Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Questions about using this Forum software > VF and Forum software FAQs
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 01-04-02, 08:20 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

What stands out in my mind

Without question, what stands out in my mind is the amazing kindness, encouragement and support that people here have shown me and others in times of crisis and need. In the past 2 years that I've been participating in this forum, I've been consistently reminded of the goodness that is in people everywhere. It is so wonderful the way we stand by one another and cheer and congratulate one another for our successes and triumphs.

More specifically, I remember starting out at the forum with all kinds of "trolls", a few of whom came after me, but it ended up with a great thread about VFers with multiple careers, and new friendships were born. Then of course, the whole imposter situation was a sad event, but it does make me laugh when I remember some of the things like, running like a gazelle with purple nailpolish, the photos with heads and bodies that didn't match and the incredible chance meeting in NYC between 2 imposters. :rolleyes:

I remember some great threads like the Survivor thread, best excuses not to workout, butty putty.

The best is meeting all the other VFers at various road trips, including Cathe's in 2000, DCAC in 2000, and ECA in NYC in 2000 and 2001, plus our get-togethers here in the NY area, and I've also had the pleasure of meeting some VFers who live nearby.

Kudos to WWWendy for creating and developing such an amazing place for vidiots.
Old 01-04-02, 09:41 PM  
Joanna
VF Supporter

Paulagate was the first thing that came to mind when I saw this thread :-) But I have fond memories as well about meeting several VFers in real life (Cin, Monse, Anne, Jane and everyone from Canfitpro, Karen N, Abbe, Barbara) and meeting Christi twice (so far. If she comes back for Canfitpro next year, I'll see her again). Cinnamon definately deserves a hand for arranging our Canfitpro passes two years in a row.

I think the single most memorable thing that ever happened at VF was the response to September 11, which was incredibly moving to witness. This group banded together like no on-line group I am involved with. Within an hour, people were posting lists of Vfers known to be in New York, and people would update the list as they heard from people they personally knew. A few people even dug out phone numbers from past VF get-togethers and started calling up people. This went above and beyond the "please check in if you are alright" stuff that went on at my other on-line lists. This was truly people reaching out to other people. I don't know too many of the NYC Vfers, but I did meet Abbe over the summer, and she was the first person I thought of once we had heard from my stepbrother in NYC and knew that he was alright. Abbe was the last person to check in that day, and the only one with less than happy news. That was the moment where what happened finally caught up to me after a day of viewing the surreal television images.

:-) Joanna
Old 01-04-02, 10:28 PM  
KayB
VF Supporter

Karen N about Chrissy

Chrissy is a live & well when last we emailed. Don't think I've heard from her during the holidays though. I'll double check & see if I get a response.
Old 01-04-02, 10:30 PM  
Lisa TV
VF Supporter

Memorable Threads

The one that immediately comes to mind is Claire M's attending an "extra special" Las Vegas ashtanga class. Not everybody gets profanity directed at them when they visit another studio! ROFL!

Lisa TV
Old 01-04-02, 11:21 PM  
peggy h
VF Supporter

Speaking of memorable threads....

Anyone else remember the "What kind of underwear do you use when working out" thread which ended up dichotomizing posters into the "What underwear?" group and the shocked group!
Old 01-05-02, 12:34 AM  
Rainy L.
VF Supporter

What a Nice Thread!

VF Memories:

When I firsted started hooking up names with who people were, the first ones I knew were Clare (who told me not to swear in posts. But in a nice way.), Susan P. (who sent me some tapes that I couldn't get in my area, just because she's so nice!).

I remember feeling so left out by a group of VFers who seemed like such good friends--very clique-ish. Until I found out that they were all the same person!

Being amazed that someone would send me great barbell clips for my homemade huckleberry jam. (Karen, I still use the clips, and I got all tear-y that you would remember the jam!)

Running all over the house, giggling like a mad woman, and pulling books off the shelves to bastardize them well into the night as Joan and I tried to top one another in the original Butt-y Putty thread. (I hope that those "Threads of the Weeks" were saved somewhere.)

Support and information when I hurt my wrists--especially from Karen Jo.

The huge disappointment when I couldn't go on the Kari trip.

Thank you, WWWendy, for creating this site. Thank you, VFers, for making this such a great place.

((((big hugs all around))))

Do 5 good Kegels right now!
Old 01-05-02, 12:43 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Fond Memories

1. Finding VF and being amazed that there were so many other people who worked out at home - that I could talk to!!!

2. Being quoted by the Firm in Fitness Magazine and then on the cross-trainers (well, almost accurately from some reviews I did).

3. Attending the Firm Mall Tour in 2/97 in Washington, DC and meeting WWWendy and some others - as well as Tracie Long.

4. Finally going on a Cathe trip after having organized two Firm trips and almost one whole Cathe trip and chickening out of all three of those.

5. Watching Christi Taylor film her videos two years in a row.

6. Going to Midwest Mania last year and having dinner with Jay Blahnik, Christi Taylor and Helen Vanderburg.

All these things were the result of Video Fitness.

And I remember way, way back when Wendy needed financial support for VF and a lot of we old-timers sent checks. That was my first inkling of the true friendship and bond that we have at VF.

Mostly, and I've said this to some of you before, some of the very best friends I have in my life are people from VF. I'm so thankful for meeting all of you on various trips. You've all really enriched my life!!!

(Well, and of course finding out that my dear, beloved cyber- trainer was nothing but a fake!)
Old 01-05-02, 02:15 AM  
Celia M

My first thought was Paula-gate. Though a little shocking, I still find it amusing (if a bit pathetic) that someone would go to that much trouble to perpetrate a ruse on us VFers.

The real best part of VF is the VF get togethers. I've met wonderful people, in person and on line. If you'd asked me five years ago if I'd be travelling 100 miles, let alone 2000 miles, to get together with people I met over the internet, I tell you that's insane. But now, I've done all that! And more amazing, every single person I've met has been a normal human being. You always hear about the wackos on the Internet. If they're at VF, I sure haven't met them.

Mostly everyone is incredibly supportive and generous, and if there's a subject that gets sticky, everyone seems to take it in the best light and discuss the issue constructively, without getting personal.

Oh, yeah - and there's the kitties. Thanks for putting up with mine!
Old 01-05-02, 05:59 AM  
Maryan, Paris
VF Supporter

Memories, memories

- I feel very grateful to all the VFers who accepted to exchange videos with me even though I live in France or even gave me videos (thank you Susan p, Sharon, and ... and ...). I now have a great video collection ! I also have a pattern/plan for making a tall box (my husband still hasn't made it though !), great paperbacks (thanks Sharon !), and my mom had a rare sewing machine manual (thank you Kay !) !

- I'll never forget meeting SharonNYC and hubby when they came to Paris (and falling in love with photographs of Weegee the Magnificent, their housecat, I should say house master ?!). It was my first VF get-together.

- Paulagate : I remember several of the personas (who were all the same person as we found out later). I always had doubts about the brain surgeon personnage but never said anything. I was totally fooled by the fake person who claimed to have lost 100 pounds with the fake trainer, though ! Crazy !

- A frustrated cat-lover (my husband refuses to have one), I am crazy about all the cat pictures and stories that VFers post. I want more ! I like dogs as well (Hi Barney !)

- One thing I miss are the OT threads, they gave more life and warmth and a sense of togetherness to the Forum, but I guess I am in the minority there. I also miss people like Jane P. who do not post anymore.
Old 01-05-02, 08:30 AM  
Pilar
VF Supporter

I could go on and on...

The biggest thing that strikes me after five years is watching people just kind of get into the VF groove. This site and its participants are very dynamic, both in activity and in personality. Some of our favorite moderators used to be so combative, some who are now studs were rank beginners (to exercise and videos), some who were studs are now dealing with complicated lives/jobs/injuries that have them looking for other workout options, and some of the most interesting posters used to comment about the clique-ish nature of VF. Seasons change, though....and we all just go along. I read and post a fraction of what I used to, but I still love it here. Nothing else comes close to VF, no matter what.

Pilar

Tags
vf history