Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 03-06-23, 07:43 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

When I restart (which I've done a lot) I generally go with the Firm guidelines of 3,5 and 8 lb dumbells, and then add in 10s and 12s a couple weeks later. Then I continue to add more over time. For small muscles groups I continue using 5 and 8 lbs.
Old 03-06-23, 09:32 AM  
donnamp

Going off on a slight tangent w/ Kaleigh.

I have looked at her cycling workouts before but we have a recumbent bike - do you think I can modify with that?

TBH, I'd like to get rid of the recumbent and get an upright bike, so you think I could do her workouts using a bike like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Exerpeutic-Fo...s%2C269&sr=8-3

B/c I don't want to spend a ton of money unless I know it is something I will enjoy/stick with.

I'm inspired to give her a try - even if I just did her one "live" full body workout a week it would be something.

Donna
Old 03-06-23, 09:40 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post

I have looked at her cycling workouts before but we have a recumbent bike - do you think I can modify with that?

TBH, I'd like to get rid of the recumbent and get an upright bike, so you think I could do her workouts using a bike like this:

B/c I don't want to spend a ton of money unless I know it is something I will enjoy/stick with.

I'm inspired to give her a try - even if I just did her one "live" full body workout a week it would be something.

Donna
I've been using her cycling and strength workouts for a long time. I do think you can modify her cycling workouts with an upright bike - just increasing tension for the climbs but she does do a lot of climbs. I know she has some seated only workouts but most you'd have to modify. Would you consider getting an inexpensive spin bike? I've had good luck with my Sunny spin bike.

Erica
Old 03-06-23, 09:44 AM  
donnamp

Erica - Thanks for replying! I hope you are doing well! How much is the Sunny Spin Bike? I would definitely consider it - we got the recumbent for DH, but he never uses it and I don't either...we have had it for a LONG time and I think it is time for it to go and make room for something else.

Donna
Old 03-06-23, 10:35 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Hi Nelly! I’ve been a personal trainer for years, and have worked with all ages. The amount of weight people use varies from person to person based on ability and goals. The amount of weight one person uses will also vary as fitness abilities and goals change.

Most people want to build and maintain strength. In that case, the amount of weight one uses for each exercise will gradually need to increase in order to continue building strength. There is usually a point where weight will level off once someone has reached a high level of strength, and at that point, it helps to vary reps and types of workouts. You have to keep surprising the muscles for them to change.

I do my own weight workouts using machines and free weights. I go heavy once or twice a week, and I do endurance training once a week, where I lower the weight amount and do higher reps. When I use videos, I usually do Cathe’s. For endurance, I like Les Mills Bodypump.

To me, in general, heavy weight is weight used on an exercise that brings the muscles to fatigue (not able to do another rep) in 8-10 reps.
Old 03-06-23, 10:42 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Erica - Thanks for replying! I hope you are doing well! How much is the Sunny Spin Bike? I would definitely consider it - we got the recumbent for DH, but he never uses it and I don't either...we have had it for a LONG time and I think it is time for it to go and make room for something else.

Donna
This is the one I have but I got it when it was much less. https://www.amazon.com/Sunny-Spin-Bi...NsaWNrPXRydWU= I actually bought a second one for a back-up when it had a big price drop so now I have two. I've been very happy with it other than the pedals eventually broke but they were inexpensive to replace and I do put a lot of miles on the bike. Oh, and I needed a gel cover for the seat but I had that from my last spin bike. Sometimes the flywheel will squeak a bit but DH just lubricates it and it's fine. I do use it a lot - probably 8 hours a week.

Here's one that costs less but I don't know anything about it:
https://www.amazon.com/Sunny-Health-...36&sr=8-4&th=1

Erica
Old 03-06-23, 12:35 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:

Donna
Definitely give it a try, especially her all-seated rides! I know from the comments that many people use her rides on non-spin, exercise bikes!
Old 03-06-23, 02:03 PM  
warriorprincess

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
Hi Nancy - very inspirational. for heavy workouts, how many reps and how many sets? i don't have meso 3, so I was curious.

in your chart for AWT, you're saying you bench press 25#. Is that 25 per dumbbell or 12.5/dumbbell?

for myself, if I'm in a gym, i can bench the 45# bar without plates and i can do up to 4-5 reps, and just 1 set. at home, i can bench a total of 25# (10# dumbbells in each hand, and up to 3 sets of 10 reps.

my muscles respond very well to high reps /low weight. i rarely go to the gym.
I can press two 25 lb dumbbells for a lot of reps. I feel like I'm pretty strong. I've been pushing it for a lot of years, and I keep getting stronger. But I can remember the first time I was able to hoist the 25's into position. It was a big victory!

For the heaviest weights, I do around 5 reps. But I usually start with a couple of 8-9 rep sets building up to that with increasing weights to make sure I'm ready. And then maybe 3 sets of 5.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
Old 03-06-23, 02:14 PM  
warriorprincess

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
warriorprincess, awesome weights and great attitude! I so agree with your comment that you won’t accept limits as long as your joints allow!
Thanks! Keeping the joints happy is the hardest part! It's a balancing act.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
Old 03-07-23, 10:28 AM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

This is a great thread. I am 53 and have discovered that heavier weights work best for me. I have recently been getting heavier dumbbells. My previous heaviest were 12 lbs but I have now obtained 15 and 20 lb dumbbells as well. High rep low weight workouts are fun and I still do them but if I want to "feel" stronger, heavier is better for me.

Tags
caroline girvan, dumbbell size, egg weights, kaleigh cohen, miriam nelson, results, strength training, weight lifting, weights