Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 08-25-09, 06:42 AM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

I could comment on this subject forever! I take my dog hiking six days a week, year round (even my avatar is a hiking photo!). I own numerous brands of hiking boots, sandals and trail runners. Surprisingly, this is the one area in my life where expensive has not turned out to be better. My absolute favorites:

running boots (I have both high and low cut ones): Hi-Tec. Very affordable (I get mine from www.zappos.com) fit great and last for years. I did a north rim to south rim hike of the grand canyon (five days) in a pair of these and was the only one in our group to not get blisters.

hiking sandals: absolutely could not live without my Keen's. Venice II model is my favorites. Cheap knockoff substitutes will not do!

trail runners: totally agree with the new balance recommendation. My road running shoes are asics and I've tried their trail runners, but always go back to New balance.

ETA-I also have chronic PF so I know what that's like!
I own a ton of Merrell shoes and they are my favorite for vacations where I want a good looking shoes that can also double for a hiking shoe, but I don't use them for my regular hikes.

In my opinion, the single most important factor.....smart wool hiking socks and silk liners!!!
Old 08-26-09, 06:39 AM  
mizach
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepla View Post
In my opinion, the single most important factor.....smart wool hiking socks and silk liners!!!
Where do you get these socks and silk liners? What brand?
Old 08-26-09, 07:01 AM  
CarlaShanti

Brashers, Salomon, Columbia and Merril have all been good to my feet!

If you suffer from golfers vasculitis (that's where you get a red rash around your sock line after about 5 or 6 miles), be sure to keep your socks turned right down to ankle level. Since I started doing that and taking a Claritin at the first sign of my feet feeling hot on the trail, I've had much milder symptoms. I mention it because of the sock post. I used to wear double socks, but it aggravated my golfers vasculitis, so now I just wear one pair of thin CoolMax socks in summer, and a thicker pair in cooler months.
Old 08-26-09, 07:02 AM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizach View Post
Where do you get these socks and silk liners? What brand?
Smart Wool is the brand of socks. Silk Liners I buy REI brand. I buy both at REI.
Old 08-26-09, 03:24 PM  
violingal3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizach View Post
DH and DS have Asolos. REI has them on sale through Labor Day and I plan to get me a pair as well. We've been hiking for miles when we go on vacation. It's time to get me a real hiking boots.
Yes, Asolos are great. DH and I both have a pair. Good to know they are on sale, it's about time we picked up another pair!
Old 09-02-09, 12:44 PM  
Lucysql
VF Supporter

On the New Balance hikers - how fast do they dry out when they get wet?
Old 09-03-09, 03:21 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

REI also has REI brand hiking boots- made by one of the big boot makers, of course. I have a pair that must be over 10 years old, the sole has worn down so I don't wear them in the woods too much, but I use them for mountain biking and spinning.
Old 09-10-09, 07:00 AM  
mizach
VF Supporter

I bought a pair of Asolos last weekend. Smart wool socks felt so good with them! I wish I had these boots when I did an 11 mile hike in Yosemite.
Old 02-13-10, 10:40 PM  
Robin L

I've used Vasque boots for decades and love them. As compared with other brands I've tried, they have real good stability on rough ground so your heels and ankles don't move sideways. They also last a long time and have good traction on slippery ground. I use the low cut Vasque Breeze for everyday hiking and a higher boot (don't know the model name) for bad weather. Sierra Trading Post has good bargains on some models. But like someone said, try many kinds on at a store and see what fits your foot.

Luckily, the well known brands of hiking boots just wouldn't stay in business if they weren't really well made, so Vasque, Merrill, Salomon, and Asolo will all be a good investment. My Salomon's don't have the side-to-side stability of the Vasque, but it could just be the particular model I got.

If financially possible, I always buy 2 pairs and alternate wearing them. Goretex boots cost more but really do work to keep your feet dry, however they're hotter and aren't necessary most of the time.
Old 02-13-10, 11:43 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Interesting old thread. Unfortunately, you just have to find what works for you. Some of the things mentioned here get a HUGE thumbs down for me- but others love them. Wool socks - HATE wool, liners- absolutely not, two pairs of socks double the room for blisters. Asolos- don't fit my feet. I'm thinking maybe Asolos don't work for wide feet.

Like most of what else has been mentioned here. I've had good luck with Columbia, Vasque, Merrell, Thorlo, Gold Toe socks. My feet are probably a little wider than average, I hike, mtn bike, snow shoe and cross/backcountry ski -this is in the Rocky Mtns. I also like to walk. What works for one of these activities, pretty much works for all.

So, you just have to try stuff and see what works for you. So much is individual, your biomechanics, how much you sweat, how cold you get, how hot you get, etc. etc. etc. My husband likes completely different stuff than I do, even though we're doing the same things together. (he loves Smartwool- which as mentioned upthread - I HATE, I love Thorlo, which he likes but not as much, (he even likes different thermal undergarments than I do.)

We both love polar fleece though.