Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 12-04-01, 02:09 PM  
Cheryl

And frankly, even after 7 years, I still feel awkward sometimes. I don't have natural grace or talent, but I do have FUN! (And I'm not afraid to work hard and am very good at memorizing choreography, both of which work in my favor.) I stuck with it because my teacher and the other women in my class were all really nice and it didn't matter if you couldn't do snake arms and head slides on your very first try.

Oh, wow, I know what you mean about not having natural grace or talent! I started dancing (Cajun/Zydeco) about 5 years ago, and it was a whole year before I learned to loosen up my back! And then another year before I learned to move my hips. Then my shoulders. I very much relate to working hard to find your rhythm, and I am so envious of people that come by theirs naturally. And you're right, a supportive and safe environment makes all the difference. See, my problem now is time. Work tends to really interfere with my fun........but it helps to hear that somebody else is just as spazzy as you are!!! I really do give up too easily. I'm too impatient for my own good.....

Cheryl
Old 12-04-01, 02:20 PM  
Renee D
VF Supporter

What brought me to bellydance

You know, it was just something I was always interested in. I remember in high school a friend had dressed up as a bellydancer for Halloween (in a costume no self-respecting non-prostitute belly-dancer would wear, but what the heck did she know, she was only 16) and I thought that was so cool. She knew an Iraqi girl in school who had actually shown her some moves.

The summer between my freshman and sophomore year in college I found a beginning class through the local high school district "Adult Continuing Ed" catalog and took it. (Serena in San Diego.) I had much fun!

Unfortunately, once I was back at school I had no time, no money and no car. So no bellydance classes for me. At the time I was completely unaware of the wealth of fabulous teachers in the Bay Area.

During grad school what shows up in the mail one day? Another local high school district "Adult Continuing Ed" catalog (different part of the state.) I was still swamped with work (although now I had a car and $) and promised myself that when I finished my master's degree I would take a class. And I did! (Elena of Cupertino.)

What *kept* me with it is more important than what brought me to it, at least I think it is. It was fun, the women in the class (who later formed a troupe, Raks Jenna) were all really nice (and meeting people once you get out of school and into the workforce can be so hard!), it was good exercise, and it motivated me to exercise more so I could do more complex moves, and it got me in touch with my body in a whole new way. I learned to appreciate it for what it could do and not just what it looked like. (My own "Ah ha!" moment.) I had always loved social dancing but had never thought of myself as a dancer. It was interesting and gratifying to see this side of myself develop.

When we moved to Seattle it took me a while to find a new teacher. I tried a couple before I found the right one (Aleili of Issaquah). I knew it was the one just by watching the way women in the class related to each other. (And the teacher rocked, as well.) Moving to a new town is rough--it can be so hard to make friends. One of the women in that class has become one of my best friends. I've since left that troupe to pursue a different style (along with my friend!) My new troupe Raqs al-Hamara, http://www.kamikazecostumes.com/raqsalhamara2.html
is wonderful--we have no leader or teacher, we teach each other and collaborate on everything. (Fortunately we are very like-minded!) They are truly wonderful women.

Gosh, that was long!

Any other questions?

Let your love fly like a bird on the wing
And let your love bind you to all living things
And let your love shine
And you'll know what I mean, that's the reason
~Bellamy Brothers

Old 12-04-01, 02:27 PM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Thanks Renee. I like the story.

I've always been fascinated by dance of all kinds, but also was always way too shy to explore it. I applaud your example.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
Old 12-04-01, 03:16 PM  
jaj999
VF Supporter

Renee -

I love your picture - your troup's web site was great too. But I have to ask about your skirt - is it an LRose Designs? It looks like the style they make - they're one of my favorite vendors.

I miss west coast belly dancing - its just diferent out east. Maybe its just that I knew so many people in Ca, Or, and Wa. We probably have mutual friends (at least acquaitances).
Old 12-04-01, 04:34 PM  
Renee D
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally posted by jaj999
But I have to ask about your skirt - is it an LRose Designs? It looks like the style they make - they're one of my favorite vendors.
In fact it was! Laura pulled my butt out of the fire by doing that skirt on *really* short notice and 2 day shipping it to me right before that performance. (The belt I wore kind of *disappeared* into the skirt I had initially chosen and I needed more contrast.)

Who do you dance with?

Let your love fly like a bird on the wing
And let your love bind you to all living things
And let your love shine
And you'll know what I mean, that's the reason
~Bellamy Brothers

Old 12-04-01, 05:58 PM  
jaj999
VF Supporter

I studied for a long time with Siham in Reno, NV. She's now in Seattle, so you may have met her. I also studied a bit with Deann Adams several years ago. I do mostly cabaret style. Lots of workshops out there. Siham and I sponsored Deena from Coos Bay once - do you know her? I haven't heard from her in ages. I've danced in the Wiggles of the West contest (we won the troup segment the first year).

Email me if you want to chat more about belly dance - we seemed to have gotten off the topic of short steps.
Old 12-04-01, 09:30 PM  
nora
VF Supporter

Hey, Joanne

hang on to that Denise Austin foamy thing if you don't have a tall box for Firm style tall box stuff. Set that sucker on top of your step and it works really well - doesn't slide. I use it for that purpose all the time.