Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 05-05-16, 12:13 PM  
Sassy
VF Supporter

This thread is making me want to go on a shopping spree at Mary's site before everything is GONE FOREVER.

I'm one of those that needs too much variety for subscription sites to be a good deal. I've subscribed to EccentricsTV for a month to sample things before buying, and already I'm feeling pressured to make the most of that money I spent. And not in a good - Yay, this'll make me workout way. More like I'm depressed that if I want to take a break and do ANYTHING else, I'll feel like I'm wasting money.

"The only difference between the saint and the sinner is that every saint has a past and every sinner has a future." ~~~Oscar Wilde
Old 05-05-16, 12:23 PM  
horusosiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy View Post
I'm one of those that needs too much variety for subscription sites to be a good deal. I've subscribed to EccentricsTV for a month to sample things before buying, and already I'm feeling pressured to make the most of that money I spent. And not in a good - Yay, this'll make me workout way. More like I'm depressed that if I want to take a break and do ANYTHING else, I'll feel like I'm wasting money.
This is how I feel too. I enjoy too much variety to subscribe to any one streaming site for too long (my only exception is Cathe Live).
Old 05-05-16, 12:31 PM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Thanks, Carrie! Our SONY dvd player from 2012 stopped supporting the you tube app. We did get an Amazon Fire stick so I can get you tube on the tv.
The problem we have with using a USB is that our desktops computer are old and don't have the memory for downloads. My DH uses our laptop for work, so I can't take up space on that for workouts.

Sherry
Sherry I've gotten the download thing figured out and it works awesome! I did have to make an investment in two things. First I went and bought this portable USB external hard drive: http://www.amazon.com/Elements-Porta...hard+drive+2TB It's available with 1 TB, 1.5 TB and 2TB and is pretty reasonably priced for all that storage. Then to play all those digital files, I bought this media player: http://www.amazon.com/Micca-Full-HD-...=media+players You hook the USB port from the external hard drive to the media player and then the HDMI port from the media player to your TV, presto bingo: you have all your downloads available to play on your television set! As long as your tv has an HDMI port, you are good to go.

I got the 1 TB external hard drive and I ripped ALL my dvds onto it, plus downloads I've purchased and I still haven't filled it up. I even bought a second one to back everything up so I now have two of these babies with all my workouts on them in one place. You hook it up to your computer through the USB port and it is crazy easy to download things onto it, create folders, etc. I've even created my own workout mixes by combining different clips of various workouts into one folder, numbering them so they play in the right order in the folder and VOILA, whole new workout without even burning a dvd-r. It's incredible and so easy.

So....I'm all set for downloads...if only instructors would start filming workouts and releasing them in that format.
Old 05-05-16, 12:42 PM  
sherry7899

Colleen-thank you so much! I am such a tech idiot-I never would have figured all that out. I saved both items to my Amazon cart. Maybe I'll give it a try in the future. Thank you!

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
Old 05-05-16, 12:52 PM  
Sassy
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyefit View Post
I got the 1 TB external hard drive and I ripped ALL my dvds onto it, plus downloads I've purchased and I still haven't filled it up.

Colleen,

What software, or how do you rip your DVDs onto the hard drive. I'm really interested in doing something like this.

"The only difference between the saint and the sinner is that every saint has a past and every sinner has a future." ~~~Oscar Wilde
Old 05-05-16, 01:08 PM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy View Post
Colleen,

What software, or how do you rip your DVDs onto the hard drive. I'm really interested in doing something like this.
There's Handbrake, which is a free software program and works for many dvds, although not all of them. I did wind up purchasing a program called WinX DVD Ripper platinum for some that couldn't be done with Handbrake. (Of course, I rip these for my own personal use only) I also like to chop my workouts up into various clips and recombine them to make all new workouts. To do that, I use a free software program called Free Video Cutter. It took a long time to upload all my dvds, but man is it ever worth it. I could probably get rid of my dvd's...but I honestly like to hang on to most of them and still use those pretty often.
Old 05-05-16, 01:09 PM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Colleen-thank you so much! I am such a tech idiot-I never would have figured all that out. I saved both items to my Amazon cart. Maybe I'll give it a try in the future. Thank you!

Sherry
You're welcome! Don't be intimidated. I couldn't believe how easy it was once I got the right gizmos!
Old 05-05-16, 02:13 PM  
Chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyefit View Post
There's Handbrake, which is a free software program and works for many dvds, although not all of them. I did wind up purchasing a program called WinX DVD Ripper platinum for some that couldn't be done with Handbrake. (Of course, I rip these for my own personal use only) I also like to chop my workouts up into various clips and recombine them to make all new workouts. To do that, I use a free software program called Free Video Cutter. It took a long time to upload all my dvds, but man is it ever worth it. I could probably get rid of my dvd's...but I honestly like to hang on to most of them and still use those pretty often.
OMG you're like a workout DJ! I so wish you could do shows, and we could all go work out to your mixes in our festive fitness wear. Some flashing lights, a smoothie bar...
Old 05-05-16, 02:30 PM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper View Post
OMG you're like a workout DJ! I so wish you could do shows, and we could all go work out to your mixes in our festive fitness wear. Some flashing lights, a smoothie bar...
So. Much. Fun.
Old 05-05-16, 02:49 PM  
JENILU

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiwasinhawaii View Post
Jessica Smith is very prolific! She seems to have something new on her youtube channel almost on a weekly basis and she's doing a new DVD now.
Her hubbie just came out with a new one as well. Looks like he is using the same set she has been using!
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B...f_rd_i=desktop

If You Argue for Your Limitations, You Get to Keep Them!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown

Tags
old thread alert, ripping dvds