Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 08-11-04, 05:36 PM  
cowfishpro

Good points

Like many of you, I am shocked about the strickness. It seems unreasonable.

Pratima, I wondered the same thing about Amazon.com and online companies using invoices. I wonder if they are aware of the enforcement or maybe they have a cooperative for special pricing because they are businesses. But my understanding is that I shouldn't include anything other than the books I am selling, not even the printable invoice, like Amazon.com provides.

Laura, I know my postal workers pretty well too. I'm always in there because of books I'm selling, ebay sales, or workout trades. This information was told to me today, not in a mean way, but as a warning to me because they know I come in so often.

Lori, the USPS is a Federal Organization. Once any mail is in the custody in the Post Office, it is officially their property. That is how they can legally open the mail. So once you drop a letter in a mail box, for example, it no longer belongs to you.

Confuzi, my postal rep today was telling me how people were sending clothes and other things that "jingle" and are clearly not media, as media mail. It's crazy I know. It's a wonder that they don't just stop Media Mail altogether. That almost seems easier. Like Bebop says, for DVDs there isn't a substantial difference in cost.
Old 08-11-04, 05:48 PM  
Joe

That's a good point. Just drop Media Mail completely. I'm sure there are people try to stretch their dollars. But most people who do that have the money to spend anyway. Why else would they be sending things through the mail?

I've always felt that 1st Class is always the better way to go, and if you can get everything in a Priority Mail package, no matter what it weighs, it's a flat rate. To me, that's the best way to send through the USPS.

BTW, I was just kidding about everybody starting to ship everything via Media Mail. Does is really save people that much money unless it's heavy items like books? Why not require that anything being sent Media Mail must be brought to the counter unopened, the postal service person do a quick inspection, and then tape the box shut?

I'm sure that Amazon probably gets a good deal on their shipments just because of the number of items that they ship on a daily basis. I know that where I work, we ship so many packages through UPS that we get a discount on all UPS shipments.
Old 08-11-04, 09:52 PM  
*pet*art*girl*
VF Supporter

Whoa!!

THANK YOU for this information...

“Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion; you must first set yourself on fire.”
- Reggie Leach

“A big shot is a little shot that kept shooting” - Unknown
"I caught myself cheating! Shame on me!" - Cathe
Old 08-12-04, 12:47 AM  
getstrong

Wish I had saved my research from about 8 months ago when this same topic came up. On the USPS website I found two pieces of info that applied; the one that was more detailed emphasized no advertising (meaning sales brochures, which are a separate mail category) but that the sender could include a general notice of future releases. The other guide was for consumer consumption, not the original reg, but it is highly unlikely that the regs would exclude printed invoices. Personal correspondence, can be included if you include the first class postage stamp and notation that first class letter is enclosed - or a stamped letter attached to the package.

What those local clerks are telling you isn't in the guides for consumers. I wouldn't want them to do away with book rate, if you've ever moved and compared mover rates to book rate, you would understand.

The USPS is specific about what "media" means and obviously that's not clothes or things that jingle, unless it's a broken DVD holder. I can certainly understand why they would want to enforce "media" mail only.

If you want to be sure, you could ask your local postmaster for specifics. If the clerk is incorrectly interpreting the postmaster's directions, at least you'd have the final local word on it. I bet the postmaster gives you an entirely different interpretation.

Too bad you have to deal with this interrogation style. I love my PO workers.
Old 08-12-04, 07:44 AM  
suzy
VF Supporter

A postal worker told me several months ago that they were planning on discontinuing Media Mail all together. He didn't say when, though.
Old 08-12-04, 07:49 AM  
Messe

I haven't had anyone at the PO question my media mail packages. However, one postal worker did tell me that unless a package was of a certain thickness (an inch? a half-inch?), I couldn't send it first class with delivery confirmation--I'd have to pay for priority mail instead. Fortunately I live reasonably close to two POs, so I took the package to the other one and sent it first class with delivery confirmation with no problem.

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Old 08-12-04, 08:23 AM  
Suzette
VF Supporter

There was a similar discussion on the eBay boards a few months ago.

From what I remember - if the item did not qualify for media mail, the receiver had to pay the difference between media and first class upon delivery.

There was a big hullaballoo because it was technically the sender who was trying to cheat the system, not the buyer.

I'm not sure what state it happened in.
Old 08-12-04, 09:04 AM  
judy5150

My post office has a sign saying that 1st class mail must be at least 3/4" thick, and also has signs saying that media mail must be unsealed so it can be inspected before mailing.
Old 08-12-04, 09:33 AM  
Videophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowfishpro
The U.S. Post Office is currently checking a number of Media Mail packages because there has been much abuse of its use. I know that it is true because I received a recent trade that had a note, saying it was opened by the Post Office for inspection to verify media contents, and then resealed.
I've received vid. packages that had been opened also. Not only that but a large box with 10 lbs of protein powder and nutrition bars arrived opened and not resealed, but that was UPS.

Last time I mailed something the postal clerk asked me if I was mailing anything "dangerous" which made me ask, "Has anyone ever answered 'yes' to that question?" He just smiled.

Nancy
Old 08-12-04, 10:21 AM  
getstrong

Here's what the USPS says is ok:

Ok this ongoing confusion is personally bothering me, so I found the USPS.com link.

http://hdusps.esecurecare.net/cgi-bi...bWFpbA**&p_li=

The key details are quoted below:

"The following may also be enclosed in a Media Mail package without having to pay additional First-Class Mail® postage:

A bill or invoice for the product or publication in the shipment.
A statement of account for past products or publications.
A limited personal message or greeting (i.e. "Thanks for ordering; we look forward to working with you again").

Important: The additional item must be secondary to the item that qualifies for the Media Mail rate. If the enclosure is the main purpose of the shipment, it must be identified and paid for separately or the entire package is subject to the First-Class Mail / Priority Mail® rate."

I found this in their FAQs as of today, 8/12/04.

Edited to add: here's the relevant piece of what's ok to send media mail:

"Video recordings, player piano rolls, and sound recordings (records, tape cassettes, CDs, DVDs, etc). Including incidental announcements of recordings and guides or scripts prepared solely for use with such recordings."

Tags
media mail, trade courtesy, usps