Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 09-04-23, 12:48 PM  
anetta

Thank you!

I really need to read the Longmire books, I watch Longmire everyday!!!

LOL love that show, wish it was still on.

Anita
Old 09-04-23, 06:58 PM  
Erica H.

I can't remember when I last checked in. I read a bunch of books I either didn't like or was just so-so about. The most recent were Poverty by America, which was ok - there were definitely some issues I hadn't thought of before so I was glad I read it, but I was bored through a lot of it too and wasn't sure about the author's presentation either - and What's Eating Us: Women, Food, and the Epidemic of Body Anxiety, which was good but I've read so many books on the subject that there was nothing new in it for me.

I just finished All the Colors Came Out: A Father, a Daughter, and a Lifetime of Lessons. This memoir broke my heart. It was written by a daughter whose father died of ALS. I cried at the end and reread parts of it and cried all over again.

Now I'm reading Everybody Fights: So Why Not Get Better at It? by Kim Holderness of The Holderness Family. I'm not a fighter, but I just discovered The Holderness Family and thought it would be fun to read this book. I just started it and it's better than I expected so far.

Erica
Old 09-04-23, 09:37 PM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Need my arrow

If you know me from any of the other check ins, I need my arrow so I can see at a glance where the threads are that I'm active in.

Erica: I LOVE the Holderness Family. They were on the Amazing Race in addition to all their parodies they do!

Just finished Donna Tartt's "The Goldfinch". It was tiny print for me and took me awhile to get through. WAY longer than most I read also. It wasn't bad, some parts kept my interest, but it wasn't a page turner either.

My library is still closed (they closed for construction - a new roof and septic system) and they are still closed. Took longer than they anticipated. So I went to the library by my work and got out 3 books. I'm currently reading: "The Hidden Child" by Louise Fein. I couldn't remember any recommendations, so saw one that was in the "newer" books on the computer and ended up in the "F"s of the fiction section. I took out 3 books by authors that last names begin with "F". Yep! That's how I roll !!!! That's my strategic planning.

And I realized that a TON of books have "Paris" in the title.

Ok, off to read some and get some sleep.
~ Cleda
Old 09-04-23, 10:16 PM  
Carol K

I preferred Donna Tartt's first two novels to The Goldfinch, although that was interesting too and I read it first because I saw the movie. I'm following her on Goodreads, in case she comes out with another novel.
Old 09-05-23, 12:08 PM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Wow, a new Percy Jackson?! I am reading the original series along with my 9 year old nephew and finding them a fun way to learn Greek mythology.

Finally finished the Ruth Galloway mysteries by Elly Griffiths and in general am satisfied with the conclusion. I wasn't sure how it would wrap up since I was starting to not like Nelson a whole lot, especially in the penultimate book set during Covid lockdown.

I have too many books going at the same time: about to finish up All In by Billie Jean King which I had set aside for quite a while to read loaners and library books that had deadlines, and also started Caged Lion: Joseph Pilates and His Legacy by John Howard Steel who took Pilates classes with Pilates and became close to the couple.

Also started listening to Better Living Through Birding by Christian Cooper, the man who was birding in Central Park when a woman called the police on him. He reads the audio and it's charming and funny.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Old 09-09-23, 07:40 AM  
alisoncooks

I’ve been on a reading binge lately.

First I made my way through several by T. Kingfisher (aka Ursula Vernon):
  • A Wizard’s Guide to Defensive Baking
  • The Seventh Bride
  • Paladin’s Grace
  • Paladin’s Strength
  • The Wonder Engine
  • Clockwork Boys

Then I read some clean regency-era romance by Emma Melbourne (Miss Fleming Falls in Love, The Mysterious Mr. Oliver)

Then I decided to kick up my fall vibes, by shifting to cozy, witchy romance. I’m finishing up Linsey Hall’s How to Fake-Date a Vampire. I already read the first in the series (Modern Girl’s Guide to Magic). Have enjoyed these so far!! They’re not my normal genre.

After this, I’ll continue the witchy theme with Alice Hoffman’s Practical Magic series (which I have never read).
Old 09-09-23, 08:41 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleda View Post

Erica: I LOVE the Holderness Family. They were on the Amazing Race in addition to all their parodies they do!

~ Cleda
If you decide to read their book, I read that the audio version is excellent because Kim and Penn read their own parts and it really adds a lot. I finished it and liked it much more than I expected to. It had a lot of good suggestions for communication, which I'm not good about. I just have to work to apply what I learned instead of forgetting everything once I've closed the book. There were also some good discussions about feelings that were interesting to me. I thought it would be just fluff, but it was definitely much more than that.

Now I'm reading Good Anxiety: Harnessing the Power of the Most Misunderstood Emotion.

Erica
Old 09-09-23, 05:48 PM  
loulou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy G View Post
Thanks dfit! I preordered Stephen King’s “Holly” and I’m really looking forward to it. I have a long travel day on Wednesday so the release date is perfect, yay!
Please update on your thoughts on “Holly”. Will most likely buy it no matter what the reviews are.

Finished a library hold “It’s One of Us” by J.T. Ellison. Mystery. A little wordy but it was hard to put down.
Old 09-09-23, 08:00 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I'm reading The House Is on Fire, a book based on the true story of a packed theater that caught on fire in Richmond in the early 1800s. The book follows a number of characters during the event and its aftermath.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Old 09-10-23, 07:08 AM  
annette
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
I'm reading The House Is on Fire, a book based on the true story of a packed theater that caught on fire in Richmond in the early 1800s. The book follows a number of characters during the event and its aftermath.
That sounds interesting! Will have to see if my library has it.

Tags
audiobooks, books, fall reading, kindle, off topic, off-topic, reading