Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 08-25-13, 10:15 AM  
Sara1000

Cathe's STS Meso 3 is heavy but it presumes you have worked up to it with Meso 1 & 2, so proceed with caution. Gymstyles has more reps so you can't go as heavy - these workouts have so many different sets you can't go truly heavy on all of it - at least I can't. But I also don't feel obligated to do all of every workout every time.
Old 08-25-13, 11:35 AM  
edensmom

I like this idea and it is somewhat similar to what I do already, in that I tend to have a focus for about 3-4 weeks (sometimes up to 8 but that is a stretch for me.) I don't switch between heavy and light necessarily, just different styles. When I look at this plan, it looks to me like a maintenance plan. What I am wondering is, especially with the heavy lifting, if three weeks is really enough time to see any changes, (really work on building muscle )presuming that is what you want.

From last July until March I focused on heavy lifting (a few light workouts as recovery here and there). I did hiit and metabolic workouts for cardio. I tend to build muscle and show changes pretty fast (arms and abs show definition within a few workouts.) But as I kept at it for months I saw definition I never had before, especially in my shoulders in back. I really gained strength in those areas too as far as lbs lifted. That wouldn't have been possible with just a few weeks. Not that I think this is a bad plan at all, kind of thinking out loud. I guess it depends on your goals. I have been using light to moderate weights for about 5 months now and there is a definite difference in my physique- not as "cut" looking I guess. I think if I hadn't taken so long off heavy lifting, this kind of 3 week plan would be perfect to better maintain the results I had. When the kids go back to school (starting next week) I will probably be transitioning back to heavier weights and paper workouts. I am practically going to be starting all over.

I was looking at photos of myself from my Hawaii vacation in October and February and I was like WOW, I look different now. I still look toned but not like I was.
Old 08-25-13, 12:00 PM  
Sara1000

I think the idea is to keep doing this pattern indefinitely - you won't see changes after the first 3 weeks but after months of going through this pattern of working out you WILL see changes. I suspect there are physiological reasons why heavy/light works better over the years than just doing heavy. I'm SURE there are pyschological reasons!
Old 09-02-13, 05:11 AM  
lisarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by edensmom View Post
I like this idea and it is somewhat similar to what I do already, in that I tend to have a focus for about 3-4 weeks (sometimes up to 8 but that is a stretch for me.) I don't switch between heavy and light necessarily, just different styles. When I look at this plan, it looks to me like a maintenance plan. What I am wondering is, especially with the heavy lifting, if three weeks is really enough time to see any changes, (really work on building muscle )presuming that is what you want.

From last July until March I focused on heavy lifting (a few light workouts as recovery here and there). I did hiit and metabolic workouts for cardio. I tend to build muscle and show changes pretty fast (arms and abs show definition within a few workouts.) But as I kept at it for months I saw definition I never had before, especially in my shoulders in back. I really gained strength in those areas too as far as lbs lifted. That wouldn't have been possible with just a few weeks. Not that I think this is a bad plan at all, kind of thinking out loud. I guess it depends on your goals. I have been using light to moderate weights for about 5 months now and there is a definite difference in my physique- not as "cut" looking I guess. I think if I hadn't taken so long off heavy lifting, this kind of 3 week plan would be perfect to better maintain the results I had. When the kids go back to school (starting next week) I will probably be transitioning back to heavier weights and paper workouts. I am practically going to be starting all over.

I was looking at photos of myself from my Hawaii vacation in October and February and I was like WOW, I look different now. I still look toned but not like I was.
Interesting! Can you share what dvds you were doing during your heavy lifting phase? thanks!

Do or do not...there is no try. ~Yoda

Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world. ~Miyamoto Musashi

Group Fitness Instructor
BS in Kinesiology
Old 09-02-13, 09:56 AM  
daisyduke

This is really great info! I may try this with Gyn styles as my heavy or p90x... Yoga as my whatever week and then tracy Anderson as my light.

I always get results when switching from one thing to another but theb the results fade quickly... this will probably keep them coming.
Old 09-02-13, 01:54 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyduke View Post
This is really great info! I may try this with Gyn styles as my heavy or p90x... Yoga as my whatever week and then tracy Anderson as my light.

I always get results when switching from one thing to another but theb the results fade quickly... this will probably keep them coming.
Would love to hear your results with that after a couple of months!

Tags
cathe rotation, rotation, rotation ideas, rotations