Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 06-09-05, 11:49 AM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

If you're short and a cheapskate (like me ) I just bought a pair of danskin roll up capris from Wal Mart. They do not look like workout wear. They are so comfortable I can even work out in them- I usually find most capris pull funny when working out- maybe it's my calves) They are made of canvas looking stretchy nylon, similar to what the hiking pants are made of (a tiny differnet styling and they could pass for work pants- docker-like). I went back for more and of course, they were all gone.

If you don't think you'll use the zip off, I'd go with workout gear instead (sweats, yoga pants, etc.). They come in all kinds of fabric now, and I'm sure you can find something very comfortable plus attractive and hip.

I'd also try Ross's dress for Less and TJ Maxx if there are any in your area. I saw some Columbia hiking pants at TJ's a few days ago.

LynnO- queen of parentheses and mispellings
Old 06-09-05, 11:57 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Hey, thanks for all the great suggestions!

With somethig like hiking pants, I'd probably want to try them on first.
I don't feel like the zip-off legs are a necessity with me. (Especially after seeing a recent news story about ticks and Lyme Disease being on the rise this seaseon. )

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 06-09-05, 04:23 PM  
Sophie

I'm definately in the "prefer hiking in long pants" crowd. I got so scratched up and hacked up in my youth, and just got tired of it. Plus, as you said, the sun and the bugs.

I really like the zip-off pants by Columbia. The zipper is enclosed on both sides - I mean, there is a flap so that the zipper itself doesn't rub against your legs. Whatever brand you look for, try to make sure that it has that for the zipper. (Alta, it's still nice to be able to zip off the legs when you get back in the car and go for a latte )

Generally, I look for fast dry pants with a way of fastening the cuffs tighter (again, bugs), one or two zip pockets (for car keys!!) and a cargo pocket. I usually try to find a tough nylon weave fabric because I'm tired of snagging thinner fabrics or knits. A good fabric (for me) will let things like thorny branches slide past it. Otherwise I get hung up!

I also like pants that have some sort of articulation - meaning, that for a weave fabric, there are seams that allow for comfortable bending at the knees, etc.

I never go outdoors in cotton anymore, and definately not jeans. Been there, done that. Yuck, chafing, and if you get wet you're wet forever.

It's not so much the brand, for me, but the slightly techy features.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Old 06-10-05, 08:12 AM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

For something really abrasion-resistant I suggest "cordura" - "A high strength, abrasion resistant nylon yarn." It comes in various deniers. Think "luggage material'.

Several years ago I was looking for something to wear amidst my roses and saw a pair of pants for men, I think in 1,000 denier, at Sierra Trading Post. I also got a 500 denier Cordura men's shirt (I cut off part of the long sleeves). They have been a blessing. The pants sit on my hips since the waist is large but it works well. I shortened and "hemmed" them using an adhesive or iron-on 'magic tape'. Mine are heavy because they are thick but at the same time because they are a nylon they are supple - not at all as if I were wearing a heavy denim or canvas. And they dry fairly quickly. You probably wouldn't need a very high denier.
Old 06-11-05, 07:08 PM  
lorrayne
VF Supporter

I buy all of my "zipper" hiking pants from REI. I like the Columbia and REI brands for my short frame. I really like the ones where you can upzip a portion of the pants legs from the bottom of the pants to allow you to remove the bottom portion of the pants over your hiking boots. This comes in really handy if you're in the middle of a hike and want to unzip the lower portion of the pants... I found this especially helpful a couple of weeks ago when hiking in Yosemite.

Hope this helps.
Lorrayne
Old 06-12-05, 05:41 AM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanna
I don't own any myself, but my very good friend always wears them when we go hiking. She's never complained about chafing (but they always seemed like they would IMO). As for me...I tend to wear old blue jeans on those colder days (I know, I know, they're not exactly recommended for hiking ).

There are a few listed here:
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/xq/...st_display.htm
I love Sierra Trading Post! I have several pairs of hiking/travel pants from that site. And some come in black! -- I store those in my luggage for travel.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)