Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 07-29-05, 11:00 AM  
KathyW
VF Supporter

Thanks so much for all the ideas, everyone. I obviously have a lot of shoe shopping to do this weekend! I have had luck with Merrell's before, so I should see what they have these days. Danskos also seem promising - there are a lot of doctors and nurses on the train I ride to school, and a lot of them wear Danskos, so they must be good if you're on your feet all day.

A question about Birkenstocks - I know a lot of people swear by them, but the footbed seems kind of hard. Does that bother your heels? Or does the support through the arches make up for it?

Lisa C - I hadn't heard of Keen before, but their shoes are cute. I know what you mean about the rubber toe not looking great on some of the styles, but I really like their take on Mary Janes. They do look really comfortable, too.

Debbie - Finns Comfort are indeed expensive! But they seem to get a lot of rave reviews around the web. I'm going to see if I can try some on in a store around here and then maybe save up for them! I know it's worth putting money into keeping my feet in good shape, but it's hard when all my friends are wearing $10 flip flops from Target!

Dianairene - That's so funny about your incident with the flipflops. It's hard not to be stupid about shoes when everyone else wears such cute but completely unsupportive shoes in the summer! When I'm waiting for the T in the morning and see everyone in their sparkly flip flops, I get so jealous - why can they all wear those shoes and I can't??? I like how the Chacos look, though, and they sell them in a shop nearby, so I can check them out in person.

Anyway, thanks again everyone. If anyone else has thoughts to share, please go ahead!

Kathy
Old 07-29-05, 11:32 AM  
dianairene

Hi Kathy,

Just realized you're in Boston too. I got the Chacos from citysports, so you could take advantage of the 2d pair $30 sale deal and get some workout shoes while you're at it. They only had one pair of Chacos at the Harvard Sq. citysports, though.

I hear ya about all those folks on the T. Life is not fair!
Old 07-29-05, 12:47 PM  
lemonmoon

keen shoes

I don't have pf, but I do have achy feet and have to have comfortable shoes.

I bought the Keen Saratoga style a few months and really really love--they feel great on my feet. Never thought that I could wear a heel-less shoe, but I have no problems with these.

One thing about the Keens, though. My feet are very very wide and I am extremely self-conscious about their width. Some of the rubber on the Keens wrap about the sides of the shoe and have different colors on them, which really draws attention to how wide the shoe is. I returned one style of Keen to the store, in spite of its feeling fabulous on my feet, because they added so much visual width that I was too embarrassed to wear them in public. Some of them look more Mickey Mouse than others, but if you find a good style, they are swell.
Old 07-29-05, 02:29 PM  
Cathi
VF Supporter

Another vote for Danskos--they have absolutely saved my feet. I have two pairs of custom orthotics. Danskos are the only shoes I don't have to wear the orthotics with. The ones I wear when my feet really need "therapy" are the professional clog. I've worn these walking for hours on end. Doctors, nurses, chefs and others who have to stand all day long swear by them. My podiatrist did not recommend birkenstocks because the heel is lower and this can agrevate some PF feet.

Cathi
who has spread the Dansko word and saved many pairs of feet
Old 07-29-05, 02:54 PM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyW
A question about Birkenstocks - I know a lot of people swear by them, but the footbed seems kind of hard. Does that bother your heels? Or does the support through the arches make up for it?
I thought the same thing when I first put on Birkenstocks, but once they are broken in (doesn't take long), the footbed softens up substantially. And yes, I do think the support through the arch helps.

I absolutely love Danskos but am struggling because I just can't seem to get the right fit. Does anyone else have to order up a size in Dansko or do you find they fit just like other shoes?
Old 08-03-05, 09:16 PM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

Crocs shoes

I'd like to know if anyone has Crocs shoes and how you like them. I talked to someone yesterday who swears by them. She works 12-hour shifts in a hospital and isn't bothered by back pain since she has been wearing them.

Tell me the pros and cons of them, please. The thing that interests me about them is their comfort, not so much their looks.

Crocs

Thanks!

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

“Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy.” — Author Unknown
Old 08-03-05, 09:25 PM  
acescholar

Another vote for Dansko closed back clogs -- love, love, love them. I don't have many shoes [when we moved, one of movers said to me -- I noticed you won't win the Imelda Marcos award......], but I do have several pairs of these. They have some cool ones in patent leather that I love -- and I think they're funky and stylish! While I have found a good fit, and I always take the same size, I do notice that each shoe fits differently, and so these are probably not the best shoes to order online. I first starting wearing these because a friend with severe back problems told me her orthopedist recommended them!
Old 08-03-05, 09:40 PM  
DawnP
VF Supporter

A vote for Z-Coils - hard to find, pricey but worth it

I vote for Z-Coils, you can see their new Taos Strap Mary Jane shoe model here: http://www.ez-shoes.com/taos_clog.htm

Z-Coils are worn by 2/3 of the nurses at our local hospital and by all the postal carriers in my town. I found they are wonderful for standing/walking for long periods of time.

When I wear them with overly long black slacks you can't even see the heel, you can't tell they have coils. And I'm 1 inch taller in them! Folks think that the heel must be very high but actually the footbed is fairly built up too - so it's more like a platform shoe.

They are *so* comfortable. It feels like your heel is suspended in air. You can even run in them (the entire line was developed by a runner who managed a shoe store).

Of course shoes this expensive are probably only necessary for those of us who have severe acute PF or for those who stand on their feet all day...

You can't buy these anywhere but at a Z-Coil dealer store and they fit you very carefully. They make many adjustments - thicker inserts, high arches, adjust the coils or substitute harder/softer coils - for each individual. I don't think you could mail order them.

But if you do get a pair you'll swear by them! I plan on going back to my hospital job this fall thanks to these shoes. Got two pair now
Old 08-04-05, 08:01 AM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan H
I'd like to know if anyone has Crocs shoes and how you like them. I talked to someone yesterday who swears by them. She works 12-hour shifts in a hospital and isn't bothered by back pain since she has been wearing them.

Tell me the pros and cons of them, please. The thing that interests me about them is their comfort, not so much their looks.

Crocs

Thanks!
I can't answre your question but I have to say I love the look of these shoes!
Old 08-04-05, 01:35 PM  
dianairene

I've been intrigued by Crocs too and have tried them on in a couple stores. They felt cheap and flimsy, and I couldn't get a comfortable fit. I don't get the crocs phenomenon.