Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 04-17-24, 06:12 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I have used an electric kettle for years. I use it for making tea - hot and iced. And there are other things I use it for periodically when I need boiling water.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Old 04-17-24, 08:13 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Yea, about the only thing true about Americans from the US is that our healthcare sucks. Oh, and we can walk around out in the open with guns in some states. I've never once had hot dogs and mac and cheese on pizza. I saw that on TikTok somewhere and the NYer in me nearly cried.
Oh that sounds gross! It does remind me of the Big Bang Theory and Sheldon’s favorite meal of hot dogs in spaghetti lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post

here's a good article about ways you can use a french press:

https://www.royalcupcoffee.com/blog/...ealthy%20drink.

iced coffee using the french press:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zC6lzmvIKA

i honestly loved watching that show on Bravo - here's a short demo clip from that show (Bar Rescue) using the french press:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snwQbnZqLI0
Thanks, I’ll check them out. I think I probably don’t have the right type of coffee, as in the grind.
Old 04-17-24, 08:56 PM  
Helen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
Sorry, I didn’t mean to assume. I appreciate you asking the question! I’m probably over sensitive.
No sorries needed! Women say sorry far too easily.

As to how the rest of us view the US....
Often what makes it to us are the extreme ends and movies/TV of course.
It's REALLY hard to know the reality of BEING there.
Old 04-17-24, 09:03 PM  
Helen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercat View Post
Helen, the tea and coffee cultures in different countries are so fascinating to me. Coffee makers, whether drip or Keurig/pods (a relatively new appliance that originated in offices), are ubiquitous in the US, whereas electric kettles are ubiquitous in the UK where people drink more tea and many use press pots/French press/cafetieres or use instant coffee. Drinking instant coffee is considered a desperation move by Americans

I recently read a book by an Australian author and her characters were constantly boiling water on the stove to make instant coffee and I wanted to yell, "go buy a coffee maker or at least a press pot!" LOL
Agreed - instant is awful. It'd be weird for someone not to have a kettle here, but instant coffee is definitely not highly regarded. Many (including my family) feel the same about teabags (a way to sell what fell to the factory floor!) - it's particularly irksome to be charged in a café the same price for a cup of hot water with a bag dangling in it as for a barista espresso!
Old 04-21-24, 04:17 PM  
Ti Goddess
VF Supporter

Ours is used daily -- for tea, preheating water for the moka pot, making hummingbird food, and occasionally giving the pasta water a head start. It's a Breville and is probably the most used appliance in my kitchen.
Old 04-21-24, 06:04 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Yes, we have an electric kettle and I'm in the U.S.

Carol
Old 04-21-24, 06:31 PM  
alisoncooks

I’ve never had one. I usually boil water on the stove for ramen or tea. That said, youngest dd has been begging for one for making ramen and oldest dd is hosting a fancy dress tea party for graduation, so maybe I’ll get one to make my life easier.
Old 04-22-24, 05:04 AM  
Helen

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
I’ve never had one. I usually boil water on the stove for ramen or tea. That said, youngest dd has been begging for one for making ramen and oldest dd is hosting a fancy dress tea party for graduation, so maybe I’ll get one to make my life easier.
YOu won't regret getting one. It doesn't have to be fancy, but one with that you can see the water level is useful - stainless with a window is typical.
Old 04-22-24, 08:48 AM  
donnamp

Goodness, I am finding I want one now, too! LOL!

Donna
Old 04-22-24, 09:47 AM  
Leonana

I finally made some decent pour over coffee! I think I needed a finer ground of coffee.

Tags
coffee, french press, off topic, off-topic, tea