Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 07-19-23, 01:55 PM  
psupam

One alternative would be to do some exercises like bent rows in a seated position.
Old 07-19-23, 02:08 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhsmom View Post
I am talking about the forward leaning positions that Jessica uses in so many of her videos. In this video, at the 11:24 mark, for instance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xHd...jessicasmithtv.

And she will string several moves like this together, with very little time standing fully upright.

Carol
I’ve always called those lunges. Yes, she does a lot of them! Sometimes I don’t do as many reps as her. But my problem is crunches, and I don’t have to skip too much of the workout to avoid those, unless it’s a core workout.
Old 07-19-23, 02:26 PM  
star117

bothers my back too and I also wondered why she does almost every strength move from a 45 degree bend!
Old 07-19-23, 02:36 PM  
prettyinpink

I haven’t done any of her workouts in a long time. But I looked through the video that was linked and while I wouldn’t have a problem with it, I can see how someone with a tweaky back might without more breaks in between some of the hinged work.

I do have to take breaks with too much one-legged hip hinge sets in a row. Ironically, it’s better with heavier weights, because then I can do a lot fewer reps to work hard. It seems to be the repetition that does it for me. Like I could do dozens of one leg bodyweight RDL’s without stopping, but my back would tell me to stop long before my legs ever were close to giving out.

But form matters a lot. I think that is also the trouble with many repetitions. It is hard to stay focused on form and pushing the butt out and extending the lumbar spine (that is how I have to cue myself to get my back to be flat) when doing a lot of reps in the same position.
Old 07-19-23, 03:09 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Samesies here with twingy lower back from this exact position! I started putting one leg forward and one leg back slightly with Jessica's hip hinge weight stuff (and then alternating). I also started taking more breaks in between to come out of that position more than she does. I also don't lean over as much as she does.
Old 07-19-23, 03:33 PM  
Negin

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhsmom View Post
I don't enjoy her strength work much either for this very reason, but I do enjoy her.
Carol, yes, I enjoy her also. I just need to remind myself to avoid much of her strength work. It's a shame really, since I love her so much.
Old 07-19-23, 04:54 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I do not do any moves in that forward leaning position. I've had a back injury. It has healed, but there's still a weak spot. Only do this if you have a healthy back with no problems. Be cautious about increasing the weights you use.
Stop at the first sign of pain.

I also avoid her weight workouts because of this.
Old 07-19-23, 05:17 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by psupam View Post
One alternative would be to do some exercises like bent rows in a seated position.
^2

you can also put one of your feet on the seat of chair for support. you can still do two-armed rows.

also, you can lean over but not as deep - just enough to feel the contraction in your glutes.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
Old 07-19-23, 07:27 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

You know it's not bent over rows, or deadlifts, or any particular move that bothers my back - it's the cumulative effect of most of the workout being done in that position. It felt like that workout yesterday was done about 75% in a hip hinge position.

Carol
Old 07-20-23, 08:14 AM  
buffmama

Similarly my back will bother me after some of Caroline Girvan's workouts if I do them the way she does.

Tags
hip hinge, jessica smith