Originally Posted by Paine View Post
I just started reading:

How Not to Age: The Scientific Approach to Getting Healthier as You Get Older
by Michael Greger M.D.

I finished reading:

The Last Time I Lied by Riley Sager

Watch Me: A Memoir by Anjelica Huston

Just My Type by Falon Ballard
I have a love/hate relationship with Riley Sager. I really liked Lock Every Door and Home Before Dark, but The House Across the Lake was terrible and Survive the Night was THE WORST!
Old 12-10-23, 12:15 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by red1013 View Post
I have a love/hate relationship with Riley Sager. I really liked Lock Every Door and Home Before Dark, but The House Across the Lake was terrible and Survive the Night was THE WORST!
I agree with you about The House Across the Lake--I didn't like that book either. I have read 4 books by Riley Sager and the only one I liked was The Only One Left. I haven't read Survive the Night but I'll be sure to avoid that one after what you said, LOL!
Old 12-10-23, 03:16 PM  
Sissy B

Quote:
Originally Posted by red1013 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paine View Post
I agree with you about The House Across the Lake--I didn't like that book either. I have read 4 books by Riley Sager and the only one I liked was The Only One Left. I haven't read Survive the Night but I'll be sure to avoid that one after what you said, LOL!
I’ve read all of Riley Sager’s books and my favorites are Final Girls and The Only One Left. I actually liked Survive the Night better than The House Across the Lake.
Old 12-10-23, 04:06 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I finished Resurrection Walk by Michael Connolley and really enjoyed it. I usually don't like the Lincoln Lawyer books as much as the Bosch books, but Bosch was a major character in this one, so I thought it was better than average.

I gave up on The Affair of Spies by Ronald Balson. I usually like his books, but there was just too much talking, even in locations where it would have gotten them killed, and too many decisions at which I rolled my eyes.

I'm reading The Last Checkmate by Gabriella Saab. It's not a pleasant read (most books set in Auchwitz aren't), but I can't put it down so far. I'll see if that continues.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Old 12-10-23, 06:20 PM  
gigi

My book club just read, By Her Own Design. I listened to it on audible during my commute to and from work.It was a really great book! Our next book is Devil in the White City,which I'm really looking forward to.
Old 12-19-23, 11:15 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

I just finished The Serial Killer’s Wife by Alice Hunter. It was a quick read with short chapters that alternated points of view between the wife, husband, and a third person. I kind of guessed a part of the big twist but not how much planning went in to it.

Paramount+ UK & Ireland made a short miniseries out of it. Unfortunately it’s not available to the US Paramount+ subscribers. I hope they add it later.
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Old 12-19-23, 12:05 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Right now I'm reading:

My Name Is Barbra by Barbra Streisand

and

By Her Own Design by Piper Huguley

I finished reading:

The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides
Old 12-19-23, 01:32 PM  
Schnauzeritis

I reached my goal of reading 55 books this year! I'm currently on my 61st book of the year.

Here are a few of the last books I read.

The Paris Wife by Paula McLain - eye opening. Lots of googling for this one. I would recommend. My opinion of Ernest Hemmingway has changed after reading this.

Homecoming by Kate Morton - this was my favorite read of the year! Loved it. Highly recommend.

We Are The Light - School shooting. Horrible subject. Awesome book. Made me cry. I would recommend.

Hang The Moon by Jeannette Walls - was not what I expected. Well written but I don't care about moonshine. The cover had me thinking this would be a murder mystery.

The Audrey Hepburn Estate - Loved the Long Island setting.

Stone Cold Fox by Rachel Koller Croft - Good one. Page turner.

How To Sell A Haunted House by Grady Hendrix - very good. Would recommend to horror fans.

A Fall of Marigolds by Susan Meissner - enjoyed this Historical Fiction novel.

The September House by Carissa Orlando - soooooo awesome! Loved it. This is considered a horror novel but I think it is so much more.

Happy reading everyone!!
Old 12-19-23, 02:55 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Don't Back Down by Sharon Sala - So far, this has been a good book. It's a romantic thriller book.

The Taster by V.S. Andrews - So far, I'm enjoying this book. It's about a young woman who stumbles into a job tasting the food cooked for Hitler.

Christmas at Shelter Inn by RaeAnne Thayne - This was pretty formulaic, pleasant and totally predictable. Sort of like a Hallmark movie in a book.

The Last Checkmate - I gave up on this one. It was well written and so very grim. I just wasn't in the mood for it.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Old 12-19-23, 03:34 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnauzeritis View Post
Homecoming by Kate Morton - this was my favorite read of the year! Loved it. Highly recommend.
I have a Kate Morton book in my TBR - I can't remember if it's this one or another.

I'm reading Lianne Moriarity's What Alice Forget. I'm finding it very thought-provoking; it makes me think about what flashing back to 10 years ago in my life would be like. I'm not crazy about the format of having excerpts from the sister's journal and the grandmother's letters throughout, but overall I like the book.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, off topic, off-topic, reading, winter reading