Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Questions about using this Forum software > VF and Forum software FAQs
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 04-30-02, 10:53 PM  
MsChana
VF Supporter

Re: LURVE etymology

Quote:
Originally posted by Elizabeth Stein
Since "lurve" seems to be causing a bit of controversy, I thought I'd throw this into the mix in case everyone was wondering.... I'm not sure this is right, since it dates to before my time, but I believe I saw it explained at some point and I find it highly amusing.... I believe "lurve" came from Annie Hall (some Woody Allen movie, I think it was Annie Hall) where he was trying to come up with some other word other than "love" to express his love because the usual l-word just couldn't contain his expansive love. Hence, LLLUUURRRRVVVE. At any rate, I've seen the film in question, but how that found its way to VF I haven't a clue.
From the "Annie Hall" screenplay:

ANNIE: Come on. (laughing ) Yeah. You know what? You know, I like you, I really mean it. I really do like you.

ALVY: You-- Do you love me?

ANNIE: Do I love you?

ALVY: That's the key question.

ANNIE: Yeah.

ALVY: I know you've only known me a short while.

ANNIE: Well, I certainly . . . I think that's very-- Yeah, yeah . . . (laughing ) yeah. Do you love me?

ALVY: I--uh, love is, uh, is too weak a word for what --

ANNIE: Yeah

ALVY: --I . . . I lerve you. (over annie's laughter) You know I lo-ove you, I-I loff you. (over annie's laughter) There are two fs. I-I have to invent-- Of course I love you.

ANNIE: Yeah

ALVY (putting his arms around her neck) Don't you think I do?

ANNIE: I dunno.

They kiss as a foghorn sounds in the distance.

My Woody Allen professor and I were actually having this discussion about how I'm Alvy and DH is Annie.

I was really surprised the first time I saw someone use that word on VF!
Old 04-30-02, 10:53 PM  
hch
VF Supporter

Elizabeth Stein, your explanation is the same I've seen; I don't think I've seen any explanation of it that doesn't go back to Annie Hall instead of some other source (that is, that Woody Allen got it from something before that). I admit that I don't like "lurve" either--I suppose it could be a reaction to the source (even just read, the "love" wordplay annoys me, for some reason). It's not a reaction against VF or you VFers, whom I lu--love. (No, I don't know how it got to VF. )

Quote:
Originally posted by planimal
This may have come from somewhere else, but what about DOMS?
Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. It doesn't come from VF either, unless there's something I don't know about.
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
Old 04-30-02, 11:10 PM  
Pilar
VF Supporter

Re: Remember the word SLUG?

Quote:
Originally posted by Sue B
It's from VF's early days, but I totally forgot what it stands for. Can someone refresh my memory?
Sue,

I have used this term (lower-case slug) for years (pre-VF) to describe myself or someone else as lazy, slow, and useless, but someone here at VF broke SLUG down as "sick, lazy, unmotivated gal/guy." I think. I may have the "sick" wrong. Maybe it is "slumping?" Where's Melissa C.? She was at the origin of so much of our lexicon...

Pilar

Later edit: I think it is "SUDDENLY lazy, unmotivated gal/guy," which is why it was used to explain slumps. So it is an acute problem in this case, rather than a chronic one. My use of "slug" is for the chronic cases.
Old 05-01-02, 02:00 AM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

How could I forget BWB?

Since I am, after all, (we never DID have any elections so I am self-appointed for life) High Priestess.

Apply here for membership.

And how could I have also forgotten
Nipple Boy--I can't remember his name, the guy who narrates FIRM 5-day abs.

AND

Mr. Yummy Pants--one of the male yoga instructors, either Rodney Yee OR Bryan Kest? Don't have any of the tapes, but I'm sure the yoginis will clear up this mystery right away.

Also--does anybody else remember a discussion from early days about exercising on carpet--minimizing torsion on your knees while doing turns and pivots by putting down a plastic tablecloth and then nylon knee-highs over your shoes to make things easier.

I SWEAR this took place, a recent "exercising on carpet" thread reminded me of it.

Keep 'em coming.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Old 05-01-02, 06:00 AM  
Dawn
VF Supporter

This one has me stumped and right now I can't find it so I'm trying to remember exactly what it was....something like YMMV???? I've seen it before on some of the check-ins and challenges.

Dawn H.
Old 05-01-02, 06:02 AM  
PamelaP

Quote:
Originally posted by Dawn
This one has me stumped and right now I can't find it so I'm trying to remember exactly what it was....something like YMMV???? I've seen it before on some of the check-ins and challenges.
YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary. Of 'net origin, rather than VF-specific.
Old 05-01-02, 06:07 AM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Re: How could I forget BWB?

Quote:
Originally posted by Jennifer R
Since I am, after all, (we never DID have any elections so I am self-appointed for life) High Priestess.

Apply here for membership.

And how could I have also forgotten

AND

Mr. Yummy Pants--one of the male yoga instructors, either Rodney Yee OR Bryan Kest? Don't have any of the tapes, but I'm sure the yoginis will clear up this mystery right away.

Nipple Boy aka Stud Boy.

Mr. Yummy Pants is Mr. Kest.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
Old 05-01-02, 06:10 AM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Re: A work in progress: The VF Lexicon?

Quote:
Vidiot--an individual who proudly acquires, organizes, talks about, dreams about, and works out to fitness videos.

[
I associate Vidiot with the 1994 Wim Wenders film Lisbon Story (I've seen it many times and even have a VHS copy) -- but have no idea if that's how it came to VF.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
Old 05-01-02, 06:58 AM  
SuzanneM
VF Supporter

Squirrel arm definition

Skinny arms that refuse to put on muscle. I got 'em.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Old 05-01-02, 07:46 AM  
Motivatedbusymo
VF Supporter

Re: How could I forget BWB?

Quote:
I believe it's Tracy (sp??) James you are referring to...