Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 12-26-10, 11:36 AM  
alisoncooks

What about the HeavyHands stuff? Didn't he have studies that backed up the usage of weights to show it increased calorie burn? Granted, that was in the ...80s? And he did have some fancy-schmancy moves he did with his weights while walking....
Old 12-26-10, 11:45 AM  
mtnmom

I'm going to be backpacking this summer, traveling about 8 miles a day with a 25 pound pack. I fail to see what harm holding 1 pound weights in your hands while walking would do.
Old 12-26-10, 12:06 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Wearing 1lb weighted gloves is an easy idea to raise your hr a little while not over-stressing your joints. I don't think you'd cause harm with such little weight. If they start bothering you, you could always take them off and shove them in your pockets while you keep walking (unlike dumbbells).
Old 12-26-10, 12:09 PM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmom View Post
I'm going to be backpacking this summer, traveling about 8 miles a day with a 25 pound pack. I fail to see what harm holding 1 pound weights in your hands while walking would do.
I think the concern is that weight in the hands represents the end of a lever that swings along a vulnerable joint, the shoulder. But I tend to agree with those that feel that 1 lb is probably too light to be either damaging or effective.

Yes, I remember the Heavy Hands fitness classes in the 80's! People would walk while doing flies or presses, etc. That doesn't seem to be a trend that's stuck around for long or come back (unless those Shake Weight people get ahold of it )

I think that if you wanted to increase effort, a better option would be just to wear a backpack, loaded safely so it's nice and close to the body. I know I've done that in the past to prep for the hiking season.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Old 12-26-10, 12:18 PM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

I sometimes use very light weights, but I make sure to keep my elbows bent and pump my arms. This uses more muscle and seems to take the strain off of the joints. If I just let my arms hang, I feel the pull in my shoulders. I also have very loose ligaments, so I often need to compensate with more muscle use (Does that make sense? I'm typing on the fly). I don't know what it adds to the workout, but I feel I'm doing a little extra something.
Old 12-26-10, 01:50 PM  
Sophia

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAC View Post
Sophia, is the term you're looking for compression?
Yes, it is. It comes much easier to me now at 11:00 am versus 1:00 am!

Thanks
Old 12-26-10, 03:05 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
I want to carry weights primarily to increase my heart rate and caloric burn not to tone my arms. It is very difficult for me to get my heartrate up by walking alone - I usually need to alternate walking with running to get my HR up to a level that is barely in my target heart rate zone.
Try increasing your speed and using some race-walk techniques (see www.racewalk.com ): those techniques engage the upper body more, which will increase heart rate and calorie burn. If you can train to the point where you're walking a speed that would be easier to jog (usually around 5 mph) from all accounts you will burn more calories than jogging at that same speed.

For a start, keep your arms at a 90-degree angle and swing them actively.

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Old 12-26-10, 03:43 PM  
LAC

Using walking poles, as in Nordic walking, is supposed to be a good, safe way to increase your effort/caloric expenditure.
Old 12-26-10, 07:47 PM  
kat999

Little one-pound weighted gloves just don't seem like they'd be very dangerous. I do think the racewalk techniques look great, though.
Old 12-26-10, 08:19 PM  
2ndgen

Heavy Hands weights are still sold & are very nice for walking. Similar light walking weights are sold at Walmart. I have some & also use my aunt's Heavy Hands at times. I can't see how these can cause an injury. I do not think it is good to walk with ankle weights or a vest but light hand weights do slightly increase cardio and are fine, IMO.

Tags
walking, walking with weights, weighted gloves, weighted vest, weighted walking