Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 02-18-24, 12:08 PM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhsmom View Post
I've just read the two books that you have read, so I can't say if that theme continues to pop up.

Carol
I'm going to watch and see. I kinda hope so. It's just so true. Would be a nice little Easter egg if thrown in. Of course, that could be my over active imagination at play as well. . .

I just finished The Things I Wish I Told My Mother by Susan Patterson. This was another winner for me! I loved it. It was a quick read (bonus? It was LARGE PRINT). so went super fast. as in 24 hour fast.

On to the next one. Either need to scour my Kindle or maybe pick up a book that's laying around. My next WKK (that I put a hold on - the standalone recommended) should be in tomorrow. She says hopefully!

Cleda
Old 02-18-24, 12:21 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post

The Shining was so much more psychologically terrifying than the movie, and the movie lost so many terrifying nuances from the book (like the topiaries and the wasp nest). The mini-series that came out I think in the 1990s was more faithful to the book, but it wasn't very well acted.
I recently read The Shining for the first time, a couple months ago, when we got pounded with snow and I felt like I was at the Overlook myself. The movie is one of my absolute favorites and I was curious about the book, as I generally like books better than their movie adaptations. This was no different. I totally agree with you, Toaster! I know not everything from the book can be included in the movie, but wow, there was SO much detail left out!

I'm curious about Doctor Sleep if anyone here has read it and can comment? I enjoyed the movie but then again, I would like anything with Ewan McGregor, so.....

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
Old 02-18-24, 08:47 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittybug View Post
I recently read The Shining for the first time, a couple months ago, when we got pounded with snow and I felt like I was at the Overlook myself. The movie is one of my absolute favorites and I was curious about the book, as I generally like books better than their movie adaptations. This was no different. I totally agree with you, Toaster! I know not everything from the book can be included in the movie, but wow, there was SO much detail left out!

I'm curious about Doctor Sleep if anyone here has read it and can comment? I enjoyed the movie but then again, I would like anything with Ewan McGregor, so.....
Kitty, I always think of The Shining book and movie as 2 different stories.

And I'm with you on Ewan McGregor! I liked Doctor Sleep, although it is a bit gruesome at times.

Oh, a few others I forgot - Blaze, a Richard Bachman book, is one of my favorites - in fact I want to re-read some time. I also loved Joyland and was surprised by how much I enjoyed Revival, too.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
Old 02-19-24, 01:21 PM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
And I'm reading The Calculating Stars by Mary Robinette Kowal and think it's really good. It's an alternate history of the space race that starts when a meteorite hits the ocean off the eastern seaboard of the U.S. and creates an atmospheric crisis.
I really enjoyed that one. The sequel is sitting on my shelf but I haven't read it yet.

Recently finished Naomi Osaka by Ben Rothenberg. His writing isn't the smoothest but it's an interesting look at her complicated upbringing and how she has matured over the years.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Old 02-21-24, 09:15 PM  
carly

I just finished The Women by Kristin Hannah. It was magnificent! A very emotionally charged historical fiction novel about women who served in Vietnam.
Old 02-24-24, 08:14 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

That's good to hear. It's on my hold list at the library and I'm #1080. I figure I'll get it eventually.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Old 02-24-24, 08:42 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
That's good to hear. It's on my hold list at the library and I'm #1080. I figure I'll get it eventually.
LOL, I'm number 384 and I thought that was bad!

I'm reading Wordslut: A Feminist Guide to Taking Back the English Language.

Just finished 2 memoirs:

From Scratch: A Memoir of Love, Sicily, and Finding Home

Dear Sister: A Memoir of Secrets, Survival, and Unbreakable Bonds

Erica
Old 02-25-24, 12:08 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carly View Post
I just finished The Women by Kristin Hannah. It was magnificent! A very emotionally charged historical fiction novel about women who served in Vietnam.
Interesting! I am reading "Magic Hour" by Kristin Hannah - recommended by an old co worker.

Cleda
Old 02-25-24, 11:32 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I don't think I mentioned that I'm reading a classic sci-fi, Robert Heinlein's Friday. I like it, but I forgot that has a tendency to be very wordy and meandering at times, so it's a bit of a slower read than I usually enjoy for a novel. I think I need some light fluff after this!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
Old 02-25-24, 06:41 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I'm reading The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith/JK Rowling. It's a good story and is keeping my interest. I really like the character development as well as the mystery.

I'm also reading Stalking Ground by Margaret Mizushima, another second book in a mystery series. It's completely engaging and I really like this book and the characters in it, including the K-9 cop.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, off topic, off-topic, reading, winter reading