Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 08-04-11, 11:49 AM  
Hilary

Debbie, I traded in a bunch of stuff to Amazon recently including a textbook which was rejected as the "wrong item" even though the ISBN's were identical. It's not Amazon that's sending it back, it's the third-party vendor. In the case of the textbook, the third-party vendor sent the book (which weighed several pounds at least) in a flimsy bubble envelope. Needless to say, one corner got smashed and there was a half-inch tear on the spine. I called Amazon customer service, used their "call me back" option, and they immediately gave me the full trade-in value of the book in Amazon credit, without expecting me to mail the book back. You definitely should call Amazon. It's not their packaging, it's the third-party's and Amazon should know that they're not doing it properly.
Old 09-02-11, 12:07 PM  
alisoncooks

**THREAD BUMP**

I've been a big fan of the Amazon trade-in program. I've gotten rid of many a Elmo's World dvd, plus numerous exercise dvd duds.

HOWEVER, as of today, I will NOT use that program again.
I am so STINKIN' tired of them cracking my dvds. And yes, I am blaming them (or whomever they contract this job out to). Someone needs to teach them a lesson in dvd handling and how to properly remove discs from cases (I have mental images of them grabbing the disc by one edge and lifting up, middle spindle be darned.)

I mailed in a random movie and was only getting a few bucks for it....but it was LIKE NEW when I mailed it in (in a box, adequate padding around, bubble wrap inside case). When it was returned, there was a crack that extended from the inner circle to HALFWAY across the silver. Completely unplayable. So now I have zero trade-in credit and zero movie. #$*9#&@!

Anyway, I have also had a similar experience with a very expensive exercise dvd being returned, but thank goodness, the NEW crack they "found" (*cough* MADE *cough*) was miniscule and didn't affect play.

Anyway, just wanted to put this word of warning. Don't send it in unless you are absolutely fine with the above situation being a possibility.

*rant over*
Old 09-02-11, 02:14 PM  
Artist of Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by isebelleg44 View Post
I just traded in 29 dvds and a few were ones I never even did, but they downgraded the status from as good as new to good. Anyone understand their criteria for a dvd to be considered as good as new. Thanks!
I don't understand why they do this either. I traded in about 300 DVDs and 15 were down-graded. Of those 6 were still sealed and never opened. A few others I checked carefully bc like you, used them 1-2x max. I guess it depends on the person checking and what mood they are in. I was a little ticked at first but it only came to about $7-10 in the total gift card difference at the most.

It's annoying and I have nothing to add to this except that I understand what happened!

" We have to embrace who we are today. We have to say, this is me, and I can live a wonderful life today." FitBoop

"Walking is Man's Best Medicine for Life" Hippocrates

"Of all exercises walking is the best." Thomas Jefferson

"Thoughts come clearly while one walks." Thomas Mann
Old 09-02-11, 02:20 PM  
Artist of Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
**THREAD BUMP**

I've been a big fan of the Amazon trade-in program. I've gotten rid of many a Elmo's World dvd, plus numerous exercise dvd duds.

HOWEVER, as of today, I will NOT use that program again.
I am so STINKIN' tired of them cracking my dvds. And yes, I am blaming them (or whomever they contract this job out to). Someone needs to teach them a lesson in dvd handling and how to properly remove discs from cases (I have mental images of them grabbing the disc by one edge and lifting up, middle spindle be darned.)

I mailed in a random movie and was only getting a few bucks for it....but it was LIKE NEW when I mailed it in (in a box, adequate padding around, bubble wrap inside case). When it was returned, there was a crack that extended from the inner circle to HALFWAY across the silver. Completely unplayable. So now I have zero trade-in credit and zero movie. #$*9#&@!

Anyway, I have also had a similar experience with a very expensive exercise dvd being returned, but thank goodness, the NEW crack they "found" (*cough* MADE *cough*) was miniscule and didn't affect play.

Anyway, just wanted to put this word of warning. Don't send it in unless you are absolutely fine with the above situation being a possibility.

*rant over*
I had this issue also with a Leslie Sansone workout. I called and did the internet chat with amazon CS and all they could do was tell me to read the rules and my answer would be solved. CS Reps were foreign so I don't think they understood. The ended the chat before the issue was solved. So like you, I am out of a workout that could have been sold on eBay or used again by me at a later date. I was a little burned by it, but what can ya do? I figure one DVD wasn't worth fighting with them over. I think I'll stick to book trade-ins for a while.

" We have to embrace who we are today. We have to say, this is me, and I can live a wonderful life today." FitBoop

"Walking is Man's Best Medicine for Life" Hippocrates

"Of all exercises walking is the best." Thomas Jefferson

"Thoughts come clearly while one walks." Thomas Mann
Old 09-02-11, 03:14 PM  
bearcatfan

How weird. I sent in a bunch and the condition was UPgraded from good to like new (they were not sealed). I guess I lucked into a happy Amazon employee that day.
Old 09-02-11, 04:21 PM  
adrien_73

I just mailed in 60 dvds today. I always mark the box as "fragile" in hopes that it won't be mishandled. We'll see what happens...
Old 09-02-11, 04:25 PM  
EnglishIvy

I've had mostly good experiences with Amazon trade-in but they did lose a disc once. I inspect/bubble wrap all discs before sending them out. They returned an empty case to me (what a waste of postage) with a note that said "disc missing". Bull!! It was a fitness dvd that I had hardly used. It didn't even leave the case when I owned it LOL and it was in pristine condition when I sent it. They probably deal with thousands of discs so a mistake now and then is not completely unexpected. I'm glad it was only worth a few bucks in credit.

As far as their grading, there is a large and fast fluctuation in the prices for used DVDs. I have a feeling that if the market downgrades a lot from the time you turn in the DVD and the time they receive it, employees may be instructed to be less "generous" in grading. It makes sense that they would stay on top of the profit. I've been shocked a few time at the changing amount of credit offered for a DVD. A DVD can be worth 50 cents one day and $4 the next.
Old 09-02-11, 07:23 PM  
Orlita

Thanks for the warning about clumsy handlers. I think if I send some in I'll put the disc in a CD envelope inside the case, so they won't have to pull it off the spindle.
Old 09-02-11, 08:30 PM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlita View Post
Thanks for the warning about clumsy handlers. I think if I send some in I'll put the disc in a CD envelope inside the case, so they won't have to pull it off the spindle.
Good idea. I was incredibly lucky that everything was received well, but I may just do this going forward. That is, if I still decide to use the service.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
Old 09-09-11, 01:06 PM  
adrien_73

I just received 2 of my dvds back with cracked spindles. I KNOW they weren't cracked when I sent them in. I have traded in approx. 360 DVDs in the past 6 months and these are the only 2 I had problems with. I guess that's no so bad but I'm still a bit miffed!

Tags
amazon, amazon trade-in program, amazon.com