Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 06-02-23, 05:10 PM  
Gams

I came across Mr. Mercedes the other day. I think I got it at a yard sale but never read it. Can anyone tell me if it’s good?
Old 06-02-23, 06:38 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
I came across Mr. Mercedes the other day. I think I got it at a yard sale but never read it. Can anyone tell me if it’s good?
I liked it! It's part of a trilogy though, so be forewarned (although it is stand-alone).

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
Old 06-02-23, 09:04 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
I liked it! It's part of a trilogy though, so be forewarned (although it is stand-alone).
I read it without reading the others (I think I started the next one but gave up, maybe?) and I enjoyed it.
Old 06-03-23, 06:41 AM  
Carol K

I accidentally posted this on the Spring thread:

I finished The Half Moon before I went on vacation (I loved it) and then I started 48 Clues Into the Disappearance of My Sister by Joyce Carol Oates while I was on vacation. The book takes place in upstate New York and that's where I was, so that was fun.
Old 06-03-23, 12:08 PM  
rhbrand

I've finally started reading "Everything Fat Loss" by Ben Carpenter.

I follow him and his wife, Sohee Carpenter on Instagram and TikTok so I got his book and so far, it's good. Of course I'm only about 20% through it
Old 06-05-23, 09:50 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

A friend just discovered a British mystery series by Elly Griffiths, about a forensic archaeologist Dr. Ruth Galloway, and passed along The Lantern Men, not the first in the series, but the first one she read. (She reads series out of order, which makes me twitchy ) I blew through it this weekend and really liked it--reminds me of Tana French and a bit of Louise Penny. Have just started an earlier one, The Outcast Dead.

I finished Outlive by Peter Atilla last week and it was interesting. Definitely some useful takeaways, like improving grip strength and mobility in addition to overall strength for healthier aging. Though it was a slog at times, I'm glad I read it.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Old 06-06-23, 09:52 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercat View Post
A friend just discovered a British mystery series by Elly Griffiths, about a forensic archaeologist Dr. Ruth Galloway, and passed along The Lantern Men, not the first in the series, but the first one she read. (She reads series out of order, which makes me twitchy ) I blew through it this weekend and really liked it--reminds me of Tana French and a bit of Louise Penny. Have just started an earlier one, The Outcast Dead.

I finished Outlive by Peter Atilla last week and it was interesting. Definitely some useful takeaways, like improving grip strength and mobility in addition to overall strength for healthier aging. Though it was a slog at times, I'm glad I read it.
I read the Ruth Galloway series in order except for the last one. Though each book is a standalone I would definitely recommend reading them in order if possible for the characters back story development. I did enjoy the series but I thought it was more of a light read but still very good.
Old 06-06-23, 11:32 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post
I read the Ruth Galloway series in order except for the last one. Though each book is a standalone I would definitely recommend reading them in order if possible for the characters back story development. I did enjoy the series but I thought it was more of a light read but still very good.
My friend gave me The Lantern Men, The Outcast Dead and The Last Remains. I checked the library and naturally all the earlier ones are checked out with people waiting

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Old 06-06-23, 03:37 PM  
Trixoo
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
I like a good romance too, although now that I'm in my mid-50s, I get a little impatient with 20s-something "chick lit" (although I still read it). That's probably why I like the quirky stories with the heartwarming endings, especially when they feature older characters.
Beth - I definitely prefer romances with older characters or at least characters that act like adults. Too many times authors have their characters act in immature ways to move the plot along (boring). LB Dunbar has some romances that feature 40 and 50 year olds in one of her series, I think Silver is in every title, and I found them on Hoopla. She has a similar series that I didn’t care for, though.

What romance authors do you prefer? My favorites for contemporary romance are Penny Reid, Sarina Bowen, Abby Jimenez, Emily Henry, Lyssa Kay Adams, Christina Lauren, Amy Daws, Helen Hoang, Chloe Liese, Julie James, Katherine Center, Mhari McFarlane, Claire Kingsley, Sonali Dev, Ali Hazelwood, and many others, but sheesh, I didn’t realize I could think of so many off the top of my head! Many of these authors write series (although the books are usually standalones), but I enjoy that since you get to know a town or workplace and its characters. Also, some of these are steamy, some aren’t…I don’t care either way as long as the characters are developed and the story is good.

For historicals, I love Lisa Kleypas, Tessa Dare, Joanna Shupe, and Evie Dunmore (and others I can’t remember right now).

I don’t only read romance(!), but I’ve had some really crushing experiences over the past couple of years and needed low angst, joy-filled books with happy endings. These books really saw me though (well, keep seeing me through). And I was happy to see some really smart, well researched books (e.g., I learned all about crypto currency from a Penny Reid novel). :-)
Old 06-06-23, 05:56 PM  
annette
VF Supporter

I just finished The Gown by Jennifer Robson. It's historical fiction about 2 women who did the embroidery for Queen Elizabeth's wedding gown. Really enjoyed it.

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, off topic, off-topic, reading, summer reading