Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 05-26-11, 07:56 PM  
met fan

Unbroken is a great book! I just finished reading "They Shoot Horses, don't They? A classic. Now I am into Lizzie Borden. I am reading "Lizzie Borden, the Legend, the Truth, The Final Chapter. I can't decide if she was guilty or not. Lizzie Border took an axe, gave her mother 40 wacks, when she saw what she had done, she gave her father 41. I am into ghosts and supernatural. I plan on staying at Lizzies house this summer with my daughter. They say it is haunted.
Old 05-26-11, 08:01 PM  
Judy W.

I just picked up some books by Daphne du Maurier (Rebecca). I got "My Cousin Rachel", "Marianne" and "Jamaica Inn", which I'm reading now. Classic gothic suspense!
Old 05-26-11, 08:18 PM  
chemicalemma

I'm watching Game of Thrones right now, so I'm using that as an excuse to reread George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire books. Other than that, I have literally hundreds of books sitting on shelves begging to be read and reread, so I have no idea what will come after that. Possibly more fantasy. I have Jennifer Fallon's Tide Lords books, and Lois McMaster Bujold's Sharing Knife series waiting for me to finish them off.
Old 05-26-11, 08:21 PM  
shelleyann

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Laura, I read books about women who knit and quilt, and I don't do either one. I just find the stories interesting. Have you read Kate Jacobs series?

Sherry
I think we have the same taste in books. I read all of Kate Jacobs and am finishing up the Blossom Street series by Debbie Macomber, but also have her new one. Next is a Francine Rivers series.

Exercise should enhance your life! It should make you feel good & be fun, not drudgery or a beating.

"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive-to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." Marcus Aurelius
Old 05-26-11, 08:27 PM  
Helen

My last novel was Nineteen Eighty-Four, then enthusiastically ploughed through The Lexicographer's Dilemma. Non-fiction about the history of English with particular focus on whether being able to say any kind of usage is right or not and the dilemma for authors of dictionaries about declaring a word to be slang, colloquial, redundant, archaic, English/foreign, etc. Loved it!

Just started Chekov's The Shooting Party - not read enough yet to form an opinion.
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Old 05-26-11, 08:34 PM  
DonnaMarie

Quote:
Originally Posted by met fan View Post
Unbroken is a great book! I just finished reading "They Shoot Horses, don't They? A classic. Now I am into Lizzie Borden. I am reading "Lizzie Borden, the Legend, the Truth, The Final Chapter. I can't decide if she was guilty or not. Lizzie Border took an axe, gave her mother 40 wacks, when she saw what she had done, she gave her father 41. I am into ghosts and supernatural. I plan on staying at Lizzies house this summer with my daughter. They say it is haunted.
Please PM me after you stay there... I am very interested in this subject as well.
Old 05-26-11, 08:42 PM  
sherry7899

Hi Shelley!

Have you read Marie Bostwick's series? The main character owns a quilt shop in New England. The newest book comes out next Tuesday

I also like Sheryl Woods' Chesapeake Shores series-they're like the Blossom Street series, but set on the East Coast.

Sherry
Old 05-26-11, 09:10 PM  
jaburke66

Mary Karr's memoir: Lit

One of the best books about the life of an alcoholic I've read. She's a writer, so "lit" has a poignant double meaning. Off to read it now, great thread!
Old 05-26-11, 09:11 PM  
shelleyann

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Hi Shelley!

Have you read Marie Bostwick's series? The main character owns a quilt shop in New England. The newest book comes out next Tuesday

I also like Sheryl Woods' Chesapeake Shores series-they're like the Blossom Street series, but set on the East Coast.

Sherry
Oooh! Goodie! No, I haven't heard of either. I'll go visit amazon right now...a million thanks!
Which is the first Marie Bostwick in the series?

Exercise should enhance your life! It should make you feel good & be fun, not drudgery or a beating.

"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive-to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." Marcus Aurelius
Old 05-26-11, 10:31 PM  
Wanda
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemicalemma View Post
I'm watching Game of Thrones right now, so I'm using that as an excuse to reread George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire books. Other than that, I have literally hundreds of books sitting on shelves begging to be read and reread, so I have no idea what will come after that. Possibly more fantasy. I have Jennifer Fallon's Tide Lords books, and Lois McMaster Bujold's Sharing Knife series waiting for me to finish them off.
No HBO here - how is the series? I just finished A Game of Thrones and started the second book. The characterizations are a little on the ponderous side for me (not sure if that's the word I'm looking for). The books are my first serious foray into fantasy and it's surprising how 'real' the storylines become.

Tags
summer reading