Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 12-20-06, 06:40 PM  
jordan

I gotta stop coming back to this thread. I'm buckling.

jordan
Old 12-20-06, 06:54 PM  
bfj

Red,
Can I ask you a question? I am a bit confused! Don't you need a pair of each size for each hand? I just can't picture how it's done with one band!!

Oh! Wait!! Do I put one knee or foot in the band?? That would make it work!! Maybe I should go and read all the replies to find the answer!!

Thank you in advance.
Bita
Old 12-20-06, 07:09 PM  
Debra

"Empowering"

"Empowering" is exactly right, especially for those of us who have never done a pullup in our life.

Debra
Old 12-20-06, 07:16 PM  
Debra

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfj
Red,
Can I ask you a question? I am a bit confused! Don't you need a pair of each size for each hand? I just can't picture how it's done with one band!!

Oh! Wait!! Do I put one knee or foot in the band?? That would make it work!! Maybe I should go and read all the replies to find the answer!!

Thank you in advance.
Bita
Bita, go back & read Red's pencil & rubberband tutorial. You only need 1 band. Your hands will be on your pullup bar, your feet or knees will be at the bottom loop of the band.

I put both of my feet in the band, one at a time so it's like a pullup assist machine at a gym. A knee is another option. One or both feet/knees another option. The height of your bar, your weight & height, & your strength are all going to factor into what works for you.

Hope that helps.

Debra
Old 12-20-06, 07:36 PM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

For those of you who are pretty strong and light and don't want to fork over the bucks for this set up, it is possible to get chin-ups without assistance. I did it by training negative reps for about a month. After that I was able to do one. Then I trained doubles, then triples, etc. So you may want to consider this before buying the equipment. Again, you need to be pretty strong already to train the negatives, and it helps a lot if you're pretty lean. Being short will help too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~^~RedFlame~^~
I wish I had a bar in my doorway too, though I guess it isn't the greatest setup for Wide pullups.
Why do you want to train wide grip pull-ups? Those are tough on your rotator cuffs. They use a shorter range of motion and put yourself in a much weaker position than full ROM, shoulder width, supinated grip chins.

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
Old 12-20-06, 09:02 PM  
Lianne
VF Supporter

A picture is worth a thousand.....you know

http://www.michaelboyle.biz/joomla/d...%20Chinups.pdf
Old 12-20-06, 09:09 PM  
bfj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lianne
A picture is worth a thousand.....you know

http://www.michaelboyle.biz/joomla/d...%20Chinups.pdf

Perfect! Thank you!
Old 12-20-06, 09:25 PM  
Lianne
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenP
For those of you who are pretty strong and light and don't want to fork over the bucks for this set up, it is possible to get chin-ups without assistance. I did it by training negative reps for about a month. After that I was able to do one. Then I trained doubles, then triples, etc. So you may want to consider this before buying the equipment. Again, you need to be pretty strong already to train the negatives, and it helps a lot if you're pretty lean. Being short will help too.

Why do you want to train wide grip pull-ups? Those are tough on your rotator cuffs. They use a shorter range of motion and put yourself in a much weaker position than full ROM, shoulder width, supinated grip chins.
I'm not light - far from it - I think I'm even too heavy for the bands to be of much help, so when I start P90X, I plan on doing assisted pull-ups as shown in the pictures in Step 2 here

Karen - I'm wondering what you think about a wide grip in this situation - is it just bad for the shoulders all around? I would love to get a full critique of P90X from you - any chance you've seen it?
Old 12-20-06, 10:02 PM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lianne
Karen - I'm wondering what you think about a wide grip in this situation - is it just bad for the shoulders all around? I would love to get a full critique of P90X from you - any chance you've seen it?
Lianne, I haven't seen it. So no critique from me.

Using a wide grip puts unwanted stress on the external rotators of your shoulders. This is bad. The shoulder-width grip puts your shoulders in the strongest position, and allows the fullest ROM. This is good.

ETA, the assisted version in your link looks really good.

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
Old 12-21-06, 05:24 AM  
Aline

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenP

I recently had to lay off the narrow grip chinups because they were bothering my elbows. The best I ever worked up to unassisted was 3, but now I lost those. So I got a band to start over from scratch.

I'm thinking the wide grip ones (for people who have that range of motion, which I do) might be better functional training for yoga, as in better positions of shoulderblades on back. I don't like where shoulderblades tend to go in plain chinups as much. So if I can accept I will be less successful with wide-grip ones, being in a weaker position should not make a difference, right?

The two positions use different muscles anyway, don't they? or at least, use the same muscles in a different way? (sorry. my halfhazard anatomy knowledge is showing.) Or even, contribute to a more V-shaped torso, rather than sunken in. Anyone?

Tags
iron woody bands