Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 02-18-07, 01:27 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenP
The supinated grip does cause problems in the wrists for some trainees. I think Aline has this problem. Interesting that the pronated grip gives your elbows problems. I say that a neutral grip (parallel) is the one for you, Alta! Any chance you could set yourself for this?
What a great idea! I wouldn't have thought of that. We have a power rack with some parallel attachment thingy. I'll see if I can use it for parallel grip chins.

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 02-18-07, 01:35 PM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Alta, I didn't know you guys had a power rack. GREAT. If that attachment thing doesn't work for you, consider investing in some stitched runners and handles as discussed here: http://forum.videofitness.com/showpo...6&postcount=45 Those will allow you to find your perfect grip. They can be used to train push-up and reverse rows too, so Mike might enjoy them as well.

Let us know how performing chins with a neutral grip works for you.

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
Old 02-18-07, 01:40 PM  
jaj999
VF Supporter

Karen -

I've had good progress with the bands. I've gone from the big one to the medium, except for chin-ups where I'm using the smallest one. And I feel like my form is improving - I'm working more on the negative too as opposed to when I started. I'm hoping for an un-assisted chin-up by the time I finish my P90x rotation. I've been using the bands for about 7 weeks now.
Old 02-18-07, 01:55 PM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaj999
I'm hoping for an un-assisted chin-up by the time I finish my P90x rotation. I've been using the bands for about 7 weeks now.
Judy, that sounds like very good progress. How long does the rotation last?

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
Old 02-18-07, 05:48 PM  
jaj999
VF Supporter

It's a 90 day rotation - I've got 5 weeks left. I'll be really happy if I can do one unassisted chin-up. I've never been able to do one so it will be a new thing for me.
Old 02-18-07, 06:17 PM  
~^~RedFlame~^~
VF Supporter

I too am making progress. I don't think I will be working unassisted with this rotation though. I am on week 10 now, and done with both back workouts for the week. I have definitely progressed, and since anchoring my band am doing better since I am not swinging so much. I started doing one set with the pullups, and then the second set with pulldown resistance bands, to really get in there and fatigue, so I would probably progress further if I were doing all sets using pullups, but I like switching, it feels good on my back to really 'feel' those resistance bands after fatiguing with the pullups. I LOVE the Woody bands!

Proud GRADUATE of P90X!! TWICE Class 2007&2008!!
Burn Burn BUUUUURRRRRNNNN!

One's main goal in life is to give birth to oneself.
If you are not busy being born, you are busy dying!
Old 02-18-07, 07:11 PM  
killoffsonny

I'm not doing so well

had to revert back to the big band. I think I jumped ahead too soon and it was killing my shoulder (have tendinitis in rotator cuff tendon) If I can do ONE unassisted pullup in a year it will be a miracle.
Old 02-18-07, 07:58 PM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~^~RedFlame~^~
I too am making progress.
YAY!

Quote:
I started doing one set with the pullups, and then the second set with pulldown resistance bands, to really get in there and fatigue, so I would probably progress further if I were doing all sets using pullups, but I like switching, it feels good on my back to really 'feel' those resistance bands after fatiguing with the pullups. I LOVE the Woody bands!
Is there a reason you're doing assisted pull-ups (pronated grip) rather than chin-ups (supinated or neutral grip)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by killoffsonny
I think I jumped ahead too soon and it was killing my shoulder (have tendinitis in rotator cuff tendon)
How do you plan to change things so that this doesn't happen next time?

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
Old 02-18-07, 08:11 PM  
lselbach
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by killoffsonny
had to revert back to the big band. I think I jumped ahead too soon and it was killing my shoulder (have tendinitis in rotator cuff tendon) If I can do ONE unassisted pullup in a year it will be a miracle.
I have the same type of rotator cuff issues, so my goal has simply been doing the movement without shoulder pain. I'm sticking with the big band for the time being, and have no plans to "graduate" just yet. Progress with this type of injury is so unbelievably slow, and I'm happy just to be able to do some form of pullups again.
Old 02-19-07, 09:02 AM  
~^~RedFlame~^~
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lselbach
I have the same type of rotator cuff issues, so my goal has simply been doing the movement without shoulder pain. I'm sticking with the big band for the time being, and have no plans to "graduate" just yet. Progress with this type of injury is so unbelievably slow, and I'm happy just to be able to do some form of pullups again.
Good for you! So many people just don't understand how slow this healing can be and push too hard. Heck, I am a poor patient myself for that kind of thing.

Karen, I am doing both chinups and pullups, I just usually write 'pullups' to distinguish from band "pullDOWNS", but I do supinated and pronated. I am also looking into attachments that will allow parallel grip, as alta needs, to get an even different angle. I too will be ecstatic if I can eventually do even one unassisted, but even if that never happens, I finally feel that I am balancing my work better, I felt as if my back work was not up to par before, and was concerned about an imbalance.

Proud GRADUATE of P90X!! TWICE Class 2007&2008!!
Burn Burn BUUUUURRRRRNNNN!

One's main goal in life is to give birth to oneself.
If you are not busy being born, you are busy dying!

Tags
iron woody bands