Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 03-27-22, 05:44 PM  
Sissy B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dena View Post
I finished Run Rose, Run by Dolly Parton and James Patterson.

I love Dolly Parton's music and James Patterson's novels but I didn't really enjoy this co-written book. I enjoy James Patterson's novels because thrillers are my favorite genre; this novel fell way short on that. It reminded me of the TV show Nashville, which I thoroughly enjoyed but don't want to read in the format of a novel.

Dolly also released an album based on songs from the book.
I read Run Rose Run a few days ago and as much as I love Dolly Parton and really wanted to like this book, I wasn’t thrilled with it either.
Old 03-27-22, 06:02 PM  
Erica H.

I just finished The Nature of Fragile Things and hated it. Shouldn't have finished but I kept investing more time into it. It has solid good reviews so it's definitely just me.

Just started Mel Brooks' autobiography. All about Me!: My Remarkable Life in Show Business. My dad loved his work and they both grew up in Brooklyn around the same time. Wish my dad were still here so we could talk about what I'm reading.

Erica
Old 03-27-22, 06:25 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paine View Post
Pam, I have read The Midnight Library but I'll add Notes on a Nervous Planet to my reading list. Thank you for the recommendation.
I hope you enjoy it Paine. It's non fiction and he gets into a lot timely issues along with his his own struggles with anxiety and depression. I found it very interesting.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
Old 03-27-22, 11:19 PM  
SpiritYogi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sissy B View Post
I read Run Rose Run a few days ago and as much as I love Dolly Parton and really wanted to like this book, I wasn’t thrilled with it either.
Glad I'm not the only one. I listened to Dolly's new album tonight and didn't care for the songs either.

Give me Dolly's classic songs and novels written solely by James Patterson, thankyouverymuch!
Old 03-28-22, 07:18 AM  
Dancing Queen

Just finished:
Citizen: An American Lyric (Claudia Rankine) - a gorgeous, heartbreaking book of poems about racism in America

Just started:
Petty: The Biography (Warren Zanes)
Old 03-28-22, 07:28 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Queen View Post
Just finished:
Citizen: An American Lyric (Claudia Rankine) - a gorgeous, heartbreaking book of poems about racism in America

Just started:
Petty: The Biography (Warren Zanes)
I bought the Warren Zanes book when it was released but have not read it yet. I hope you enjoy it.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
Old 03-29-22, 01:13 PM  
DD546

Just finished two. I liked both of them. The Hollow Places by T. Kingfisher. It's a fantasy horror book with a little humor thrown in. I enjoyed it. I also read Twenty Years Later by Charlie Donlea. It had a twist that I didn't figure out until almost the end. It was a good, fast read.
Old 03-30-22, 10:42 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD546 View Post
Just finished two. I liked both of them. The Hollow Places by T. Kingfisher. It's a fantasy horror book with a little humor thrown in. I enjoyed it.
T. Kingfisher (aka Ursula Vernon) is becoming a must-read author for me. Her other horror novel, The Twisted Ones, scared the **** out of me while also having funny moments and kind, caring characters. I also really enjoyed her YA-ish fantasy A Wizard's Guide to Defensive Baking, which features a malevolent sourdough starter

I've been caught up in the "Ice Planet Barbarian" series which is... something. Lots of explicit sex, but also suspenseful with interesting world building. Each one is fairly short so they are quick reads.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Old 03-31-22, 07:30 AM  
Dancing Queen

Just finished:
The Woman Who Walked in Sunshine (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency #16, Alexander McCall Smith)

Just started:
The Birchbark House (Birchbark House #1, Louise Erdrich)
Old 03-31-22, 10:24 AM  
SpiritYogi

Just finished The Golden Couple by Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen. Good mystery novel.

Tags
audiobooks, books, danielle friedman, kindle, reading, spring reading