Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 05-01-20, 12:23 PM  
rhbrand

I do think a portion of people will stay.

On a couple fitness groups I belong to on Facebook have new members that either signed up for streaming (Les Mills, Peloton) or started working out at home, and some say they will cont. to workout at home.
Old 05-01-20, 11:45 PM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
my sister and i have been trading boxes of puzzles. i got 5 from a friend and in return gave her 2 homemade face masks that i sewed and a batch of oatmeal cookies!

Walmart is devoid of puzzles and board games! all i can think about are the lonely puzzles in the closed Savers thrift store.
That sounds like fun! I pass puzzles on to my niece and she works them in record time. I'm a slow, multi-tasking puzzler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerine View Post
Me too, I love puzzles! People are already trading and selling for really low prices in my area now but I'm waiting a bit longer. People seem to do them once and then trade them so I'm sure they'll come back around soon!
I'm thinking there will be plenty of used ones to choose from in the not too distant future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixoo View Post
And I’m one of those who rediscovered puzzles at the beginning of March. Fortunately I got some orders in early, but wow, it’s nuts and there’s a lot of price gouging. Very glad I found some reputable sources!
It is crazy! I was able to order some puzzles online today after reading about them on a Facebook puzzle group page.

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

“Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy.” — Author Unknown
Old 05-03-20, 05:42 AM  
acey

That is one of the very few silver linings for me here. I decided to telecommute in 2016, when I moved from NY to LA to be near my parents. So, the work-from-home stuff, no problem!

As important, I have been working OUT from home since 2000, when I picked up a Taebo tape from a bootleg vendor on the streets of NYC, and a year later discovered VF. Man, y'all, thanks for enabling my exercise video habit! LOL

And it's worked out in spades during this weird time. I sit on my butt all day long, working, have nowhere to go really afterward...but I get a workout in from one of my videos...and that is keeping me healthy and somewhat sane...and I didn't have to alter that habit whatsoever. I have the weights, the resistance bands, the everything...and that one hour of working out, even if it was a workout I don't normally like, NOW is an hour well spent beyond belief during the shelter-in-place situation.

Thank you VF. Thanks for creating a community (Wendy) so that I knew I wasn't a random freak who compulsively bought workout videos and was all alone. The compulsion to collect workout videos is not the worst compulsion I have ever had.
Old 05-03-20, 08:17 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

The WSJ put out an article about this very subject. A few fitness brands are mentioned: https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-u-s...4e90945165a451
Old 05-03-20, 11:30 AM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
The WSJ put out an article about this very subject. A few fitness brands are mentioned: https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-u-s...4e90945165a451
From the above article:

"Consumer-products giant Procter & Gamble Co., for example, knows that people aren’t only buying more Tide laundry detergent but also doing more loads of laundry because it follows digital monitors installed inside some consumers’ washing machines to show how often they run loads."

Uhh, what? Sorry, not to detract from the original thread topic. This stuff just kind of freaks me out!!
Old 05-03-20, 02:53 PM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittybug View Post
From the above article:

"Consumer-products giant Procter & Gamble Co., for example, knows that people aren’t only buying more Tide laundry detergent but also doing more loads of laundry because it follows digital monitors installed inside some consumers’ washing machines to show how often they run loads."

Uhh, what? Sorry, not to detract from the original thread topic. This stuff just kind of freaks me out!!
It makes me wonder what other things we have that are keeping track of what we do, without us realizing it.

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

“Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy.” — Author Unknown
Old 05-03-20, 07:54 PM  
Mickey12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan H View Post
It makes me wonder what other things we have that are keeping track of what we do, without us realizing it.
I wonder if they inform the consumer when buying it that it has a monitor. I mean, don’t they have to tell you something like that?

Kim
Old 05-04-20, 07:58 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Yes, I agree it's creepy! Though it doesn't sound like the consumer's name is necessarily attached to it, but I suppose they know the location of the machine.

Honestly, considering the amount of data that is being harvested from our internet usage, phones, Alexa (if you have one), etc., I kind of feel like monitoring my washing machine usage is pretty tame!
Old 05-04-20, 08:18 AM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

They can do this through smart appliances. It's a mixed bag. If you like monitoring your home's thermostat or watching your front door or turning on some appliance remotely, that's part of the price of doing / enjoying those things unfortunately.

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Old 05-04-20, 01:40 PM  
laurajhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbee View Post
They can do this through smart appliances. It's a mixed bag. If you like monitoring your home's thermostat or watching your front door or turning on some appliance remotely, that's part of the price of doing / enjoying those things unfortunately.
Bringing this (slightly) back toward the subject of fitness, I've always said I don't want smart appliances because I'm afraid the scale and the refrigerator will talk about me behind my back.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19, home workout revolution, privacy