Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Recipe Box
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 11-11-09, 05:12 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowgirl32 View Post
It's actually more prevalent than you would think. I've only read on raw food book by Alissa Cohen, and aside from nuts(which the calories add up so fast), the only other source of decent protein is from grains which I am very sensitive to(even supposedly gluten free grains where the wheat protein has been removed). Lastly, dairy free/gluten free products are sky high in carbs in calories.
Green leafy vegetables, broccoli, buckwheat (a seed that is gluten free), and hemp seeds are good protein sources. Goji berries are pretty high in protein as well.

Alissa Cohen is one of the raw-food instructors who does tend to be heavy on nuts and fats.

(I'm not sure what "it" you are refering to: dairy in raw diets? If you've only read one raw book, what basis are you making that observation on? As one of my students says ---OFTEN--"I'm confused," LOL!)

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Old 11-11-09, 05:18 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah-lara View Post
I recommend everyone try doing it at least temporarily, just to let it open up a whole new batch of recipes you'd probably never see otherwise.
ITA!

I've learned about making various types of 'pasta' from veggies (zucchini, but also daikon radish, rutabagas--or was it turnips? whichever ones are round and white---yams: all of which I find many times more nutritious than grain pasta), different dehydrating tricks (making 'refried beans' out of marinated and semi-dehydrated veggies, making wraps out of zucchini and flax, and pizza crusts and bread out of sprouted buckwheat and zucchini), making my own nut milks and 'cheeses', how to whip up a raw soup in 5 minutes, germinating raw nuts to improve their nutritional profile and make them more digestible.

Old 11-11-09, 10:52 PM  
rubyspirit
VF Supporter

Ooty, here's another restaurant suggestion on E. 6th in Manhattan. Its been open 18 years. They serve both raw and cooked vegan items.

Caravan of Dreams

http://caravanofdreams.net/
Old 11-13-09, 07:43 AM  
jlar

Could you raw foodies or vegans give an examply of a typically day's meals?

jlar
Old 11-13-09, 10:21 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlar View Post

jlar
Those are two different things , but here goes:

Raw food day:
Morning: 1 quart green smoothie (sometimes this keeps me full through lunch as well).

OR buckwheat cereal (sprouted and dehydrated raw buckwheat groats) with nut milk and fruits.

Lunch: salad + prepared raw meal, often using things prepared in the dehydrator (raw 'tacos', spaghetti using zucchini or daikon 'noodles', nut pâté wrapped in romaine leaves with other veggies, collard wraps, a raw burger). I sometimes have a piece of fruit about 20 minutes before lunch (not after, as fruit digests more quickly than other foods, and following a slower-digesting food with a faster-digesting food can cause fermentation and gas).

OR : 1/2 or 1 avocado with sprikle of kelp or dulse flakes + salad

Dinner: raw soup or another green smoothie or a large salad or another prepared meal

Snacks: fruit, nuts (raw nuts soaked and dried), crackers with spread
veggies with dip (nut dip or zucchini hummus), raw granola

Non-raw vegan day:
Breakfast:
Cooked grains (quinoa, amaranth, oat groats) with non-dairy milk, sweetener and fruits and chopped nuts.

OR: large fruit salad (in summer)

OR: smoothie

Lunch: wrap using whole sprouted grain tortilla with hummus and veggies and salad or soup

or tempeh mock 'chicken-or-the-egg salad and large salad

or lentil soup and steamed or baked yam + crudités (veggie sticks)

or any other prepared vegan meal + salad

Dinner: same type of things as lunch

Snacks: same as raw day

There are many ways to eat vegan, this is just what I used to do (before eating mostly raw).

Old 11-13-09, 01:45 PM  
WWWendy
Community Manager

just a reminder

While it's OK to ask for and to suggest great raw food recipes, recommend cookbooks, and that sort of thing, discussion of the benefits or specific guidelines of a particular diet would go beyond our "no diet talk" rules. Feel free to discuss it privately by email or pm, though. Thanks!

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Old 11-13-09, 11:09 PM  
RedPanda

Should a buy a dehydrator?

Hmm... these posts have me thinking again about buying a dehydrator. I have read up on them and the best model seems to be the Excalibur. They are pricey here - about $AU400-500 including the fee for adapting them for Australian electrical currency.

I started thinking about buying one when I read The Complete Idiots Guide to Eating Raw which has some yummy-sounding granola recipes, in which buckwheat groats and other whole grains are soaked overnight, then dehydrated.

Kathryn's idea of sprouting and dehydrating raw buckwheat groats sounds good too.

Is it true that soaked whole grains and nuts are easier to digest?

There's no way I'd become a full-on vegan or raw foodist, but I have enjoyed experimenting with different foods.

Mr RedPanda baulked at the idea of buying a dehydrator because (apart from the expense) he does all the cooking and he's nervous that there will be a steep learning curve.

So my questions are:

* What other uses do you guys have for dehydrators?

* Is it hard to get the hang of using one?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-13-09, 11:39 PM  
rubyspirit
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlar View Post

jlar
I'll PM you.
Old 11-13-09, 11:46 PM  
rubyspirit
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
<snip!>

So my questions are:

* What other uses do you guys have for dehydrators?

* Is it hard to get the hang of using one?

Thanks in advance!

I make onion bread, crackers, cookies, kale chips, and nut burgers. After nuts are soaked, they are dried for storing, in the fridge. I usually do all foods at one time. You will learn to master when to prepare so items are ready when you want to eat them.

It is mega easy to learn to use them. Be sure to buy both latex and mesh sheets.

I have a Nesco. It is very economical and works great!
Old 11-14-09, 01:34 AM  
RedPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyspirit View Post
I make onion bread, crackers, cookies, kale chips, and nut burgers. After nuts are soaked, they are dried for storing, in the fridge. I usually do all foods at one time. You will learn to master when to prepare so items are ready when you want to eat them.

It is mega easy to learn to use them. Be sure to buy both latex and mesh sheets.
Hmm... sounds better and better. Maybe the dehydrator will make it back onto my wish list.

We don't have kale in Australia, but I could make carrot and beetroot (beet) chips. The ones you can buy here are full of oil.

Tags
nutritional yeast, raw food, vegan