Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 12-08-05, 11:41 PM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

Thought it might be useful as regards swimming.
Old 12-09-05, 08:27 AM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly33
While a vocal coach once suggested this for singing, the tri coach suggested that these are of no use for athletic performance--I think because what you can do sitting on the couch at home doesn't translate to aerobic work. Hardly scientific, but I'm not terribly tempted by them.
I can see where a device like this might be beneficial for breath control (singing) but am a bit dubious about the athletic benefit too. The devices look a lot like one that was sent home with me to check my lung function after I had major surgery. And it was a pretty good measure of what my capacity was but don't remember any sense of the device improving aerobic ability. For me, simple pranayama sounds so, well, beautifully simple.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
Old 12-09-05, 11:55 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

After I had surgery a few years back, they gave me a device to increase lung capacity. I recovered quickly and didn't really need it. I finally gave it to my niece and nephew to play with. You had to keep a ball in the air that was inside a plastic tube. It also had a gauge to show you how great your capacity was. I definitely think pranayama would work just as well unless you like gadgets and they motivate you.
Old 12-09-05, 12:00 PM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

I'll stick with pranayama. Thanks all.
Old 12-09-05, 12:32 PM  
Jacqi A
VF Supporter

I agree that pranayama is as good or better than a device.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratima
...I think the greatest increase I ever had in lung capacity was when I started playing French horn. In Flagstaff, AZ, at 7000 feet.
I played the saxophone & clarinet for years as a child & teenager, I think it developed my lung capacity & breath control permanently.
Old 12-09-05, 12:49 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

I still wasn't able to see any of the devices, but they all sound like they give feedback. There isn't anything about the device itself that increases lung capacity. You still have to use it to develop it, but the device gives you feedback that makes you keep working.

Like playing an instrument.

Jacqi, I haven't played French horn in many years (never had one, always used the school's) and feel my capacity has probably decreased. Do you still play?
Old 12-10-05, 11:04 PM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

Here's another site offering such a device: http://www.lungpower.com/site/1263408/page/45031
Old 12-10-05, 11:24 PM  
Lianne
VF Supporter

This is an old pranayama book from 1903 that may be of interest. It apparently has been passed amongst trumpet players for years, :

http://www.shout.net/~jmh/clinic/science_of_breath/
Old 12-11-05, 12:00 AM  
Jacqi A
VF Supporter

Pratima, I haven't played the saxophone for years (no great loss to anyone!), now I play the recorder with my kids. I have done a lot of yoga over the last few years.

Lianne, I find it fascinating that trumpet players use an old pranayama book. I'll look at the book later.

Tags
lung capacity