Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 07-31-23, 04:24 PM  
Karla25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
Joni, I don't recall having to provide a cc number or being asked for one when I signed up for the pro boards forum? Maybe I did something wrong?

Karla, thanks again for taking the time and making the effort to find a landing spot for the group. What you've done may not suit everyone, but you are doing SOMETHING, and I for one appreciate it.
Thank you. I appreciate your thoughtfulness in thanking me as I have put a lot of time into it. I am open to suggestions for improvement and have even set-up a screener for new members. It's still a work in progress and I am learning as I go.
Old 07-31-23, 05:42 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla25 View Post
Thank you for your responses. It appears that 3 of you are worried about things that MIGHT happen. I have no problem blocking spammers, nut cases, or downright mean people and deleting their posts. I want people to feel comfortable and be happy.

So far, nothing like what the three of you have described has happened at the new forum. The Home Video Fitness Forum is a gathering place for VF members and friends that want a place to fall back on when/if this forum goes under.

You're all welcome to join, but if you're too concerned about things that might happen someday, I understand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla25 View Post
Thank you. I appreciate your thoughtfulness in thanking me as I have put a lot of time into it. I am open to suggestions for improvement and have even set-up a screener for new members. It's still a work in progress and I am learning as I go.
Honestly, something in the tone of your responses has me wondering if, in fact, this is something you ought to be doing at all.

Style? Your replies here seem both fawning and catty, in one breath dismissive of those who have anything critical to say, and begging for gratitude from everyone else. In my experience, this particular interplay never comes across well. And yes, I've seen this exact issues play out before when groups transitioned from one forum to another. It isn't something people want to be a part of, long term and tends to lead to needless drama.

People in charge of a forum need to be able to keep their need for validation completely separate from their work for the forum. (The forum has needs whether or not the membership is capable of expressing sufficient gratitude to the 'owner' of the forum.)

I have to wonder if you've got the right mindset at all, however much you might enjoy the idea of having a forum of your own.

The issues I brought up may not seem like much to you, for now, but coping with the sheer volume of them in an active forum with a staff of volunteers takes a great deal of diplomacy and tact from everyone, especially the person who set up the forum. Not hearing from Wendy may be kind of annoying to us, but at least she isn't seeking praise at random or cherry picking her audience.

Are we living in some sort of post-forum world where even the bots don't bother making a nuisance of themselves? I don't think so. Over time this stuff will wear on your nerves, I sincerely hope it doesn't actually become an issue.
Old 07-31-23, 05:55 PM  
pgun3

Keep up the great work Karla!!
Old 07-31-23, 06:08 PM  
Leonana

Thanks Karla. I also appreciate your initiative in starting the forum. This is all a work in progress, and we’re all learning as we go. I’m willing to give it a try.
Old 07-31-23, 06:26 PM  
fatkat555

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
Karla, thanks again for taking the time and making the effort to find a landing spot for the group. What you've done may not suit everyone, but you are doing SOMETHING, and I for one appreciate it.
Ditto!

Thank you!

You have to make a mess, sometimes, to clean it up.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Old 07-31-23, 07:13 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by karla25 View Post
it's free to join the group If the group becomes more active, i will pay for the ad free version which covers everyone.
💕💕💕
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
Old 07-31-23, 08:27 PM  
suzanne63

I really hope and pray we get to stay here at this video fitness Forum. I love it here. We have been here a long time.
Old 07-31-23, 10:53 PM  
lgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
Honestly, something in the tone of your responses has me wondering if, in fact, this is something you ought to be doing at all.

Style? Your replies here seem both fawning and catty, in one breath dismissive of those who have anything critical to say, and begging for gratitude from everyone else. In my experience, this particular interplay never comes across well. And yes, I've seen this exact issues play out before when groups transitioned from one forum to another. It isn't something people want to be a part of, long term and tends to lead to needless drama.

People in charge of a forum need to be able to keep their need for validation completely separate from their work for the forum. (The forum has needs whether or not the membership is capable of expressing sufficient gratitude to the 'owner' of the forum.)

I have to wonder if you've got the right mindset at all, however much you might enjoy the idea of having a forum of your own.

The issues I brought up may not seem like much to you, for now, but coping with the sheer volume of them in an active forum with a staff of volunteers takes a great deal of diplomacy and tact from everyone, especially the person who set up the forum. Not hearing from Wendy may be kind of annoying to us, but at least she isn't seeking praise at random or cherry picking her audience.

Are we living in some sort of post-forum world where even the bots don't bother making a nuisance of themselves? I don't think so. Over time this stuff will wear on your nerves, I sincerely hope it doesn't actually become an issue.
With respect, your post seems unnecessarily harsh & disdainful - it doesn’t seem like constructive criticism about technology or suggestions for a website, your words are attacking her character & are full of unnecessary unfair assumptions - just seem to be aimed at tearing her down . She is not begging for gratitude, what an incredibly rude thing to say!
Are you illustrating a point about inappropriate, negative posts?
I am not a moderator, but I do stand up to bullies & you are bullying her & insulting character. The contempt in your post overshadows any kind of constructive feedback you may have intended.

Vous pouvez sortir Mademoiselle de Paris, mais vous ne pouvez pas sortir Paris de Mademoiselle.
The ball is round, a game lasts 90 minutes, everything else is pure theory. Off we go!

Passionate about Kundalini Yoga and Running.
Berlin Marathon - September 28, 2008.
Old 07-31-23, 11:11 PM  
lgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatkat555 View Post
Ditto!

Thank you!
Yes, agreed, and it is worth noting -
We here have a very old, outdated not secure version of v-bulletin - it’s like Windows 95, Microsoft had since moved onto newer versions of windows and isn’t supporting 95, which means deficiencies, technology glitches and most importantly insecurities are not being fixed or updated, Microsoft retired it and offered users switch to other versions which it maintains.
This forum here is running on a Windows 95 outdated not secure version of v bulletin.
What is being created with another v-bulletin is essentially something that would in theory, if all permissions were granted, allow us to keep the content of thus forum, migrate it from this site to another site smoothly, like taking a DVD out of one DVD case & putting it into another.
It is fair to say that we all as creators of this content have certain ownership rights to this content too.
With other forums that utilize different technologies, it’s good they exist of course, and we all can start something there if needed, and it’d be possible to transfer content but we’d need a laborious process, it’d be like transferring a vhs onto a dvd in a different zone, and it would be lengthy & not inexpensive.

So I think it’s good to have input into how the forum might be run, but designing a forum on a site with technology able to receive all we created over the years is incredibly helpful.
Thank you!

I am not a software developer, but I am a cybersecurity professional. I am normally too shy to post on GD frankly but this forum means a lot.

Vous pouvez sortir Mademoiselle de Paris, mais vous ne pouvez pas sortir Paris de Mademoiselle.
The ball is round, a game lasts 90 minutes, everything else is pure theory. Off we go!

Passionate about Kundalini Yoga and Running.
Berlin Marathon - September 28, 2008.
Old 08-01-23, 06:45 AM  
Donna D

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgk View Post
With respect, your post seems unnecessarily harsh & disdainful - it doesn’t seem like constructive criticism about technology or suggestions for a website, your words are attacking her character & are full of unnecessary unfair assumptions - just seem to be aimed at tearing her down . She is not begging for gratitude, what an incredibly rude thing to say!
Are you illustrating a point about inappropriate, negative posts?
I am not a moderator, but I do stand up to bullies & you are bullying her & insulting character. The contempt in your post overshadows any kind of constructive feedback you may have intended.
I agree with you - thanks for posting!

Tags
forum alternative, forum issues, proboard, vf roost, vf site issues