Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 04-16-24, 11:05 AM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Sherry - LOL! I make "pour over" coffee that way every time. I am the only person who drinks coffee regularly at home, so making a pot was too much for one person - I prefer making one cup at a time with the "pour over" method. I don't like Keurig coffee - although we do have a Keurig - my DH will use it when he wants coffee, for me, that is a last resort - like I'm desperate and don't have time to do the pour over! I was gifted a Nespresso and I like that - but the pods are expensive so I save that for a special treat. See, I have too many appliances and gadgets! Although I am not against the electric tea kettle - particularly if it is faster and if it turns itself off!

Donna
I wish I could make pour over coffee! Now I have two appliances on the counter, the electric kettle and the coffee maker.

I’m the only one who drinks coffee too, and I use a small four cup coffee maker.
Old 04-16-24, 11:18 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

I used to have an electric kettle; yes, it boiled water faster than a pot on the stove. I don't know what happened to it .... Likely not going to replace it. As others have said, it's just one more appliance sitting out on the stove/counter ...
-Neita
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
Old 04-16-24, 11:24 AM  
Debinmi

It is faster & you can set the temp

I love my electric kettle .. it's faster than using a kettle on the electric stove. I can set the temperature for different teas (black, herbal, green, white, etc). And it auto- shuts off when the desired temp is reached. Can't hardly imagine not having one, unless I wasn't a tea drinker, then maybe not.
Old 04-16-24, 12:00 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I've had electric kettles for decades. I use them for boiling water for hot tea, filter coffee or ramen noodles.

Also, I used to take one on trips. Back in the Stone Age, motels didn't have coffee makers. So, I'd bring my kettle/hot pot and tea bags, etc.

My current kettle is a pretty, red Hamilton Beach.

Amazon has many kettles in different brands and price ranges.

ETA: Even further back in the day, I used an immersion heater on trips for tea. They are kind of dangerous, IMHO.

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 04-16-24, 12:40 PM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

As bzar said, they used to be called "hot pots" more often. I have one because I don't have a microwave and it boils water very quickly for press pot coffee, tea and cooking--like making broth with Better Than Bouillon, etc. Can't remember when I started calling it an electric kettle. I have a regular Hamilton Beach that I got at Target.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debinmi View Post
I love my electric kettle .. it's faster than using a kettle on the electric stove. I can set the temperature for different teas (black, herbal, green, white, etc). And it auto- shuts off when the desired temp is reached. Can't hardly imagine not having one, unless I wasn't a tea drinker, then maybe not.
I aspire to a multi-temp one Cuisinart recently released one with an octopus design that is pretty cool, but I like being able to see the water boil.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Old 04-16-24, 01:23 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
I wish I could make pour over coffee!
i have a French Press, which I actually bought for making fruity water*. I haven't used it for making coffee yet, but if I did, i'd boil the water in the microwave.

this is the one I have:
https://www.amazon.com/Bodum-10948-0...3&sr=1-12&th=1

*You can also use a French Press for making cocktails - saw this on the Bravo channel!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
Old 04-16-24, 01:32 PM  
sherry7899

I bought one on Amazon awhile ago. I stuck it on a shelf in the pantry (my cat chews cords) and I have to remember to use it.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
Old 04-16-24, 02:19 PM  
ardnas

Thumbs up

I have & use an electric kettle. Had it for the past 11 years. We drink a lot of tea, esp in winter.
I don't recall the brand, but looks really modern - mirrored outside, but when in use it becomes see through & has bright blue lights inside. Cordless. Boils water in 3 mins. I leave on counter top.
Old 04-16-24, 04:04 PM  
kristiep

I have used an electric kettle for years, mostly to heat water for my tea (hot and iced). Now my son uses it to make ramen.
Old 04-16-24, 04:17 PM  
bubbles76

I currently use a Keurig for hot water but for many, many years I used a tea kettle on the stove. I bought the Keurig for Big Bubble thinking it would keep him from buying coffee on the way to work. It's not even good coffee, but he won't give up his routine. Sigh! Since I couldn't return it, I use it to heat up my water for my tea. Heated water in the microwave looks and tastes different. Gets that filmy film on top. I would absolutely get an electric tea kettle if I didn't already have too many appliances.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day

Tags
coffee, french press, off topic, off-topic, tea