Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 04-07-11, 02:00 PM  
JENILU

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
Hang in there. I quit smoking when I was 25 and it took me five years to stop craving them. The cravings should ease off eventually.
Congratulations!!!! your always an inspiration to me anyway, and conquering that makes you evenmore so.
I am waiting for the day when I can pass by a smoker and not ache to beg for one.- but i made a promise to my son, and I don't break promises to him, so he's got me there, lol.
Old 04-07-11, 02:13 PM  
TexasMama

Hi, Jenilu! I'm originally from Alabama, and I always enjoy seeing someone on the boards from there! I have a good friend with type 1 diabetes and thyroid issues, both of which run heavily in her family. She is very active. As a matter of fact, she ran a half marathon last year. She had to amp up her mileage to train for that, and she had a lot of trouble controlling her blood sugar during that time. I'm not sure if the blood sugar issues were due directly to the increase in training, but it seems to be fine now that she's gone back to her regular workout schedule. Anyway, my hats off to you for pursuing an active lifestyle in spite of your health issues. That makes you inspirational (and quitting smoking is a pretty herculean task, from what I've seen)!

A pedestrian is a man in danger of his life. A walker is a man in possession of his soul. -- David Mccord
Old 04-07-11, 02:28 PM  
JENILU

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasMama View Post
Hi, Jenilu! I'm originally from Alabama, and I always enjoy seeing someone on the boards from there! I have a good friend with type 1 diabetes and thyroid issues, both of which run heavily in her family. She is very active. As a matter of fact, she ran a half marathon last year. She had to amp up her mileage to train for that, and she had a lot of trouble controlling her blood sugar during that time. I'm not sure if the blood sugar issues were due directly to the increase in training, but it seems to be fine now that she's gone back to her regular workout schedule. Anyway, my hats off to you for pursuing an active lifestyle in spite of your health issues. That makes you inspirational (and quitting smoking is a pretty herculean task, from what I've seen)!
If she already kept the blood sugars pretty tight, any extra exercise would make it drop. That is amazing that she managed all that!!! I am terrified of low blood sugars and have let mine get really high over the years partly becouse of that. I have been cautiioned about getting under tighter control and am worried about the exercise part as a result. If your friend would possibly e-mail me about her eating and fitness regime, I would be happy to PM you my e-mail address. I am getting kinda desperate.
Thankyou for her story- and also for your kind words!!!
Old 04-07-11, 02:28 PM  
psnave

Blood sugars in the 400-600 range are extremely dangerous, Jen. They can cause a Type 1 to go into Diabetic KetoAcidosis in a very short amount of time (48 hours give or take). DKA is a very serious medical emergency. These types of numbers are dangerous for a Type 2 diabetic as well, although they will not normally suffer from DKA.

If you have numbers in this range, you need to call your doctor asap and discuss your insulin dosing.

There is a ton of confusion over Type 1 and Type 2, and it sounds like you aren't getting a lot of help from your physician, which concerns me with the numbers you posted about.

Please know that a Type 1 should also test for ketones if their blood sugars are above 250. Your doctor will advise you NOT to exercise with ketones.

Forgive me for asking...but are you certain that you are a Type 1 diabetic and not a Type 2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JENILU View Post
I am really curious. Are there any other type 1 diabteics on here- and have you been successful with the whole bloodsugars/diet/fitness/weight combo? i need personal heklp in these areas. Just a side note that I also have thyroid disease and lung/stamina problems. I want to hear in this thread about success- especially with the diabetes and exercise- but would like somebody to PM me or e-mail me if they have had success with certain types/times of eating-exercise and certain types of diet. i hope I'm making sense. I have been having a horrible time with my blood sugars due to stress. I have to do a lot of self care becouse I have to use a gov't hospital and can't see them regularly.
i just want to hear anything abouthow you deal, handle it, succeed, etc...

Thankyou!!
Jen
Old 04-07-11, 02:33 PM  
psnave

Wow Susan, that's very cool. My daughter is a T1, not a mono though (diagnosed at 10).

That is an important message. As I understand it some kids diagnosed as infants are found to be monogenic years and years later.

Anyone with a baby diagnosed should push for monogenic testing. I've heard it's quite expensive and that's why some docs avoid it and some just don't know about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan G. View Post
Can I put in a mention here for the wonderful breakthrough that could benefit those who were diagnosed with type I before six months of age. Researchers have found a small population to have monogenic diabetes, which actually can be treated with pills. One of the first recipients of this treatment is my second cousin Lilly Jaffe.

The screening is easy (they just need saliva) and U of Chicago has successfully treated adults as well as children, if they are candidates.

http://www.monogenicdiabetes.org/who-should-be-tested

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...starts-insulin
Old 04-07-11, 02:41 PM  
psnave

Jen --

There are things you can do to manage exercising. Have some G2 or Gatorade to sip on while you exercise, it will prevent dropping. If you are on an insulin pump you can turn down your insulin temporarily. Test yourself frequently to see where your numbers are at.

There's also some newer technology out (cgms) that is extremely helpful in detecting low blood sugars.

I hate to see T1's run themselves high because they fear going too low.

Quote:
If she already kept the blood sugars pretty tight, any extra exercise would make it drop. That is amazing that she managed all that!!! I am terrified of low blood sugars and have let mine get really high over the years partly becouse of that. I have been cautiioned about getting under tighter control and am worried about the exercise part as a result. If your friend would possibly e-mail me about her eating and fitness regime, I would be happy to PM you my e-mail address. I am getting kinda desperate.
Old 04-07-11, 02:43 PM  
JENILU

Quote:
Originally Posted by psnave View Post
Blood sugars in the 400-600 range are extremely dangerous, Jen. They can cause a Type 1 to go into Diabetic KetoAcidosis in a very short amount of time (48 hours give or take). DKA is a very serious medical emergency. These types of numbers are dangerous for a Type 2 diabetic as well, although they will not normally suffer from DKA.

If you have numbers in this range, you need to call your doctor asap and discuss your insulin dosing.

There is a ton of confusion over Type 1 and Type 2, and it sounds like you aren't getting a lot of help from your physician, which concerns me with the numbers you posted about.

Please know that a Type 1 should also test for ketones if their blood sugars are above 250. Your doctor will advise you NOT to exercise with ketones.

Forgive me for asking...but are you certain that you are a Type 1 diabetic and not a Type 2?
i have wondered sometimes over the years about my diagnoses, but now it is too late to go back as my body doesn't make any insulin anymore. No, my doctor isn't much help. I have to use the gov't asisted hospital. It takes 6 months to get an appointment. I did go to the ER recently for what seemed to be an allergy and my BS was artound 400 and they just sent me home. Becouse of my living situation, I have to just tryi to do what I can in self - control of the situation. My eating habits are terrible and I am trying to turn that around. I have no appetite till supper usually, and then am ravenous for that meal. I am trying ot add 1 more meal at a time. I have wondered about Jackie Warner's plan in her book, but was hoping to hear what other diabetics are doing. Grains do not agree with me very well- I've gotten to where I break out badly when i eat them.- and swell up.
A freidn was kind enough to gety me some chemstrips, and yesterday atleast I was successful at getting the bloodsugars under 200. I had to work out twice though, and hardly eat. just want a handleon it allas a whole. I've gone thru years of, i guess, pretentding i don't have these problems, so I ignore them- now, trying to get it all together is a little overwhelming, ya know? So I am hoping to hear some success and find out the magic plan.
Old 04-07-11, 02:51 PM  
TexasMama

Quote:
PM me and I'll pass it along to her.

A pedestrian is a man in danger of his life. A walker is a man in possession of his soul. -- David Mccord
Old 04-07-11, 03:09 PM  
Susan G.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by psnave View Post
Wow Susan, that's very cool. My daughter is a T1, not a mono though (diagnosed at 10).

That is an important message. As I understand it some kids diagnosed as infants are found to be monogenic years and years later.

Anyone with a baby diagnosed should push for monogenic testing. I've heard it's quite expensive and that's why some docs avoid it and some just don't know about it.
Quote:
That is wonderful!! i was diagnosed at 12, so I don't think I qualify, but thats a blessing for those who do!!
Yes, it definitely is a blessing. The diagnosis completely changed my cousin's and her parents' lives.

psnave, I don't know about the expense. I do know that U of Chicago researchers are actively building a database and I presume would be extremely interested in anyone who might be in the category. Adults in diagnosed in this time frame also should be tested.

Illinois' Lilly's Law (named for my cousin!) came out of this finding.

The bill establishes a registry of Illinois children diagnosed with neonatal diabetes before the age of 12 months, to be used by clinicians and diabetes researchers. Physicians will now be required to report any such cases to the Illinois Department of Public Health and, if the family agrees, will also report results of lab tests that measure blood sugar control in the diabetic children.

Here's a video about a conference of successfully treated patients.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBl3wVyFMPA
Old 04-07-11, 03:52 PM  
psnave

Jen --

You are right, you could? be a T2 that was misdiagnosed, but you won't know without further testing. You can't tell if someone's body makes it's own insulin unless they get a C-peptide test. A T2 on insulin is still different than being a T1 though, and I think it's important to figure this out. It could help your doctor find different treatment options for you. Antibody testing and Cpeptide tests can determine whether you are truly a T1 or a T2. If you are vocal enough, hopefully your govt clinic will listen to you.

I honestly think you need to get a handle on your diagnosis. T2's have insulin resistance and there's a lot of things you can do to help this once you have the right diagnosis.

You should not have to work out twice a day and starve yourself to be in the 200's if you are on the right medicine for your condition, you know?

Are you in the US? There are a lot of patient assistance programs out there to help with test strips, etc.

Are you carb counting?

Quote:
i have wondered sometimes over the years about my diagnoses, but now it is too late to go back as my body doesn't make any insulin anymore. No, my doctor isn't much help. I have to use the gov't asisted hospital. It takes 6 months to get an appointment. I did go to the ER recently for what seemed to be an allergy and my BS was artound 400 and they just sent me home. Becouse of my living situation, I have to just tryi to do what I can in self - control of the situation. My eating habits are terrible and I am trying to turn that around. I have no appetite till supper usually, and then am ravenous for that meal. I am trying ot add 1 more meal at a time. I have wondered about Jackie Warner's plan in her book, but was hoping to hear what other diabetics are doing. Grains do not agree with me very well- I've gotten to where I break out badly when i eat them.- and swell up.
A freidn was kind enough to gety me some chemstrips, and yesterday atleast I was successful at getting the bloodsugars under 200. I had to work out twice though, and hardly eat. just want a handleon it allas a whole. I've gone thru years of, i guess, pretentding i don't have these problems, so I ignore them- now, trying to get it all together is a little overwhelming, ya know? So I am hoping to hear some success and find out the magic plan.

Tags
diabetes