Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 02-27-24, 03:30 PM  
TracyQ

Last year was awful. I turned 60 in August and had planned on getting into great shape for that milestone birthday….life had other plans. My mother got severe Covid in January, was in intensive care and almost didn’t make it. After a month in the hospital we brought her home but she needed a lot of care. So my plans got derailed. Despite our best efforts, she never fully recovered and passed away at home in October. The whole ordeal really took a toll on me both mentally and physically.

So this January I stepped up my workouts (lifting heavy with STS2, doing HIIT training, Pilates and Yoga). I upped my protein intake, started taking supplements and got serious about my skin care.

I feel so much better. My sleep has improved and my skin looks a lot better and best of all I’m starting to see some small muscle gains.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
Old 02-27-24, 03:45 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Tracy, how awful. I'm so sorry to hear that you lost your mother. Please accept my condolences.
Old 02-27-24, 04:09 PM  
TracyQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Tracy, how awful. I'm so sorry to hear that you lost your mother. Please accept my condolences.
Thank you Pat.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
Old 02-27-24, 04:53 PM  
seagreen01
VF Supporter

Tracy, what a a very trying and sad time. Sending my condolences to you for the loss of your mother.

The beginning of the year I was off to a great start with all my weight sessions, some cardio, lots of walking and stretching, all feeling very balanced.
In February I hurt a toe (not fitness related) and that has slowed my momentum. I have been able to exercise gently around the injury with upper body weights and floor work, stretching etc.
I am building up slowly but do not feel that energy I had earlier in the year.
Old 02-27-24, 07:51 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

So, my word for the year is wellness and I'm working on various aspects of that, including exercise. I'm doing well with eating better and getting sleep and having quiet time each day.

But I can't make myself exercise. I'm trying to start with easy and short workouts, but can't get those done. Any tips, hacks, or ideas to get myself moving?

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Old 02-27-24, 07:59 PM  
Leonana

Red face

Tracy, I’m so sorry to hear about your mother. Last year must have been terribly hard for you.

(So sorry about the emoji up above. I hit the wrong button trying to press submit.)
Old 02-28-24, 07:09 AM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
So, my word for the year is wellness and I'm working on various aspects of that, including exercise. I'm doing well with eating better and getting sleep and having quiet time each day.

But I can't make myself exercise. I'm trying to start with easy and short workouts, but can't get those done. Any tips, hacks, or ideas to get myself moving?
Will then warmer weather entice you to walk outside? I just stepped out to start DD’s car for school and thought — it’s warm! At 7am! That always makes me want to go for walks.
Old 02-28-24, 04:41 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
How about this:

You are loved and needed! At home and on VF. We need you to be around for a long, long time.

For decades, I turned to Leslie Sansone to get me moving in slumps. A 10 -15 minute walk can be enjoyable.

Walk at Home

(Don't make me come to your house and be your personal trainer!)

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 02-28-24, 07:54 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Alison - That will probably help. I noticed flowers coming up in the back yard today and it may be warmer sooner rather than later.

Alta - With a threat like that, I may get to it tomorrow... (And I'll check out the Leslie link. I did her workouts for a long time back in the day.)

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Old 02-28-24, 08:55 PM  
acey

My 2,024 workouts are still there, many of them unopened to this day lol

I've been trying to ramp back up to more robust workouts after 3 years of working out only about half an hour a day, 3-4 days a week, and trying to get in some outdoor walking. I used to be a true workout fanatic for almost 20 years. Then I got sepsis in 2019, gout and tailor's bunions since then, and also...got into my 50's.

Been doing better lately with longer workouts, remembering that time does fly by when I'm in the groove. Did an old CIA, Aerobic Euphoria; a couple of Kelley's Raw workouts (the 50-min. Box and Burn 5 yesterday); some Dancing With the Stars; and my current absolute favorite cardio workout - Kari Anderson's Sweat Express 2.

However, I just bought a 3rd DVD/VHS player because one of my first two is being mighty wonky.

Tags
motivation, new year goals, new year rotations, results, setbacks