Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 04-01-24, 04:36 PM  
LindaL
VF Supporter

I read The Women last week. I was on vacation from work so I was able to finish it in about 3 days. It was excellent, but so sad. DH walked in on me sobbing through the last chapter and was a little concerned! I ended up checking out a few non-fiction books on women in Vietnam, which supported everything that Kristin Hannah included in the book. Those women were so brave.

I’ve discovered the Renee Ballard series by Michael Connelly of Bosch and Lincoln Lawyer fame. I have 2 more to go in the series.

I read Same Time Next Summer over the weekend. It was pretty good. The problem reading something as great as The Women is that it takes you awhile to get over the story and find something that gives you that magic feeling again where you’re totally engrossed in another world.

Disclosure: I was a Beachbody success story and part of a P90X infomercial.
Old 04-01-24, 06:50 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

A few weeks ago, I put The Women on my hold list. I was around #1124. Tomorrow, I will drop under 700; I'm 703 now. It sounds like this book is worth the wait!

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Old 04-08-24, 10:31 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

WOW ... need to update

I've read:

The Spy Coast by Tess Gerritsen

Book #2 from Cork O'Connor mysteries: Boundary Waters (by William Kent Krueger)

The Clockmaker's Daugher by Kate Morton

Book #3 from Cork O'Connor mysteries: Purgatory Ridge (by William Kent Krueger)

Imagine my surprise when I realized the list I had typed out for the Cork O'Connor series was NOT correct. I only had 10 books (and not even in the right order), so I went back and listed them all. There are 19. I am now reading book #4. I am thoroughly enjoying them and (even though they are small print), they move along very quickly.

I also enjoyed the other 2 books. Both moved along quickly.

Cleda
Old 04-08-24, 08:28 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Recently, I've been trying new-to-me authors. There have been a number of books I just couldn't get into, but there also have been some gems.

Carolina Moonset by Matt Goldman - A realistic family story meets multiple layers of mystery meets a southern drama with completely believable characters. This book was a delightful surprise to me.

I Am Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter by Erika Sanchez - This book drew me in and then bogged down about 1/3 of the way in for me.

The Paris Architect by Charles Belfoure - This was a really well written book set in Paris during WWII. I thought it was good, but then quit about half way through. Wartime in Paris under the Nazis in this book just got depressing for me.

The Bitter Taste of Murder by Camilla Trinchieri - I love, love, love this mystery series set in Tuscany. The mysteries are interesting. I love the characters AND the setting. And, whenever I read these books, the descriptions of the food are just as part of the story as the mystery. This is the second book in the series.

The Jane Austen Society by Natalie Jenner - I am not into Jane Austen's books, but enjoyed this historical novel about a group of people in a village in which she lived trying to save her legacy.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 04-08-24, 09:21 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
The Jane Austen Society by Natalie Jenner - I am not into Jane Austen's books, but enjoyed this historical novel about a group of people in a village in which she lived trying to save her legacy.
Laura, I read that in the past year or two; I thought it was a cute little book.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
Old 04-08-24, 09:49 PM  
Trixoo
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post

Laura and Beth -

This is actually a series! The second book is Bloomsbury Girls and the third, which comes out this month, is called Every Time We Say Goodbye. I enjoyed Bloomsbury Girls even more than the first book and am looking forward to the next!
Old 04-09-24, 07:58 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixoo View Post
Laura and Beth -

This is actually a series! The second book is Bloomsbury Girls and the third, which comes out this month, is called Every Time We Say Goodbye. I enjoyed Bloomsbury Girls even more than the first book and am looking forward to the next!
Are they all about Austen? If it's a trilogy I might consider...but I also try to avoid getting embroiled in new series, LOL!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
Old 04-09-24, 12:47 PM  
Trixoo
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Are they all about Austen? If it's a trilogy I might consider...but I also try to avoid getting embroiled in new series, LOL!
I read it too long ago to remember a lot about it, but it was more about some of the characters and how their lives developed after the first book. A lot of it takes place in a bookstore. :-) I think it could be read as a stand alone, so it’s not that type of series.

Speaking of series, I like them, unless each books ends on a cliff hanger. In that case, I feel it should be disclosed on the cover so that you know going in that you’re committed to X number of books! Too many times, I’ve read on a book (usually in a recommendation) only to find that I have to read several more just to find out what happens. The above series is the kind I like: each is a standalone, but characters weave in and out and grow and change, so it’s enjoyable to get to spend more time with them if you want.
Old 04-09-24, 06:31 PM  
TracyQ

I finished Cutting for Stone. Wow was it good.

I’m reading The Poisonwood Bible.I attempted this one when it was released in 1998 or 1999 and didn’t like it. I never finished it. A quarter of a century later I’m enjoying it .

Cellulite is not a character defect.
Old 04-09-24, 08:06 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixoo View Post
I read it too long ago to remember a lot about it, but it was more about some of the characters and how their lives developed after the first book. A lot of it takes place in a bookstore. :-) I think it could be read as a stand alone, so it’s not that type of series.
That's good to know. I have the other books on my wish list at the library, but thought they were stand-alone books. I'm glad I read them in order though, accidental as it was.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, off topic, off-topic, reading, spring reading