Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 12-06-22, 02:08 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
Ah your post made me smile! Reminds me exactly why I love thrifting!

Happy hunting!!
Thank you! I found three nice t-shirts to sleep in this morning for a total of $6.75. They were all half off. I hate pajama sets because the tops are never long enough for me. I buy bottoms and wear t shirts on top.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
Old 12-06-22, 02:09 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
Yes! I buy most of our clothes at the thrift store. I don’t often go into the Goodwill near us because it’s a bit gross and wayyyy overpriced. We have a few local stores that I visit regularly. All my kids’ clothes came from there when they were small and growing so fast. Once they hit the awkward stage of just barely hitting adult sizes, I never found things to fit them, so we shopped at retail stores. Now that they’ve stopped growing, they love to go thrifting for their style. Sometimes we find nice flannel shirts and sometimes we find great boots. My oldest likes black and corsets (think Wednesday Addams’s wardrobe in the new series…but on a totally perky and non-goth kid, lol), so we search the thrift store for quirky black/lacy/girly type clothes. My younger dd likes men’s Hawaiian shirts and flannel shirts, so that’s what we tend to get for her.
I am smiling at your description of your daughter's taste. I still like the lacy/girly things but I get colors other than black (but also buy plenty of black). I found several beautiful lace tops in navy, purple and lilac.

Old 12-06-22, 02:10 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
Sherry- Oh yes, I love thrift shopping! I have ever since I was a teen. I shop for mosaic supplies, fitness stuff, books, and clothing. Most of my jeans are from thrift stores. It's a way to get pricey brands for next to nothing. Your post reminded me that I noticed a goodwill just opened in my area that I need to check out!
I hope you have good luck there!

I was so happy to find jeans I like. I HATE shopping for jeans...I cannot ever wear skinny jeans. I need a more traditional straight legged/bootlegged/curvy cut and they are much easier to find at thrift stores, and much cheaper.

Old 12-06-22, 02:12 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusca View Post
You've got it made, Sherry! 2 thrift stores and a grocery outlet in the same area. How fun!! That's a bargain shopper's paradise.

I discovered a new to me thrift store in my area. It's way more reasonable than our local Goodwills whose prices are near retail and the clothing quality is average at best. I was able to get a lot of like new designer denim and shirts for $.50. They went back up to regular price now but it's so reasonable at around 1.99-5.99, which most clothing items are $2.99. I missed the days of JCrew & Banana Republic on my parents dime lol. When I became an adult, a good sale or thrift let me access better quality clothes without the high price tags.

I have been finding more places charge extra if you pay by card and aren't always upfront about it. I carry cash for these stores.
There is a thrift store my son goes to (I never had luck there and they have no dressing room) that only takes cash. He hates that. The ones near me take credit cards and do not charge extra. The store Second Avenue even has a rewards points program, plus they have half off all clothing and accessories around most holidays.

Old 12-07-22, 12:40 AM  
Fonzie
VF Supporter

Congrats on finding some bargains
Most of my clothes come from thrift stores. I worked retail for years and can't stand to pay full price, or even half price. I've been fortunate to make friends who also like to thrift so we go on road trips
In my part of the world the best stores are the church run stores (St Vincent's, etc) or humane society. Goodwill is usually much more expensive. I've found a lot of fun clothes and fitness dvds over the years
Old 12-07-22, 07:08 AM  
mandie123

Yes! I love thrift stores!Where I live now there are no decent ones,so happy to move back to NC, alot of great thrift stores!!
Old 12-07-22, 09:22 AM  
frogribbit
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
I hate shopping for myself with a passion deep in my soul
This spoke to me. Same girl, same
Old 12-07-22, 02:50 PM  
Karla25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzie View Post
Congrats on finding some bargains
Most of my clothes come from thrift stores. I worked retail for years and can't stand to pay full price, or even half price. I've been fortunate to make friends who also like to thrift so we go on road trips
In my part of the world the best stores are the church run stores (St Vincent's, etc) or humane society. Goodwill is usually much more expensive. I've found a lot of fun clothes and fitness dvds over the years
Exactly! I just came from a small thrift store which sells all clothing for $1.99. They give me DVDS for free. I just purchased 3 new T-shirts, a Tommy Hilfiger top and an adorable white pair of shorts with black polka dots for less than what I could buy one new top at a department store. There’s another church thrift store that sells jeans for $1 during the summer months. I have several like new pairs of Chico’s jeans & pants.

I only buy new or like new clothes at the thrift store. I also wash everything as soon as I get home. I never mingle thrift store clothes with my clothes until they’re washed.
Old 12-07-22, 05:25 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

That's great Sherry. Your thrift stores sound fun to shop in.

We don't have anything like that here. Our Goodwill smells like athlete's feet, I can't get passed that. LOL - and it's right next door to the Aldi that I hate. My son is a big thrift store fan - he says the foot stink is "the smell of savings."

My former coworker went to a Goodwill in another part of CT and had the most beautiful thrift pieces, though, including a hunter green leather jacket that made me green with envy!
Old 12-07-22, 05:31 PM  
alisoncooks

I follow a couple of thrifting pages on FB and Reddit, and I’m always so amazed at some of the amazing and beautiful things people find at thrift stores! I’ve never had that “white whale” experience, but I have found a few good deals! Luckily, I’m not too picky; I mostly look for decent jeans, comfy tops, boots, and exercise equipment. (And books! Always books!)

Tags
off topic, off-topic, thrift shopping, thrift store finds, thrift stores