It’s a cozy mystery about a woman who bought a house with 2 ghosts in it who help her solve mysteries. So far it’s an enjoyable light read.
Old 05-27-11, 06:26 AM  
sherry7899

Shelley, the first book in the Marie Bostwick series is "A Single Thread."

Sherry
Old 05-27-11, 06:43 AM  
nyskier
VF Supporter

I just read Ian McEwan's "Solar." He is one of the best recent writers. I also loved "Atonement," which was made into a movie.
Old 05-27-11, 07:07 AM  
Helen

I didn't like Atonement at all, essentially because it lacked credibity to me- too far fetched that the outcome would have occurred based on what the primary character could have said. The whole scenario didn't gel with me at all.
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Old 05-27-11, 07:08 AM  
bossymurph

"The Paris Wife"

This is terrific. It tells the story of "A Moveable Feast" from the point of view of Hemingway's first wife, who was with him during that period. Needless to say, her experience of Paris was a bit different than his. Reminded me of another great one, "Loving Frank" which was the story of Frank Lloyd Wright's long time mistress.

I am currently going very slowly through the new biography of Particia Highsmith, "The Talented Miss Highsmith." I only read 10% at a time because she is just such a nasty person and I can only take so much. However, she was very talented and fascinating.
Old 05-27-11, 07:16 AM  
Lurdes
VF Supporter

Nyskier, it's always exciting for me to find another Ian McEwan fan! Have you read Saturday? I think it's his best novel, and one of my favorite books ever. Helen, I agree with you about Atonement, and I finished Solar a while ago and definitely didn't love it. A friend of mine recently raved about Enduring Love, so it's now on my list.

At the moment, I'm reading The Corrections, which I'm enjoying more than I expected to. When I'm done I'll move on to Freedom (both by Jonathan Franzen).

Lurdes
Old 05-27-11, 07:45 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Shelley, the first book in the Marie Bostwick series is "A Single Thread."

Sherry
I read the first book by Kate Jacobs and LOVED it. Subsequent books didn't keep my attention.

I A Single Thread and have the second one ready on my Kindle for later this month when we are out of town.

I've read all of Debbie Macomber's knitting books and want to know when the next one will come out! Of course, I've also read her other series as well. For those who enjoy books from a Christian pespective, she wrote a non-fiction book titled Knit Together. It talks about fitting into God's pattern for your life and there are lots of knitting analogies in it.

In sort of the same genre, but a different topic, there is a book title Friendship Bread. It is much like many of these other books where a group of women become friends and go through life. The theme in it is friendship bread starter and how dealing with it affects their lives. I really, really liked this book and am looking forward to the next one.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Old 05-27-11, 08:04 AM  
sherry7899

Laura, we're book twins I have Friendship Bread on reserve at the library!
I am glad to hear you enjoyed it so much.

I have similar books in my TBR pile-I'll post the titles/authors later.

I admit to roaming through bookstores and writing down titles/authors and then checking to see if my library has them. Hardcovers are SO expensive, and I rarely read them more than once.

You may like Gil McNeil-she has a book and a sequel about a newly widowed British woman who opens a knitting shop. You may be able to get them on paperback swap.com

Sherry
Old 05-27-11, 08:30 AM  
Michelle
VF Supporter

Helen, we seem to have similar taste. Can't wait to read "Lexicographer's Dilemma."

Has anyone read Mary Roach's "Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex?" It is both informative and amusing.

"You must do what you think you cannot do."
Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 05-27-11, 08:37 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Sherry- They didn't have any copies of her first book at PBS, but I threw it on my wish list. Thanks for the recommendation! I roam bookstores, send samples to myself of books that look interesting, and then look for them at PBS. The books I want the most I keep on Kindle wish list and buy them after trading in stuff at Amazon to make the price free or cheap. I have an advanced reader's copy of Friendship Bread that I can send you if you don't want to wait for it from the library. (I can't post advanced reader copies on PBS...)

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO

Tags
summer reading