Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 07-25-23, 03:19 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I always have a soft spot for Cathe, but I also do strength workouts with Chris Dorner. She uses a variety of equipment (not all at the same time as that is often a PITA to me) and offers workouts using bands, tubing, dumbbells and a couple of barbell ones that I haven’t tried. I am obsessed with her cardio but began to branch out to her strength offerings and like them as well.

I seem to find that an instructor will do pretty much the same exercise for the same body part over and over again (not the **ing deadlift AGAIN), so switching it up offers some variety and works the muscle in a different way.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
Old 07-25-23, 03:29 PM  
Hsim

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
I always have a soft spot for Cathe, but I also do strength workouts with Chris Dorner. She uses a variety of equipment (not all at the same time as that is often a PITA to me) and offers workouts using bands, tubing, dumbbells and a couple of barbell ones that I haven’t tried. I am obsessed with her cardio but began to branch out to her strength offerings and like them as well.

I seem to find that an instructor will do pretty much the same exercise for the same body part over and over again (not the **ing deadlift AGAIN), so switching it up offers some variety and works the muscle in a different way.
I do agree with that 100%, Cataddict. That is why I do not jump to order every Cathe set that comes out.
Old 07-25-23, 04:12 PM  
AnMrsDe

For straight lifting:

Cathe (STS 2.0 is my favorite set of hers!)
Sagi
Tiff & Dan

For metabolic work:

Yvette Bachman
Michelle Briehler
Cathe Live
KCM

They all have shown positive, creative ways of adding weights which is important to change it up for my tastes.

Wendy, thanks for the mention of 50Fit....it looks good for functional fitness workouts!!
Old 07-25-23, 06:12 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Wow, this thread pretty much highlights for me that strength training is my least favorite as I'm struggling to come up with a list, LOL!

I do like Jessica Smith and I do a number of her workouts for strength training. There are some movements that she does that don't feel right for my back and I either modify or do something else.

I guess in no particular order, other instructors I like for strength (I'm just counting pure strength, not cardio/sculpt or fusion or anything like that):

Jessica Valant - although she is a Pilates instructor she does offer some basic strength training workouts on her Unlimited Site and I have enjoyed them (to the extent I enjoy strength training). They seem well thought out (she is a PT) and not over done. She also does often demonstrate or talk about modifications and ways to vary the workout.

Kathy Smith - she has some nice straightforward weight workouts out there - go at your own pace, etc.

Improved Health - although I did get tired of it - I think her 25 day and 5 day programs are well done. You can double up on them if you want something longer and her lifting pace does allow for heavier weights.

Margaret Richard - this has an elegant feel to me. I enjoy the high reps and floorwork.

Honorable mentions would be Pahla's Push Day workouts that are strength only; Senior Shape by Lauren (she is very zen to me) and Lively Ladies has some good ones as well.

I should give Chris Freytag another try and I have been meaning to try Kaleigh.

Donna

Forgot to add that Jenny Ford has some nice straightforward strength workouts - she doesn't have as many as step or walking - but she has a few good ones that are just strength.
Donna

You might like Lift with Cee's 20 minute workouts. They are very straight forward - nothing overly creative. Those workouts remind me of Jessica Valant's strength workouts.

Carol
Old 07-25-23, 06:46 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
I recently discovered 50Fit on YT, and have only done a functional fitness and a cardio workout, so can't say if I like her weight workouts, but she does have several on her channel. I have noticed that she is quite focused on functional fitness which is so important especially as we age!
This channel is new to me! I really like what I’ve watched so far. I’m about to go on vacation next week — maybe her band/body weight workouts are just what I needed!
Old 07-25-23, 08:15 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla25 View Post
I can send you at least one (maybe more) Cathe DVD that is doable for you. PM me your address if you’re interested.

My favorite is Margaret Richard, mainly because there’s never a dread factor involved. It doesn’t matter how tired I am, I always find energy enough to do one of her workouts.
I also like Cathe, KCM & Jessica very much.
That is so generous of you! I sent you a pm.
Old 07-26-23, 02:37 AM  
Negin

I like many of the ones mentioned here, but my new favorite is Caroline Girvan. I've started off with her Iron series. Oh, I just love feeling and seeing some results at last!
Old 07-27-23, 10:58 AM  
Negin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy G View Post
Caroline Girvan - I’ve done a lot of her You Tube Workouts and subscribe to her app. Just finished Beastmode on the app a few weeks ago and it was excellent.
Kathy, I'm almost halfway through her Iron series, and am really loving it. Other than that, I'm new to CG. I'm considering her app. Would you say that it's suitable for those who are cannot do high-impact? Just the word "Beastmode" intimidates me slightly . Mind you, "Iron Series" intimidated me at first also.
Old 07-27-23, 11:41 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negin View Post
Kathy, I'm almost halfway through her Iron series, and am really loving it. Other than that, I'm new to CG. I'm considering her app. Would you say that it's suitable for those who are cannot do high-impact? Just the word "Beastmode" intimidates me slightly . Mind you, "Iron Series" intimidated me at first also.
I loved Beastmode in her app! At first I thought four sets of weight exercises would have a dread factor but the “staple” in most of the workouts broke them up.

I’m going to admit that I only did the weight workouts, the (2) HIIT with dumbbells, and the finale which was more Metabolic weights. I skipped the (7) body weight HIIT workouts in the program on Sundays. I subbed all those days with treadmill intervals. But I still feel like I got the benefits with the weight workouts. I thought modifying her HIIT to low impact wouldn’t be as easy as it is with a Cathe high impact. CG loves her burpees and sprawls, lol.

She is going to do another Iron program in her app starting in September. I’m so looking forward to it! That’s my favorite CG program so far.

So I think her app is worth it for the weight workouts alone. She has several stand alone new workouts, a beginner program, and great uncomplicated healthy recipes. Plus some newsletter articles which I haven’t had time to read yet. I subscribed for a year because it was $99 US instead of $12.99 US per month (a big savings). Hope that helps. I’m not a fan of high impact anymore although I still do run intervals.
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Old 07-28-23, 01:53 AM  
Negin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy G View Post
IShe is going to do another Iron program in her app starting in September.
Kathy, thank you so much for your super-helpful reply. I'm pretty sure that I will get her app soon. Nope, no burpees or intense moves for me, but I can always substitute.

Tags
caroline girvan, favorite instructors, justina ercole, sydney cummings, youtube strength