Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 01-06-15, 11:22 AM  
amomx5
VF Supporter

Home Hair Color

Happy New Year everyone!
I read the boards every day but do not post often. I want to start coloring my own hair. I have tried doing it before but was unhappy with the one all over kind of flat color. I am 57 and have 1/2 gray roots on top but not in the back of my head?! Can anyone recommend a good at home hair color line? I cannot do highlights , believe me I've tried on my own- not pretty so I am looking for a single color that has some dimension to it! Thanks so much.
Old 01-06-15, 12:16 PM  
debbied
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amomx5 View Post
Happy New Year everyone!
I read the boards every day but do not post often. I want to start coloring my own hair. I have tried doing it before but was unhappy with the one all over kind of flat color. I am 57 and have 1/2 gray roots on top but not in the back of my head?! Can anyone recommend a good at home hair color line? I cannot do highlights , believe me I've tried on my own- not pretty so I am looking for a single color that has some dimension to it! Thanks so much.
I have been using Clairol's Age Defy for the past three or four months and I really like it. There is a 'pre-treat' gel included that you put on your dry hair. People have commented on the color and I really like how my hair feels/shines.

Constantly in a state of gratitude.

Dream big because the only thing that can hold you back is a life without dreams. Sean O'Malley

If you can keep your head when all around you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. Jean Kerr
Old 01-06-15, 12:33 PM  
amomx5
VF Supporter

Thank you for that suggestion. When you recolor do you just do the roots?
Old 01-06-15, 03:52 PM  
mspina

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieIL View Post
Michelle,
I'd love to know your at-home hair coloring secret! I am so so nervous to color at home, after a fiasco that ended with dark green hair in college. I'd love to color at home, & use the $ for something else (workout equipment, streaming workouts, etc).
Julie
Green!!!!!

I have brown hair that I color brown, now with more of a golden hue to it. I am now using eSalon (www.esalon.com) - I REALLY like it and if you get their coloring tools kit with the brush, bowl, clips, timer, and the protective cape, it makes it REALLY easy! Their website helps you create your ideal color, they mix it up custom for you, and ship it to you directly. The color comes with a one-use shampoo, conditioner, stain guard (to put on your skin at the hairline) and stain remover pads. You can then get on an auto ship program (which you can define yourself by #weeks) - and they always email you before they ship to ask if you liked your last formula or if it needs a little tweaking. I had them lighten mine a bit after the first try and they did a great job. My color looks great and it's super soft and shiny.

My daughter (12) helps me with the back of my head because I haven't figured out how to do that by myself yet, but I only need to do that every other color or so.

Random Stuff:
  • Spinervals Team Member Triathlon Coach
  • Avid CrossFitter
  • Former Triathlon Fanatic
  • 2008 Boston Marathon Finisher
  • Cast member in IronGirl StrEndurance workout (released 12/07)

Old 01-06-15, 04:02 PM  
mspina

Quote:
Originally Posted by amomx5 View Post
Thank you for that suggestion. When you recolor do you just do the roots?
See my post above about eSalon...

Also, when I recolor, I will just do my roots, but after about .... halfway through the processing time I will comb the color through. I don't fret about getting color on every strand to the same length - that's actually not the point. I do it just in case to avoid an obvious color line (not sure that would even happen, but that's my motivation) - the comb just spreads the color a bit throughout somewhat randomly. Mine ends up looking great. I have a lot of dimension, the color is very pretty, and my hair is soft and shiny. I really like this product.

Random Stuff:
  • Avid CrossFitter

Old 01-06-15, 04:28 PM  
mspina

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARIKA View Post
Tracy, I LOVE the Hair perfector!! I had the Original and just bought the 1.5 inch. I'm 49 and my hair is long and it gives me the best volume and shine.Buy it from QVc because i you return it , it will be quick and painless!
Dammit woman! The last thing I need is a new styling product, but I'm a total push-over when it comes to this stuff!

Is this better than a straight iron? My hair is slightly longer than shoulder length, with an annoying level of waviness to it that I need to deal with somehow. Many days, the blow dryer does the trick, but some days I need a straight iron. However, I hate that obvious "straight iron hair" that straight irons give you, you know? Would this be a good substitute?

Random Stuff:
  • Avid CrossFitter

Old 01-06-15, 04:40 PM  
MARIKA

Michelle, I like it better then the flat iron, and I have a nice one too I thinnk for me anyways at this point the straight here is just too severe for me. This will straighten and flu if that makes sense. SORRY< this place is brutal on the wallet

I also was on a quest to find a great leave-in conditioner, I researched and ended up buying Its a 10 leave in Miracle conditioner. Its great so far, really makes my hair feel different.
Old 01-06-15, 04:42 PM  
mspina

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARIKA View Post
Michelle, I like it better then the flat iron, and I have a nice one too I thinnk for me anyways at this point the straight here is just too severe for me. This will straighten and flu if that makes sense. SORRY< this place is brutal on the wallet

I also was on a quest to find a great leave-in conditioner, I researched and ended up buying Its a 10 leave in Miracle conditioner. Its great so far, really makes my hair feel different.
Thank you Marika!!!! Off to order....

Random Stuff:
  • Avid CrossFitter

Old 01-06-15, 05:36 PM  
JulieIL

Michelle, Thanks for the info on esalon. I will definitely check it out.

Doing the back is going to be tricky- I've got long hair halfway down my back (I keep thinking I'm too old for long hair... but darn it, I'm old enough to know that I love my long hair!). I'll have to recruit one of my teen sons or DH for the job.

Thanks again!

Julie
Old 01-06-15, 10:59 PM  
Libby

Grande Lash

Has anyone used this product? I'm very leery about using this but my dental hygienist uses it and her eyelashes do look good and the reviews on Amazon for it are very good also. But the bad reviews make me leery.

Tags
beauty thread, gray hair, grey hair