Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 12-13-01, 06:26 PM  
Crescent Moon
VF Supporter

I used to have...

a Parabody two station home gym, with a 200lb. weight stack. I really liked it, but after moving it a few times (apt. living), I decided to unload it. I can tell you now that I *really* miss it! I love to turn on some good music and hit the weights hard, and a stack weight machine allows you to go heavy safely (within reason, of course). They also compliment free weight training beautifully.

As far as Parabody goes, they make excellent equipment.
Old 12-17-01, 07:24 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Hi Donna Marie

It's so great that you and your DH found a Hoist. I think that they are one of the top home gyms on the market. Their commercial equipment is also excellent. The Hoist will last forever. I've never even needed an adjustment. All you need to do is spray some silicone spray to lubricate it once in a blue moon. It is different from free weights, I agree. It allows you to do exercises not possible with free weights. I find that exercises with pulleys are wonderful because you have the constant resistance throughout the entire range of motion. Have fun using your Hoist!
Old 12-24-01, 01:41 PM  
Donna Marie

Thanks Abbe

I was poking around here and just saw your response. I wanted to thank you for your tip about the silicon spray. I don't think anyone mentioned that before and I will pass it along to hubs.

If you happend to check in, could you let me know how long it took you to make the transition from free weights to machine? I'm feeling a bit awkward even though I was "walked" through the various excercises and seating positions by a guy who owns a fitness equipment shop.

Thanks again for the tip!

Donna
Old 01-06-02, 02:18 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Hi Donna Marie

Sorry it took me so long; I just saw your question today.
Actually, I didn't make a transition from free weights to machines because I started strength training years ago doing a combination of both machines and free weights. However, I can understand where it might feel difficult to make that transition because you are not finding yourself within the confines of a seat and in new positions with different ranges of motion. What I've observed from training clients is that it takes a few weeks of consistent training to develop the new coordination. You need to pay close attention to form, and remember to stay in command of the machine and keep the momentum smooth, stay slow and controlled on the negatives and don't let the weight stack touch down between reps. Also, you need to make sure that you are positioned just right before starting any exercise; make sure the seat is adjusted to the right height, etc. Have fun!
Old 01-06-02, 02:32 PM  
Donna Marie

This Is Timely, LOL

I was doing some overtime today and saw your reply pop up. I am so happy for the advice of a trainer and thank you for that. Over the past few weeks, I have made a real effort to get my adjustments right. I have a whole afternoon today (how rare is that?) to go out there and notate my seating heights and the excercise. For Christmas, I asked for a rope/knot tricep accessory. I love the way that feels on the pull down.

Thank you again. I learn something every week from our community.

Donna
(on her way to Yardbirds to pick up silicon spray)
Old 01-06-02, 03:22 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

I got the Nautilus Home Power System

for Christmas. We had been looking for a long time and felt that for the price it would be hard to beat. The quality is great. The unit comes with 250 lbs. plates, a bench that inclines for sure, a lat machine, safety rack and a place to store your plates.

We paid $387.00 before taxes through Costco. Costco has a coupon for $50.00 off from January 14th through January 20th bringing this unit down to $327.00.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008